View Poll Results: Good idea to use an SSL certificate on an affiliate (non merchant) website?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 16.67%
  • No

10 83.33%
    Question Affiliate shopping cart, and SSL
    I've done affiliate marketing for a few years now, but my main website was very limited in what it could do because the host was primarily set up for free hosted accounts. I'm finally able to make the move to a much better host, and this new host offers a shopping cart, and SSL. Basicly, this is a two part question. First, is it possible to set up a shopping cart using my affiliate IDs (note: I'm not a merchant, only an affiliate), and secondly, if this is not possible, would it still make sense to take advantage of an SSL certificate for my site even if those sites who I refer my visitors to already have their own SSL certificates? Do you think this would help visitors feel safer, and would it help stop or would it create SSL warnings?

There is absolutely no need for an SSL nor a cart on an affiliate site.

Do more research on hosting options and find things you really need, like bandwidth, server software - ie cPanel, how many domains you can host, how many unique IPs, DNS services, mail servers etc.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Now, just out of interest: once they add items to their shopping carts (especially if they are items from different merchants), what happens next?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Now, just out of interest: once they add items to their shopping carts (especially if they are items from different merchants), what happens next?

Geno
    Good question, and I don't know the answer. I'm just trying to gain some insight from others who may have tried this method before.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    There is absolutely no need for an SSL nor a cart on an affiliate site.
    You don't think this would help with buyer confidence? Increase conversion? I also wonder what problems might arise from transferring a prospective buyer from one SSL secured site to another. Any thoughts?

No need for SSL certificates. Affiliates are normally engaged in pre-sale (i.e. preparing the customers for making that sale). The sale itself occurs on the merchant site. It is the merchant that should worry about SSL security; not you (the affiliate).

Geno
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Daymon, welcome to ABW.

Forget the SSL and the cart idea. Listen to Haiko and Geno; they absolutely know this business and are giving you the right advice.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I think it is important that a web host has up-to-date web applications for php, mysql, etc. and you should be able to have more than one domain on an account in case you want to have multiple sites. I've never needed a 'shopping cart' application installed on an affiliate site.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It will DECREASE consumer confidence if they try to buy something through one site's shopping cart--and then are shunted off to another site, with another shopping cart.

In my experience, what works best is to let the people know that the actual purchase will be happening at MerchantXYZ, and not to make an aff site look confusingly merchant-like.

A couple of GoodBulbs affiliates set up sites that look like merchants--they sent me thousands of hits, but didn't make a single sale.

People get scared when unexpected things happen; they suspect phishing. A merchant-looking site gives them the idea that they'll be completing the purchase on the same site they're on--but affiliates have to send their traffic to a different site in order to complete the sale. Done wrongly, consumers will think you're a trick site, whether or not you put an SSL on it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I am not going to plug my company here, but I will tell you that as for normal affiliate sites, you don't need an SSL or a shopping cart. As long as your hosting company can provide you all the resources you need and are there 24/7 with tech support, then as an affiliate that should be all you need.

There are two separate issues here: SSL and "shopping cart."

Shopping Cart: Unless you have the ability to accept orders, process payments, arrange for items to be shipped, and provide customer service, then you should absolutely not have a "shopping cart." At best, it will be confusing to the consumer; at worst, it will decrease conversions considerably.

SSL: The type of "security" provided by SSL is generally only an issue when consumers disclose personal information, and especially credit card numbers. Probably the most important issue here is bandwidth, as I believe that transferring the same content using SSL uses an immense amount of bandwidth, compared to an "insecure" page. In theory, there might be some consumers who'd feel more comfortable visiting your "secure" web site, but in most cases you're going to send them to a merchant site that is not secure except during checkout.

Thumbs up
    Thanks for all the help!! You've all made some really good points, and it seems I'd be better off just to stick with what I've been doing (referrals). I'm using Godaddy for hosting, and it seems they have just about anything I could need. Even if I shouldn't bother with SSL, or a shopping cart, I'm looking forward to making my site more dynamic for my sites visitors.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread