Unhappy and again - when a merchant asks you NOT to bid on speciic terms - Don't do it
    So I nicely asked a particular affiliate yesterday to stop bidding on my branded terms, reminded him that it is in our TOA, I voided two more sales for him this morning because of it, and then got an email from him in response to my email yesterday that states very clearly that he will remove all branded terms......I even thanked him for his cooperation.....dumb me

I go out to dinner this evening with my family, and come home to immediately log in and check my programs - I know I need a life - I am excited to see that I have three new sales in the last two hours, so I check my transactions. I am sure you can all guess what I found......

He quit bidding on our brand name specifically - but now is bidding on our URL - which in in the list of not allowed (I specifically stated no variation of either), so I got to void three more sales.....

This is so frustrating! I mean seriously isn't everyone taught this in Kindergarten? When you are asked not to do something, you don't do it....

So I get to go in tomorrow and send him another email with his final warning...This is the part of the job I hate, I hate having to be the mean AM but seriously........come on........you know better, so stop doing it!!!!! Quit trying to manipulate and cheat the system, you will get caught.....

Please I beg of all you affiliates who are even contemplating breaking the "rules" - don't do it, you will get caught and your commissions will be reversed and your AM's will hunt you down and terrorize your dreams....

OK I am done, well kind of, is it just me having a week like this? Is it random that somehow that my affiliates have decided to test the waters and see how far they can push me???? Or is it because this is the final days of the Holiday shopping madness??? Please someone say it isn't just me.......

Are you sure those aren't transaction posting from an earlier cookie rather than persistent violation??

yes sadly I am - in the merchant interface we can see time from when the cookie was dropped until the transaction took place...also all of the other sales I had to void for this specific affiliate were for the exact name of the Merchant, now he has switched the merchants domain name..........

That's too bad. Sounds like a rogue affiliate. At least you gave 'em some benefit of the doubt.

ABW Ambassador
    Eliminating non-cooperating affiliates is one healthy thing you can do for your program. Shows you are doing your job sincerely

There are a lot of parallels between raising kids and managing affiliates.

With kids, when you give them three chances to stop doing something, they'll use all three chances and you will train them that they can do anything they want wrong three times.

If they know that they shouldn't do it, you need to take action the very first time. If you think it might have been an accident or that they might not have known, a single warning is fine, but that warning should clearly state the consequences if it happens again and you should always follow through.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Sounds like this kid needs a good spanking. :-)

Affiliate Removed - SAS notified - Feedback left

He is still running his ads in Google and MSN - I just checked........

DONE

Thank you for posting this. As an AM, I too, hate having to spend time reprimanding affiliates. One hour spent investigating and emailing a rogue affiliate is one less hour I can spend helping all the good affiliates. It's very frustrating. Maybe your post will make someone hesitate before delving into the dark side.....
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

I agree w/ Michael's view on this -- there is no reason at all to give multiple warnings. In cases where something is more unclear in a merchant's bidding restrictions (as he also implied) ONE clarification warning is (IMHO) a good thing.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread