Question Google Ads On Merchant
    This is a stupid newbie question, I'm sure.... I just want to make sure I have this straight before I make a decision. I am doing a site. I was about to go with a SAS merchant that had a lot of nice items that I was looking for. One of the positives in their favor was the fact that they are exclusive SAS.

I was checking them out, when I noticed that they have Google ads near the bottom of their front page. Bad for me, right? I would think that could divert MY traffic away from making a commission for me..... right?

Are there any other glaring things that I need to look for when I'm checking a merchant out? I'm afraid that I'll overlook something that should be glaringly obvious, but won't recognize because I don't have enough experience under my belt. I haunt these forums regularly. I've learned a lot..... I know to check out a merchant's site...... and I poke my head in each forum to see if there is any merchant I need to add to my naughty list..... I'm just still unsure of a lot of things..... and the inclusion of adwords really struck me as odd..... I would expect to see them at an affiliate site..... not a merchant's site.

Thank you.

Oh.... and since I'm asking, does anyone have a good furniture site and good rug site that they would recommend? I like SAS and would prefer to stick with merchants from here.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I was checking them out, when I noticed that they have Google ads near the bottom of their front page. Bad for me, right? I would think that could divert MY traffic away from making a commission for me..... right?
    Right, and right. Search for "leaks" and "leaky merchant" to get a look at how disliked (by affiliates) the practice is.

It's only 55 mins after Christmas for me, though, so I'll leave you with that for now. Aunt and unc just left...time for relaxation

What Leader said. Also take a look at Michael Coley's Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies . While it was originally intended as a guide to merchants to help make their programs affiliate friendly, it also gives you a good idea of what things to look for and to avoid.

Keep reading and searching the forums and asking questions. The only stupid questions are the ones not asked and the ones that have been answered hundreds of times.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thank you..... I tried to search the forums, but didn't know what keywords to search for....... that helps a bunch!

LOL I think building websites is beginning to become my "relaxation"... stared at the murder-in-law all day, and where do I find myself the minute she leaves? On the computer! LOL

Happy Holidays!

Oooooo..... thanks rematt.... I was writing while you posted..... I'll check out that link now.....

Make sure your SAS merchants are on auto deposit. Good Luck!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    Make sure your SAS merchants are on auto deposit. Good Luck!
    Ditto both of these points!

Also, Google Adsense ads on a merchant's site is not only a leak, but a sign of weakness. They shouldn't want to lose their traffic either, and for furniture, their profit per visitor should be so high that they definitely don't want that AdSense leak either... it being there tells me you should contact them about their concerns and keep a close eye on their pricing, uptime and conversion rates as you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    Oh.... and since I'm asking, does anyone have a good furniture site and good rug site that they would recommend? I like SAS and would prefer to stick with merchants from here.
    Check out HomeLivingStyle for furniture. They've got some of the most beautiful luxury furniture I've seen. The AM is active on these forums too.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    for furniture and rugs, don't miss out on CSN Stores!

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90122

http and a telephoto
    Hi Kayecee! Glad to see you posting here I will have a new furniture merchant in the near future as well
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    $92.77 EPC, 8% with 120 return days and phone tracking

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98278

Oh.... wow..... thanks for all of the input gang! I appreciate it.... how nice!

Porkchop... auto deposit..... writing that one down on my good things list.... thanks....

Donots..... see.... it really threw me for a loop because I wondered at first if I had somehow stumbled on an affiliate's site and not the merchant's site.... when I figured out that I was indeed in the right place, it made me question their sales volume and whether or not the conversion rates would be decent.... I'm glad you explained it so well..... I think I'll take a pass on them and look elsewhere..... I will take a peek at CSN in the morning....

Mr C..... I had to double check that name.... so there is a Homeandliving.com and an Home Living Style on SAS? I'll check out Home Living Style then..... thanks

Loxly...... ooooooo..... really? Can you say the magic words: Golden Can and PopShops? *big grin*

Webworker.... thanks.... EF was the other furniture merchant that I was looking heavily at..... very nice.....

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread