Don't buy lingerie @ 2AM says credit co
    Man, was it a close call today

I ate lunch at "Glamour Department Store" and wanted to pay for lunch via my major credit card. In front of a long line of customers the cashier announced, "Your card has been refused."
    Man that took me for a loop, I said, "Swipe it again" and I thought to myself that I was up-to-date with my payments
    I had just enough singles in my wallet to cover the lunch (I had previously left a cash tip with the waitress). People behind me in line for the cashier were tapping their feet and seemed annoyed that I was counting singles.

Later on when I got home I called the major credit card company and told them of my embarrassing episode at lunch. Customer service informed me of a "temporary block on my account" and I demanded to know why because my payments were-up-to-date and although I had recently used my cc online I knew the limit had not been exceeded.
    I was told that there were some unknown charges that were being investigated. I mentioned 3 online stores I had recently purchased from and the reply was that those were the stores but items had been bought from one store on two separate nights at 2AM.
    I told customer service that 2AM is when I like to shop online for lingerie and that good sales were going on right now. I said I was furious that my account was blocked and if I like to shop online at 2AM then that's my business *plus* the items I buy are my business too.
    I'm really angry
    I told them that if I really had a problem with a stolen card they wouldn't do squat.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia - I feel your pain.......

But I have to ask good sales going on right now on lingerie? care to divulge where?

I had to get a second credit card just for that purpose, for a backup. They don't call, they don't email, they just block your account and wait for you to figure it out. It's utterly ridiculous. I haven't carried cash in years.

I'm all for the companies trying to protect my accounts, but there needs to be a better system than they way they handle it now. It's not just one of them, it's any credit card company I've ever dealt with.

It happens to everyone from time to time. Don't think they singled you out. It has happened to me before with Amazon 2x. You can't get a much more trusted internet merchant than that.

Who cares about the people tapping their feet in line behind you. You shouldn't worry so much about what others think. Either they like you or they don't. And in situations like that is when they show their true colors.

FYI, I carry the 800 line for the fraud department in my wallet now too. That way I can get to them before they send me out the notice via snail mail.

-sfcom

I have been very happy with an MBNA (now Bank of America) card that I have had since 1991. They have never blocked my card, but have called a few times over the years to verify unusual activity. I don't shop for lingerie at 2:00 a.m. , but I have gone out holiday shopping and made purchases in a half dozen stores on the same eveing. That is not close to my usual "pattern" so they called to confirm that it was me.

A couple years ago they reached me by phone to see if I was making an $1100+ purchase at a WalMart in Atlanta. I told the person that they had reached me at my home number and the address was in Baltimore - so evidently not. They denied/blocked that sale. They also caught someone trying to rent a car the next day. We had vacationed in Savannah a couple of months before and someone must had copied my card number at a restaurant. They had a new card to me right away.

I have also had verification calls from my Capital One Business card - but never a block. Last year I got the Affiliate Card being advertised here. No problems yet, but I do like the fact that I get a rebate check every other month.

So, if you look around there are still some cards out there that do provide service. But, I agree with Hectic that you should always have a backup.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

We recently had a rather comical series of unfortunate events that ended up with a scene like Rhia describes.

Dave saw a Flat screen HD TV in the Black Friday circular and wanted to go "pick one up". I made fun of him for thinking he could just go get one, so he called my bluff by going out and getting a rain check at 5:00 pm for an unbelievable price. I laughed.

He started calling daily to see if they got any more in. Finally someone told him what I had been telling him all along. "We aren't going to get any more of those at that price for months".

He goes online to a different store, picks out a similar model and good deal and orders it, using our primary credit card. This is our mileage card and I use it for almost everything. Two hours later he gets an email that says the TV is out of stock and replacement stock is not expected so the order is being cancelled and the charge will be reversed.

The next day he calls the original store about the rain check and Lo and Behold, they have some in. Will they honor the price? Yes. So we race out to the original store and get someone to find our TV and load it up to put in our car.

The card is flagged "Call their security department". Not denied, not explained, just almost terminal hold in the electronics department of a busy big box store during Christmas shopping. Finally after a good 10 minutes on hold (which the clerk said that credit card company had done to her 5 times that day already) - the security department at the cc co wants Dave to identify himself with the security questions. Why? Because there were 2 TVs purchased in less than 24 hours and one of them was online.

Why, if they are going to do that, can't they provide a direct line to a recording that says there are security concerns - obtain proof of identification - or at least say what's wrong so we can address it? We could have easily provided another card and saved everyone 30 minutes.

It's nice they're paying attention, but with their ability to reverse transactions, wouldn't you think they could just call us?

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    I had to get a second credit card just for that purpose, for a backup. They don't call, they don't email, they just block your account and wait for you to figure it out. It's utterly ridiculous. I haven't carried cash in years.

I'm all for the companies trying to protect my accounts, but there needs to be a better system than they way they handle it now. It's not just one of them, it's any credit card company I've ever dealt with.
    The way the cashier said, "Your account has been refused" made me feel like a low-life at a big department store.

Rolet, look around -- all the stores are starting their sales.
    I will not divulge the individual places from which I made "disputed" transactions.
    Right now the "after Christmas" & "end of the year" sales are starting at many places.

Customer service found it unusual for me to buy lingerie from more than one store at around 2AM each time -- they think a late night pattern is unusual regardless of the amounts of the transactions (nothing to raise eyebrows).
    I don't usually spend that much on my credit card (I prefer cash when I have it handy. My late night lingerie fantasies are unusual
    Actually (don't tell any of my relations) I do have someone in mind and that may have spiked my fantasies but with or without someone I love lingerie. Someone sent me money early as a gift and that's how I wanted to spend it.

I told customer service that I claim the transactions to the disputed merchants and I am willing to pay the bill.

I said I wasn't buying chemicals to create bombs or AK-47s from Soldier of Fortune Magazine -- that would be unusual.

$173.50 is not that unusual for a female shopping for lingerie.
    I said $3,000.00 might have been unusual.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    FYI, I carry the 800 line for the fraud department in my wallet now too. That way I can get to them before they send me out the notice via snail mail.
    -sfcom
    I'll never forget in 1990 someone used my cc number to rent a car in Germany.
    The only thing was at that time I had never been to Germany.
    Trying to get the credit card company to help me was like pulling teeth.
    That was fraud.

I am not disputing my recent lingerie transactions but maybe the credit card company still wants me to be naive when it comes to the boudoir

I've called the company 3 times today about the same "disputed transactions."
    You'd think they'd put it through since I usually try to pay my bills in full & on-time every month.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    I have been very happy with an MBNA (now Bank of America) card that I have had since 1991. They have never blocked my card, but have called a few times over the years to verify unusual activity. I don't shop for lingerie at 2:00 a.m. , but I have gone out holiday shopping and made purchases in a half dozen stores on the same eveing. That is not close to my usual "pattern" so they called to confirm that it was me.
    I have an MBNA card, too, and last year I bought some things online (not lingerie - Amazon) and then hit a bunch of stores to take advantage of the special late night hours. An electronics store was the fifth or sixth store I shopped at, and then I went to a clothing store. At the checkout, the woman ran my card through, and got a special code telling her to call them. They asked her to check my photo ID. Then when I got home, my husband said they had also called him, to explain what had happened - the combo of an online purchase and an electronics store purchase, as well as the unusual activity, had flagged the card. But they didn't block the purchase, though, just made sure the cashier verified I was who I claimed to be.

They were also the ones that called to confirm a couple of large online purchases, back when I first got the card.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    They don't call, they don't email, they just block your account and wait for you to figure it out. It's utterly ridiculous.
    Agree -- I've had this happen a few times as well --- what a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    Agree -- I've had this happen a few times as well --- what a pain!
    It's a display of control from credit card companies.
    I'm at their mercy -- perhaps someone from ABW told the credit card company that I am some type of strumpet? Or maybe the cc company figured that out on their own?

A string of lingerie purchases from different online stores at around 2AM or after on subsequent nights raised eyebrows to the point where I was humiliated at lunch today at a department store -- I was lucky I had enough singles to pay for my lunch.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    ...Customer service found it unusual for me to buy lingerie from more than one store at around 2AM each time -- they think a late night pattern is unusual regardless of the amounts of the transactions (nothing to raise eyebrows)...
    Yeah, but you've got to admit that most people do not understand the circadian rhythm of us affiliate marketing types. That's what probably throws them off; either that or they have some kinky thing about lingerie.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yeah, but you've got to admit that most people do not understand the circadian rhythm of us affiliate marketing types. That's what probably throws them off; either that or they have some kinky thing about lingerie.
    Late night is when I want to feast my eyes on lingerie models and wish I were in their place

I actually have a tryst in mind
    But if I write too much about it, it might not come true.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Rhia7, some banks/cc companies are like that, they have no clue when a real fraud may be happening.

Recently I went to fill up my car with about 30.00 worth of gas here locally when for some reason I was declined. I called card company on the spot (there is an 800 numner on the back you can call any time even from you cell while cashier waits, have done it before, that can verify if you and realease any holds, etc.) the lady told me it was strange that there were 3 similar transactions for gas on the same day. I told her of course, I have three cars and my company pays and just happened to fill them all up same day few hours apart, is that a crime. lol

But, this weekend I was in California, spent a few hundred dollars on same cc card and also put gas somewhere in Corona, CA. I was suspecting the bank would really block that one being that it was strange that my cc card was being used 3k miles away for gas, restaurants and other stuff, but nothing happened, nothing was blocked or even question yet, go figure. lol

Now, let me go look at some lingerie see what happens, for the wife.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't had a CC blocked, but a couple of years ago, they denied an online transaction out of the blue on me, forcing me to use another card. Then a couple of weeks later, they called and left a message, so I called back and they said..."uh...did you try to make a purchase at a, uh, Rivergold Corporation in the UK? It's [sounding horrified] online..."

Fortunately I had read the tiny type at the bottom of WordTracker's site (where it says it's part of Rivergold LLC or something like that), so I could confirm that yes I had tried to renew my subscription there!! And yes I know they're in London!

Since then I haven't had any problems with that card.

It did make me wonder what the company considered to be "normal use for my account" considering that almost all I use the thing for is buying stuff online! At least they seemed to have taken note when I said "and that charge'll come through every year," because the next year I didn't have any trouble renewing my WT sub.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    Now, let me go look at some lingerie see what happens, for the wife.

It's usually about 2AM or after when I finally hit the "complete the sale" button at the merchant's site -- then it takes a while to fill out my name & address etc...

If you want to "live on the edge" like me spend $85 at one merchant and then $67 at another and then be a big spender with $173.50 and $95...

I admit I love lingerie

You'll be accused of being unusual -- but maybe that can be incorporated into a romantic beginning for you & your wife...
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 21st, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've always had a circadian rhythm.

I don't think the items I bought would be considered "kinky" at all (at least not by those who are into "kink") but take a hypothetical situation: what if a couple (21 years & older) were into b0ndage (the "safe," "sane," and "consensual" type)?
    Does the cc company expect one of the people to buy [i.e. related items online] during the hours of 9AM to 5PM?

The good thing about the Internet is the "semi-privacy" of the purchases.
    The credit card company is exercising control and is putting its own stamp on what is "normal" and what is "unusual."

I have kept close watch over my credit card. If someone had stolen my wallet or pocketbook I would have notified the cc company immediately.
    I don't like this random branding of "unusual" and the blocking of my credit especially during the holiday shopping season.
    My purchases "in dispute" were not necessarily related to b0ndage
    [I'm more of a silk, satin, and lace girl but I'll wear leather ]
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 21st, 2007 at 12:30 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    It happens to everyone from time to time. Don't think they singled you out.
    The card has been fairly reliable. I discontinued a competitor's card and cut up "store cards" that charge too high an interest.

I've had this particular card since the late 90s and I've bought furniture and exotic vacations to Spain (in the past) with the card -- of course those purchases were mainly done between 9AM-5PM

I've bought clothes, shoes, cosmetics -- this is the first time they branded my spending as "unusual"

I don't maintain the same spending habits monthly although this past year I've been a conservative spender.

Note: See, this is the pattern -- I log off of ABW because it's late and I start to look at lingerie sites...yep, that's the "unusual pattern" in the making...
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 21st, 2007 at 01:11 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I told customer service that 2AM is when I like to shop online for lingerie and that good sales were going on right now.
    Lingerie: 1. Women's underwear and nightclothes.

Sorry Rhia, but our honeymoon is over!

Never again would I date another woman, that needs to buy underwear at 2AM, not even if I was responsible for ripping the one she was wearing at 1AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Sorry Rhia, but our honeymoon is over!

Never again would I date another woman, that needs to buy underwear at 2AM...
    At what time am I supposed to buy it?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I haven't had a CC blocked, but a couple of years ago, they denied an online transaction out of the blue on me, forcing me to use another card. Then a couple of weeks later, they called and left a message, so I called back and they said..."uh...did you try to make a purchase at a, uh, Rivergold Corporation in the UK? It's [sounding horrified] online..."

Fortunately I had read the tiny type at the bottom of WordTracker's site (where it says it's part of Rivergold LLC or something like that), so I could confirm that yes I had tried to renew my subscription there!! And yes I know they're in London!

Since then I haven't had any problems with that card.

It did make me wonder what the company considered to be "normal use for my account" considering that almost all I use the thing for is buying stuff online! At least they seemed to have taken note when I said "and that charge'll come through every year," because the next year I didn't have any trouble renewing my WT sub.
    Everytime I renew my wordtracker subscription I have trouble. Some cards won't even allow the transaction to go through. The one that does - always calls to confirm. I have had the same trouble when I register a domain through bluehost.com. But it usually sorts out in 1 or 2 calls.

I've had the same thing happen, with online purchases triggering suspicion and suspension of my account; luckily I always have a second card handy.

What's annoying is that the banks simply "disable the account" without actually contacting the customer. I'd certainly prefer if they contacted me (by email or phone) to let me know they have a concer, and tell me that if I don't respond within X hours they would de-activate the card. (The problem, of course, is that clever crooks use stolen credit cards for only for the first 24 hours or so, and then discard them.) Okay, then, suspend the account but call me immediately to notify me -- they have my phone number, which follows to my cell phone, so they can reach me pretty easily.

On the other hand, for that 2am purchase you'd probably be quite surprised and perhaps annoyed to get a phone call from your credit-card compay at 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I've had the same thing happen, with online purchases triggering suspicion and suspension of my account; luckily I always have a second card handy.
    I used to have 2 major credit cards but the one I continued has a very low interest rate, no annual fee, plus I get to pick free merchandise by "racking up points" (spending money) with the card. The card I discontinued had an annoying annual fee that I was not/am not willing to pay.

I used to have a bunch of "store cards" that I either no longer use/have formally discontinued because of exorbitant interest rates. I prefer to keep most charges on one credit card. Once my Sears card (I used mainly for automotive purposes) became a Mastercard I ditched that one too.

About 9 years ago (this is a true story) when I was applying for a mortgage I was denied by a bank because of Victoria's Secret's sloppy bookkeeping of their "store card." I had paid any debt with Victoria's Secret in full at the time of my mortgage application; the situation was so difficult I had to have an attorney contact Victoria's Secret's administration/accounting on my behalf -- I almost lost the chance to live where I wanted to live because of Victoria's Secret--I immediately cut up their credit card and allowed them to send me expensive glossy catalogs but I refuse to spend money/shop with them as I never got over their sloppy bookkeeping. The situation incited volatile emotions at home as my lingerie spending got blamed for an almost missed mortgage My Mother constantly said, "You should shop for bras at 'Department Store'" -- there was a reason why I had been a Victoria's Secret customer but putting my mortgage in jeopardy erased any loyalty.

The moral of the story is that I always thought it best to keep credit cards to a minimum especially in consideration of one's FICO score.

I've used the card I used during this "unusual disputed transaction period" for at least ten years and I have a good record of paying bills on time. I use the card for Internet purposes and for a local gym membership. Often I am conservative with money but this is "the holiday season" plus as I said before sales have already started with many merchants.

I live in a large congested city with major shopping and banks in walking distance.
    I try to pay cash when I can but the credit card can be convenient.

Think about this: if online purchases in general trigger suspicion and suspensions, that's not too good for affiliate marketers.

What I don't understand is why I needed to call 3 times for the cc company to put the orders through when I affirm that I made the transactions?
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 21st, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Geez. Somebody got their paws on my Visa number and cranked me for $11k once. The transactions cleared just fine; the bank didn't mind at all. I had to stumble upon it myself. Fortunately I caught it in time to get it resolved quickly and easily.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread