Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Well Known Affiliate Caught Cheating
    I was shocked! Blair.com runs two affiliate programs with CJ and Performics. Over the Black Friday weekend, Blair.com ran a 20% OFF Everything promo. Over the weekend, I found an affiliate bidding on Blair branded keywords who was sending the traffic directly to Blair.com. Because his bids were higher than mine, his ad was bumping those of Blair.com. It took some digging, but I was finally able to identify the affiliate. I immediately tossed the affiliate (he had been warned 3 previous times about brand-name bidding) and told him I would begin reversing commissions, because CJ doesn't end the partnership for a week. No response from the affiliate.

2 weeks later, the same affiliate was doing the same thing on the weekend, but through a partnership at Performics under a different name. He was immediately booted from that program, too, and commissions were again reversed.

I just thought some other AM's might be interested to find out who this was. I'm betting he's in most many merchant programs.

If you'd like to know who this affiliate is, please email me for details.
    Christopher Park
    Affiliate/Partnerships Manager
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074
    AIM: BLAIRAffiliates
    Twitter: BLAIRAffiliates

E-mail sent.

Does anyone know why CJ insists on giving the offender 7 days? I love the immediate gratification I get on LS when I can remove an affiliate directly after finding them doing something wrong.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Get 'em! Thanks for offering to share with others! That's one critical part of getting shitake stopped that's too often missing.

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Does anyone know why CJ insists on giving the offender 7 days? I love the immediate gratification I get on LS when I can remove an affiliate directly after finding them doing something wrong.
    I, too, enjoy the instant satisfaction of clobbering a violator at Performics! For what it's worth, I reported the violation to CJ, and they were more than willing to take the affiliate down immediately for me.
    Christopher Park
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hey! How come my Blair links stopped workin??????

LOL - Good work CP

Online Marketing Consultant
    1. Because sometimes it is from a merchant who really is just dumb or severely misinformaed and makes a mistake and it is not the affiliates fault so it gives the affiliate time to clean out the links and let them put up competitors links etc...

2. Sometimes sites will get hijacked and when the merchant goes to check up on the site, all of the sudden it is different, or someone uploaded innapropriate photos if they allow photo sharing and it was a one time thing...this also gives the affiliate a week to get ahold of the merchant to try and work something out.

3. In case the affilaite is on vacation, it gives them time to return so they can then change out their links.

I'm sending my email now =0).
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Email sent.

Thanks Christopher!

Boy, I can tell you how many times I've wanted to be able to just post offender's information right here on ABW.

~Bob

Email sent - thank you

I am having issues with this with two affiliates right now......

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Christopher email sent.

Thanks for the heads up cause those people, specially well known that should know better, we are all tired of them, that is also where I draw the line 3 warnings, should be enough and a repeat after the warnings is lifetime decline from all programs. I've warned a few over the years and often they do listen and correct any bad doings but if we don't get tought, the good guys loose and we don't like that around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    email sent.

Thanks Christopher!

Boy, I can tell you how many times I've wanted to be able to just post offender's information right here on ABW.

~Bob
    I'd like to know too.. It would help us publishers if we knew which competitors are doing these violations, so we know who not to trust or get in bed with.

Outing them will be part of the UnethicalAffiliates.com initiative.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I was gonna ask what was wrong with posting names right now of unquestionable violators?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Merchants are very hesitant to publicly out any affiliate, no matter how bad they are. I'll be very anxious to see how the UnethicalAffiliates.com initiative balances that concern from merchants, the concerns about affiliates being outed unjustly, and just where the lines get drawn. If anyone can do it, Haiko can.

The networks have shown that they aren't going to step in and stop the bad players. Many OPMs are short-sighted enough that they won't take a stand against it. Many merchants don't even realize it's happening. Others are being blackmailed ("if you don't let me, I'll send the traffic to your competitors"). I'm hopeful that this initiative will take some major steps in cleaning up our industry.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thread moved, will comply with general counsel's request.

In the future I'd rather handle these situations by having the merchant submit the situation for review. We can then expose them after attempting to rectify / clarify the issue of non-compliance with with affiliate in question.

Thanks, Haiko.

Sorry. I wasn't aware of the proper procedure. I just felt that it might help some other AM's at ABW to know who this was.
    Christopher Park
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074

Thumbs up
    No, no problem at all Chris - you didn't do anything wrong. Since there really isn't a SOP for the forum yet I guess more than anything I was outlining a sample procedure for future issues.

I really appreciate that you are allowing others to PM you for the information [img]images/icons/icon14.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon14.gif[/img]
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Haiko, you may want to use the word "alledged" in this forum?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Bob,

You raise a good point, but for me to list a company here they would have been caught, told, asked to rectify and blatantly disregard it all and continue to act unethically, so there wouldn't be any alleged anything, it's a definite then

In this particular case CP already booted them with cause so it's not alleged either.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    In this particular case CP already booted them with cause so it's not alleged either.
    Haiko, CP did the right way .. warning the affiliate a few times etc. But not all merchants act that way.

Some merchants (unethical ones) do weird stuff with weird reasons to reverse some transactions. I come across these sort of merchants who act with haste, disgust one out of a thousand. These ones are usually a disgrace to the industry and are usually rare to find (1 out of a thousand usually) species. Any case, my point is that a merchant booting does not always mean that the affiliate is on the wrong side either. It could be out of merchant's questionable ethics, greed of saving a few $$ etc. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Could we list affiliates that we have removed and the reasons why? If we can back up our removals with evidence (say proof of brand term bidding using LS IP reports) would that make it legal to list the names of specific affiliates? We could submit them directly to Haiko as was suggested and let him make the call about guilt or innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    Some merchants (unethical ones) do weird stuff with weird reasons to reverse some transactions.
    Oh yes indeed!!!

They'll be listed in the unethicalmerchants section ... don't you worry.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Could we list affiliates that we have removed and the reasons why? If we can back up our removals with evidence (say proof of brand term bidding using LS IP reports) would that make it legal to list the names of specific affiliates? We could submit them directly to Haiko as was suggested and let him make the call about guilt or innocence.
    I'm game, submit 'em -> http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=464
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Other discussion split off to http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=99036 to keep this thread on topic.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Email sent.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast