Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Personal Notice
    On the 23rd December I was rushed into hospital with a chest infection. Upon arrival and following a series of tests, I was admitted as an In-Patient.

Fortunately I was allowed home late on XMas Eve. That was the good news.

The bad news is that my heart was badly damaged by the chest infection and I shall have to go back for a series of tests over the next few weeks.

So I am going to be making a few changes over the coming months as this has really knocked the stuffing out of me and made me sit up and recognise my own mortality.

I am cutting back on the amount of affiliate program management I am undertaking to just 30 hours a week and my own affiliate marketing to a mere 10 hours a week. That's much less than half my current average.

I have already cut back on smoking and I am definitely going to try and really give up this time. I can only climb half a staircase at a time or be totally out of breath when I get to the top, so gentle exercise to rebuild my damaged metabolism and improve my overall condition is going to come first.

I'll still meet my commitments and for those merchants I promised to help out, those offers still stand, but from now on I intend to take it slower and easier. Life is too short and my over-working nearly left a widow and two children without a father.

If YOU are working too hard may I just say this........forget chasing the money, forget the work. Family is more important. What's the point of making it if you are not there to spend it?

I have plenty to keep me going and for those who know me, you know I have my fingers in many different pies so ensuring that I still have an income is not a problem long term.

I am just thankful that I am alive and surrounded by the love of my family.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    John,

Wise words my friend, words I should listen to more often as well. We will have you in our prayers and we wish you negative test results and a speedy recovery.

We are all but a flickering candlelight, we need to enjoy each day as if it's our last ...

God Bless
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I quit smoking Christmas Eve last year. I just got a year clean from tobacco. It took everything I had & still I have to use the lozenges on occasion. Do whatever you have to do to get off them.

My heart gave me a scare 3 yrs ago. I now work part-time while I build my affiliate business. I'm taking it slow because I keep making mistakes. Oh well, I'm human.

Best of luck my friend....

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi John,

Thanks for personal post and wise words. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Angel

Wishes for better health and positive energy coming your way. We know that it's possible to come back and be healthy after an episode like that, but you DO have to work at it, slowly and carefully, and put your health first. Take care.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Many thanks for the kind replies.

The scariest moment after being moved from Accident & Emergency to the Medical Assessment Unit (for cardiac patients) was to be told by a senior Doctor "We have conducted a number of tests and one of these is for damage to the heart following exposure to infection. Now we normally only get concerned when a patient has a score above 100, anything below we're not really worried about. However we are very concerned in your case as your score was 1,600!".

To say that I was not scared would be to call me a liar. I was petrified, broke down and cried and then panicked at the thought that I would leave my wife and kids on their own. It really opened my eyes. Not long after they moved me to a high treatment ward and fed me antibiotics intravenously.

I'm quite lucky for 2008 as I get revenue share from some merchant programs plus a basic for either consultancy or website technical support. Particularly the one that'll take on Facebook (very nice revenue share for website technical) early in the New Year (hopefully launching maybe end of January or just after) and that combined with some contracts under negotiation will be sufficient to get by even with the fact our cost of living in the UK is double that of the US and then some. However I will have to contact my other existing and future clients to advise them I am either scaling support down, enrolling someone to act on my behalf or setting a termination date.

I can now really given the fact I have a number of clients only personally allocate maybe 8 hours a week max to any merchant and that is really the bare minimum to ensure an affiliate program is successful. So I will still take on clients but I'll have to share the pot a little more widely.

So I shall concentrate on four key areas from now on: consultancy (p/t), script supply, website service support and own marketing (p/t). I am lucky to have a small but loyal and hard working team and our services are in constant demand with script work orders until beyond next August and long term maintenance work indefinitely. I'll be clearing out the bad/late payers and just going for those that pay on time.

Affiliate Marketing is a wonderful industry not really understood by the mainstream but here in the UK even the likes of the News Corporation (Fox,Sky, The Sun etc) now use affiliate networks for their own affiliate marketing as an affiliate and not just as a merchant, running their own shopping channels using the product datafeeds of an entire network to their readers. It's also very pleasing to see that many of the innovations being used by the networks originated in part in our back room. Widgets...been there, mouseover popups...done that, best sellers content units....old stuff, MySQL datafeed management....pah! we do things cross server whitelabel anylabel to however many sites you have. Still it's nice to see the rest of the industry catching up. The sharing of the techniques and technologies involved without gain has within two years transformed affiliate marketing as each network strains to catch up with their rivals in offering the latest way to provide affiliates with marketing creative....and now we have video widgets. What a change and how professional our industry is finally becoming.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    John,

I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kudos to you for putting what matters most at the forefront. Take it easy, don't push yourself too hard and love your family.

I am guilty of taking life for granted too easily. Your thread really inspired me to in more down time.

Please keep us posted as you recover. We'll be rooting for you!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Wow, John, what a scare! We know you have the determination to kick ass business-wise, so no doubt that you have it to kick ass health-wise, too.

I quit smoking using a Nicotrol inhaler. I've also heard that Chantex (US name) is very effective. You can do it -- you HAVE to do it.

I hope the New Year finds you in better health.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes John! Sending you positive energy!

Take care of you and look forward to a new year filled with good health and no nasty surprises, only good ones!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread