Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a single cj link or banner shows on my computer
    I have not updated anything at all. No new installs, and as a matter of fact, I even removed all virus protection. I still cannot see a single banner or link from cj. I cannot even get to cj.com, or any of the merchant sites through their affiliate links.

Is anyone else having s similar problem?
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Lightbulb
    did this happen suddenly?

Yes Herb,

It just started happening Tuesday. I have tried everything!
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Lightbulb
    I assume you are using Windows; search for a "hosts" file [*hosts*] and see if cj is in it.

some malware may have gotten through although usually they try to block the antivirus places in the hosts file.

If all virus & internet security software is "really" removed, then the issue seems likely to be related to DNS lookups, which actually start in the local "hosts" file. Some viruses & trojans insert invalid lookup information in your "hosts" file -- try searching for that keyword for exact instructions on finding this file. Perhaps your virus or internet security software used this tactic?

Herb,

I did a search for [*hosts*] and found nothing new. If you can help, I can send you a screen shot of what it came up with. or I can attach it to a reply.

Thanks for your help! I am really perplexed

Lightbulb
    that was without the brackets but with the asterisks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    "really" removed
    it really is!

Can you explain what you mean by search for the exact keyword?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    that was without the brackets but with the asterisks, right?

yes just the *s

Lightbulb
    If you were able to find any hosts file at all, you have to open them and see what is inside. Windows doesn't need any.

when virii modify the hosts file(s) they usually put in lines that make the computer look for localhost or 127.0.0.1 when looking at a particular url. so when looking for an antivirus site like trendmicro.com the computer can only see into itself, instead of going on the internet.

i can get to all antivirus sites. I just downloaded a new version of avg, I searched symantec for answers all week. the ONLY site I cannot get to is CJ.com.

the files I found were dreamweaver files with the word hosts in the filenames

Quote Originally Posted by tmmmandm
    i can get to all antivirus sites. I just downloaded a new version of avg, I searched symantec for answers all week. the ONLY site I cannot get to is CJ.com.

the files I found were dreamweaver files with the word hosts in the filenames
    not familiar with dreamweaver (I'm a dinosaur) but I'd check the contents of those, if I could, just in case. (for mention of cj)

anyone else have ideas?

Yes Herb,

It just started happening Tuesday. I have tried everything!
    tmmmandm, 2 quick questions: 1. Are you using the Windows firewall? and 2. Do you have automatic updates turned on?

The reason for these 2 questions is that whenever I get a call from my sister that something isn't working on her system as it should it is usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Why? Because Tuesday is the day that MS downloads their automatic updates.

If you answered yes to either of these questions, turn off the Windows firewall and try again.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

rematt,

thanks i tried that already. I even went so far as removing the windows update. the firewall is turned off for now, and i am not even running vista. I use xp

All problems DID start on tuesday, but my last windows update was 12/12

I know i will eventually get this figured out, so i welcome all the suggestions

thanks all

The hosts file is a hidden file so you need to make sure your searching hidden and system files or the search won't find it. Usually on XP it's....

Windows > system32 > drivers > etc

But again, if your folder settings are not showing hidded and system files you won't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313
    The hosts file is a hidden file so you need to make sure your searching hidden and system files or the search won't find it. Usually on XP it's....

Windows > system32 > drivers > etc

But again, if your folder settings are not showing hidded and system files you won't see it.
    Correct. Windows creates a hosts file by default and unless you or an application has removed it, it's there.

Also, to eliminate your ISP as the problem you can try viewing your site through a proxy like http://www.kroxy.net/. If you can see your CJ links when using the proxy, then it's possible that your ISP has blocked their address for some (stupid) reason.

My money is on the hosts file though.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

after removing dreamweaver, the only hosts are hosts (9/25/07), hosts.msn (9/25/07), lmhosts.sam (3/31/03)

all in system32/drivers/etc

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Correct. Windows creates a hosts file by default and unless you or an application has removed it, it's there.

Also, to eliminate your ISP as the problem you can try viewing your site through a proxy like http://www.kroxy.net/. If you can see your CJ links when using the proxy, then it's possible that your ISP has blocked their address for some (stupid) reason.

My money is on the hosts file though.

-rematt
    THATS IT

I cant even get to kroxy.net! But I viewed my site through aol (never thought of that) and its is fine. It is the *&%^$ ISP we use FDN. They are horrific!

thanks for your help, now itis time to start biitchin at them!

thanks for your help, now itis time to start biitchin at them!
    Give 'em heck!

-rematt

update on problem..
    cj did something that blocks them from level 3 servers.

i can get to the merchants pages, and see the banners ONLY through aol, but i cannot get to cj.com at all from office computer, wheter aol. ie, firefox.. etc

office computer
    It's extremely possible your office's firewall is blocking them. That wouldn't care what browser your using.

bobby,

all of a sudden? with NO UPDATES or changes to the server or the firewall?
    sounds like they made changes on their side

bobby,

all of a sudden? with NO UPDATES or changes to the server or the firewall?
    sounds like they made changes on their side
    tmmmandm if CJ made a change that has such a drastic effect on you I'm sure others would be experiencing it also and we see many more posts with the same issues.

When you say your "office computer" are you referring to a computer at your job? If that's the case CJ's domains may have been intentionally blocked to prevent employees from performing affiliate type activities at work.

-rematt

Affiliate Manager
    My wife's company uses FDN here in central Florida and they were having DNS problems this week. She changed her DNS server from automatic (FDN) to a public one (one of Yahoo's) and fixed the problem.

If you have used Spybot Search and Destroy on your computer to find any spyware and used the Immunize function, CJ will be totally blocked. Spybot installs a new HOSTS file with all of the CJ domains and effectively blocks your computer from accessing any of those sites. All affiliate links will lead to 404 pages. If you reverse the immunize function, CJ links will work again.

CJ is aware of this and has been for a couple of months. If you contacted them and they did not mention this, they should have.

If FDN does anything similar to protect itself from spyware and malware, that could be why they don't allow CJ links to complete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast