One more tip if you want to make a living at this with CJ. Figure 1/2 of what a merchant will pay. For example if XYZ will give you $5.00 for a commissionable action on your site you need to discount this by 50% due to CJ tracking lapses and improvment(?) downtime. I just can't understand why there are such inconsistansies with CJ. I don't see this happening with Befree merchants I use on the same page. Always the same pattern with CJ-Steady commish for a week or two and then a big drop sometimes to ZERO.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Some thoughts and observations...

That's strange! Personally I don't find your 50% rule to hold up except for a couple of merchants, and it doesn't seem to match any CJ downtime. It's more like, when Music123 and some others get near the reverse button, DUCK! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

The merchants are quite predicable once you've had them on a while and it's possible to predict the behavior of the individual programs.

Dunno about the differences in the network reporting. It's an oddity that comes up rarely but I have read of what you are describing in months past. Unfortunately I've got no explanation, though...it's not something I see in my own reports but I have my pages set up differently than the ones you talked about.

As for the upgrades, I've read mixed postings about them. A lot of people always say things are Screwed but there's usually one or two who will be singing and dancing, saying how much better things are after the stats update! So updates seem to be a mixed bag.

My 2c.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some thoughts and observations...

That's strange! Personally I don't find your 50% rule to hold up except for a couple of merchants, and it doesn't seem to match any CJ downtime. It's more like, when Music123 and some others get near the reverse button, DUCK! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

The merchants are quite predicable once you've had them on a while and it's possible to predict the behavior of the individual programs.

Dunno about the differences in the network reporting. It's an oddity that comes up rarely but I have read of what you are describing in months past. Unfortunately I've got no explanation, though...it's not something I see in my own reports but I have my pages set up differently than the ones you talked about.

As for the upgrades, I've read mixed postings about them. A lot of people always say things are Screwed but there's usually one or two who will be singing and dancing, saying how much better things are after the stats update! So updates seem to be a mixed bag.

My 2c.

Leader must have posted twice because she know people like me don't get it the first time. While I don't have the experience of leader I do have a few years with several merchants. One kind of settles in with the good ones and promotes them. The good ones have always been predictable and reliable with very few reversals.
    When I start having problems with a merchant they are gone. It is a fact that you can make a nice living in affiliate marketing if you are willing to expend the time and effort.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

It was her 2c
    1c per post

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with both, whether it is tracking, parasites, or the reverse button, you should only count on 50% of your earnings with CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    Last month was my worst month yet at CJ but still only 10% reversals.

I think if you are getting 50% reversals you need to chose your merchants more carefully.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

To clarify, I only have one merchant that reverses that much--Music123. Other reversal maniacs I had have long been dumped or closed their programs.

The remaining ones that I have are much better and I don't have to "take off 50%" from CJ figures across the board.

50% reversal sounds pretty high, even 15% is too high for me. Like what PerfectG said, choose your merchants more carefully. Oh yes, I HAD merchants who reversed 50%-100% of my sales, but these merchants would disappear from my site FAST.

I have yet gotten around to try the same merchant in different networks, though I sometimes wonder about tracking (not necessarily only CJ tracking).

When CJ is down for any reason, my sales before and after usually are pretty consistent, and my sales are in proportion with my traffic.

I still have a lot to learn, but the most important two things I have learned are: 1) partner with reliable merchants, and 2) increase targeted traffic.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread