@#$% it. My day sucks. Car problems while sick.
    We have 3 cars and we need every one of them. Got a minivan, an SUV, and a small 4 door.

My wife calls today saying that the van is overheating and she is at a rest stop. No problem, right??? I just go pick her up and let her take one of the other cars "off the lot" and she can go do her thing.

Wrong. The 4 door car has an electrical problem. For some reason it has a slow power drain and it intensifies when there is cold weather. Well, this past weekend it drained past the point of starting once again. I can't figure out where the power drain is coming from. Electrical has never been my strong suit. I can do a water pump, alternator, transmission, etc...but electrical problems are a mystery to me. Anyway, it might be past the point of jumpstarting now (should have done it Monday). When there is a constant power drain, sometimes it just gets so dead that it won't recharge.

So, this brings us to the last vehicle, (which I currently have for sale on Craigslist because "we have 3 vehicles and 2 drivers."---bad idea?) This is the SUV. I was trying not to drive it to keep it clean for weekend showings. Nothing is wrong with it and I have replaced nearly everything on it, including putting a reman transmission in and new upper/lower ball joints. Gets me thinking with so many major things I have fixed on there, maybe she is a keeper after all?

To top it all off, I am sick with some sort of flu/cold thing. I have a million projects and one of them is going to be a trip to the van at the rest stop with some dexcool antifreeze and another is doing a "frankenstein" on the car. AARRGH!

-sfcom

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'd say that so far today you win the "suckiness contest."

I'm coming down with something myself. Sore throat, sneezing, but no temp. Hopefully both our immune systems will get busy and kick some butt.

Keep the SUV. Donate Frankenstein to a charity and take the tax deduction. We also have a Frankenstein which we hope to replace this year. I figure it's worth a good laugh on the trade-in, but not much more.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Dang - you guys make me feel good about my problems. :-)

Positive energy and happy immune systems to all!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I've got a pair of blisters the size of Minnesota on my feet from the treadmill, but I still feel your pain!

Sorry, sending positive thoughts and vibes. Feel better.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

sfcom
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.
    Here's a tip that might help you find that electrical power drain in you car tho. {When you're feeling up to it.}
    Unhook the negative battery post and put a volt meter from the post to the body ground. Then remove all the fuses [noteing where they are located by size in the fuse box] and see if the meter still has a votage reading. If it does, then unhook the wires from the alternator. If you still have a reading then either the starter/selonoid has a bad winding or a courtesy lamp is staying on. By the description it doesn't sound like you have a short anywhere or the voltage would drop more drasticly, like over night.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-pcmall.com
    Here's a tip that might help you find that electrical power drain in you car tho. {When you're feeling up to it.}
    Unhook the negative battery post and put a volt meter from the post to the body ground. Then remove all the fuses [noteing where they are located by size in the fuse box] and see if the meter still has a votage reading. If it does, then unhook the wires from the alternator. If you still have a reading then either the starter/selonoid has a bad winding or a courtesy lamp is staying on. By the description it doesn't sound like you have a short anywhere or the voltage would drop more drasticly, like over night.
    Real bad advise for someone that:
    Electrical has never been my strong suit
    First: Because he might not even have a voltmeter!
    second: Even though I was an electronic technician before, and I know a lot about Electrical and electronics circuits and how they work, I would never remove all the fuses by size, in order to find where is the problem.

To begin with, he haven't said yet, what kind of a small 4 door car is.

It could be a Volvo or a Yugo, so we can't just help him with the electrical problems that he have, until we know if it could be a fuse, or just a dirty battery post, or just another Ford manufacturer recall car.

ABW Ambassador
    sfcom,
    "My day sucks" has been my favorite phrase for a week! Sorry about your car problems and I hop you feel better.
    Lily

Mr. Sal.
    I've been in electronics too for a very long time. And that is a proceedure that I'd use to narrow down the area that is causing the problem be domestic or forein cars. He did state that he had changed alternators. And it sounds as if he is mechanicly inclined. He can try my suggestion or leave it. Was only trying to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-pcmall.com
    Mr. Sal.
    I've been in electronics too for a very long time. And that is a proceedure that I'd use to narrow down the area that is causing the problem be domestic or forein cars. He did state that he had changed alternators. And it sounds as if he is mechanicly inclined. He can try my suggestion or leave it. Was only trying to help him.
    1- I too I've been involved in electronics since before 71'!

2 - Do you know how many times I made a boo boo too, back then? But, if you tell, I might have to kill you!

So, unless he tell us what kind of small 4 door it's, we can only wonder about:
    Que Será Será

Sound like we're about the same age. I still make boo boo's too. That's why we have an electrical engeneer. And quess what. He does them too. Probably more than me. But I've been at it longer.

I appreciate the warm wishes everyone. Thank you.

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

Now it is time for you to laugh your asses off...

Here is how it went when I attempted to jump start it this afternoon:

open car door
    put key in ignition to see if any juice
    pop hood
    leave door wide open
    get in truck
    move it over to proper position
    pop hood on truck
    hook cables up
    hear a click from inside the car
    wind blows door shut
    find out hooking the cables up made the power door locks activate
    restrain myself from yelling @#$% @#$% @#$%

nice.

Well, at least now I know it is potentially a problem with the power door lock switch stuck in the "activate" position. But, you would think that when you go to unlock the doors that it would just lock them again---not the case.

Anyway, I am just going to pull all 3 of the PDL fuses and see if that cures the problem. If it does then I will just keep them out as long as they weren't blown and that solves the problem. If any are blown, then I get to do some detective work. YIPPEE!

getting some better. thanks again.

-sfcom

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread