Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Amazing how things work out during life's little struggles.

Last year, on April 16th - I was awake most of the night with pain that I easily attributed to my gall-bladder. Being the quarrelsome ol' bastard that I am, I waited until 0800 (a couple hours after my lovely bride had gone to work) to actually go to the emergency room; although I had been in severe pain throughout the night.

The folks at Torrance Memorial Hospital were true gems in the fact that, while looking at my gall-bladder for problems - they found that I had cancer in my left kidney. The kidney was removed, and all appeared well for a substantial amount of time.

Well, I am one of those ridiculously anal-retentive folks who want to not only know what is wrong; but also what will be wrong in the future. Thus, I began my odyssey into the rhelm of cancer in general, and kidney-cancer in particular.

Lo and behold, my multitude of hours of research drove me to the conclusion that I (because of my history - medical and otherwise) would eventually come down with cancer in another - more deadly and painful - type of cancer within a year or two, simply because of the type of cancer present in my kidney at that time.

Well, fellow ABestWeb friends, today all of my most formidable fears were realized.

I have lung-cancer, and my chances of survival for any significant period of time are nil.

My reason for writing this to you folks is simple actually - for some time now, you have been family, antagonists, and friends. Thus, I felt an obligation to let you know what is going on - prior to most.

In actuality; and ironically, I will probably be spending even more time on this board than I have previously - simply because I have been told that I will be bedridden at the least, and house-bound at the best for some time in the near future.

I want you all to know that I appreciate you. Further, I thank you all (yes, Ssanf - even you) for allowing me into your world. I plan to spend my last days doing every damned thing I have ever wanted to do - but decided to put off for whatever reason.

My very best to you all....

Don Council (Obstinatedon)

Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

Anonymous

Obstinatedon, altough you and I have not really interacted, I'm familiar with your posts and I want to tell you how sorry I am to read what is happening to you.

I can only imagine the sorrow and fear you felt upon listening to the news.

This will sound trite and dumb, but never lose hope. I myself have been dealing with serious health issues forever, and have made it much further than most thought I would. I've spent many a night awake in fear of what may await me, but the hope that things will get better keep me going.

Thanks for confiding in us. Keep us posted and don't forget that thi is a place where you can turn to and vent when you neeed it.

{{{HUGS}}}

wow Don. I don't know what to say.

All too often, the people you grow to despise for their corporate ties and business/online personas are a pleasure to meet in person, over a drink, when the boxing gloves are off. You are no exception.

I wish you the best, Don.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you netsu. You can count on the fact that I plan to go down fighting.

Scott-boy, how are you? You are right of course. Many's the day at LinkShare when I thought that BeFree would have been so much better off had Gordon ceeded his shares and sold to Stephen.

As far as you and I are concerned pal - I tend to do one of two things as it pertains to people whom I meet outside the ether of the internet. I like them very much and will let everyone I meet know that, or I dislike them very much and keep that to myself.

You, my friend, are in the first category.

Best to you...

Obstinatedon

Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

Anonymous

I am in shock and dismay at this news. It breaks my heart. I wish I had words of comfort but I can't think of a single thing to say that would help. I anticipate such a fate as well. And, my faith is all I really have in the final analysis. I hope yours is strong and a comfort to you.

We come into this life for the lessons to be learned here. I think you have the best plan to learn as many lessons of joy as you can during the time that you have to use.

I am glad you think of us as family. And in every family there are those we like, love admire, disdain, hate and so on. But, no matter what, family is still family for all that. Yes, do spend as much time with us as you can for you are indeed one of our own and belong with us in these hard times.

Blessed Be,
    Sandra

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    GOD bless you Sandra...

And, thank you very much for the sentiment.

Don

Anonymous

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope to read more and more of your posts for a long, long time.

http://www.kowabunga.net

ABW Ambassador
    Don
    Your post leaves me speechless. Not knowing what to say that could make you feel better. Please don't give up hope! Like you, I feel all of ABW are my friends. Live your life to the fullest, you are in my prayers!
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Please forgive me all, if I do not respond for some time tonight. I have discovered that I am a softy after all, and need to have time to wipe the tears from my cheeks - while continuing to clear my throat.

Best to you all....

Don

Anonymous

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Can relate to too many tears being shed over this terrible disease.
    I have also sent you a private message
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Don,
    All the best doesn't really convey the message I want to get across. But I don't know what else to say.
    You have my thoughts and prayers.

Game on!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Don,
    In times like this, I am always at a loss for words. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers each day, and will continue to be until you make a full recovery.

I've sent you a Private Message that I hope says it a little better.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    Don--

I'm so sorry to hear this news, but I'm also glad to see that you've accepted reality and that you're making the best of your life. Even though I hardly know you, you will always be in my thoughts when working in this crazy industry we call Affiliate Marketing.

Keep your head up, Don. And remain as obstinate as ever.

Michael

I am sorry as well, and know that whatever is left for you is much more than you could hope for. I will look forward to all your future posts here, especially the one's in the current affairs area

Hang in there - we're rootin' for ya!

Fred

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Don- I am stunned. Although I have no idea what you really look like, my image of you is that of a tough old fellow, someone who's won more fights than he's lost. Hang in there, and fight it to the end, Don. All of us are pulling for you, if there's anyone on this board that could beat something like this, it'd be a guy like you.

I'm really sorry, Don.

I drank what??! -Socrates

Oh Don, I'm so very sorry to hear your news.

I hope you will make or find the time to do those things you want to do, whatever they may be.

A lot of people you've never met really do care what happens to you.

Donna

Don,

I don't know what to say other than I'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

I'm very sad to hear this news, even though we've never met. ABW is a big family, and when something like this happens, it affects all of us in some way.

I hope we'll be getting "obstinate" posts from our friend Don for a long time to come.

Andy

Don,
    I am fairly new to this forum and you dont know me but i really want you to know my prayers are with you.

Dan

Don,

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you and your family embark upon your final journey in this lifetime. Enjoy life now as much as you can for as long as you can.

You've left your mark upon many of us here even if we haven't had personal contact with you and you won't be forgotten.

Heidi
    Fit2a-t - Make Money Selling T-Shirts From Your Site!!

I don't know what to say!

I always love reading your post.
    I looked at you as a Big Brother in ABW (even we haven't met in person),
    your post always have the spike that I always love reading.

I appreciate what I have learn from your post and the joy of laughing once in a while on some funny stuff. I thank you for all that Don.

I am very sad to hear these news, I will pray for you and hope to see more of your post here longer!

God Bless you Don and our thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and Kisses

"God Bless the United States Arm Forces"

Thank god for them protecting us and live our life safely in a daily basis!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    Hi "Pal",

I sure am sorry to hear your bad news and hope you can somehow manage to beat it.

Life is always full of surprises but of course there is are certainties as well.

I know from being here for a while that you've hung in and fought with zeal on so many different issues with such character and I expect no less from you now .

I has been a pleasure sir having you as both my opponent and an ally! If there is anything we can help you with just let us know.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Don,

I've been looking at the reply screen for the last 15 minutes and still feel speechless. We are all here but for a short time, and you are an example of what it means to truly live your life. I really enjoyed your posts and our "chats." Indeed you are part of the abw family, and am so glad you plan on spending more time here.

You know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I have no doubt you will continue to live your life as you have been, to the fullest. I'm sure you also have a couple of right hooks in store for the big C.....in typical Don fashion.

All my best to you and your lovely bride.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Don, i don't know what to say, you have always been the one with the level head around here when things get heated up. You usually cut thru the BS and deal with the facts fairly. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and if you ever want to chat, you can usually find me in chat throughout the day. Just take care of yourself as best as you can and drop by often.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Utterly speechless.

Don, during the various chats I had with you I've noticed one thing: You are a determined and strong minded man. Put up your best fight and don't give up - Don, miracles do happen. I look forward to your posts and will continue to... Don, there are people that need you... don't give up yet... fight like the obstinatedon we all know. Please.

Akiva

(((Don))) you will be in my prayers.

I have learned so much from you and always enjoyed your posts - even when we tilted at windmills.

The tiger heard and listened and learned...

Thank you!

Vicki

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast