View Poll Results: How many are actively fighting parasites?

14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I put the script on every page.

3 21.43%
  • Yes, I've put the script on a few of my pages.

5 35.71%
  • No, not yet, but I'm charged and I'm starting now!

4 28.57%
  • No, I haven't put it on any of my pages and I'm not going to.

2 14.29%
    Polk County, Florida
    I kept meaning to add the script described at this post Javascript to detect parasiteware to my site. But was always so busy with other things. I kept meaning to get around to it. Finally, a friend called me over to her house because every time she turned on her computer (DSL service) pop-up windows would appear before she opened a browser window.

It took us hours to clean the parasites off her system. Her son-in-law, an IT professional, had told her there was nothing you can do about it. Pop-ups were just a fact of life on the Internet. Then I realized ... most of my friends have very limited knowledge of the Internet and how it works. I'd venture to guess that this is true of a large percentage of web surfers.

It is obvious that the companies that propagate this scum on unsuspecting people have no ethics or else they wouldn't be putting it out there in the first place.

I'm taking the position that I have an ethical obligation to make people who visit my site aware that their computers have been infected. So, I put all the excuses aside and spent my entire weekend putting the script on every single page (600+) of my website.

If every one of us who operates one or more websites did the same thing, a lot more people would learn their systems are infected a lot faster. Knowledge is power, and the faster we spread this knowledge to as many people as possible, by notifying them each time a parasite is detected on their system, a lot more people will be killing it off their systems.

Reading all the posts over the past few months about parasites, has had me disheartened. I've often wondered how we could fight this and win. I look at the lists of merchants that allow them to be affiliates, and I am further disheartened. Every single one of my top earners is on those lists. I can't afford to boycot the merchants. I'd be out of business.

This weekend I coded every page of my site. Each page has a banner at the top. I placed the script just underneath the banner. If a parasite is detected, the WARNING! appears just below the banner. I look at it like this: If the person sees the warning, and goes off to clean scumware off his/her computer, then I may have lost a sale ... but so did the merchant, and the parasite didn't steal a commission from me. Chances are, when the person comes back to my site with the scum cleaned off, I'm more likely not to have a commission stolen from me.

This is one way we can all work together and actually do something about it! And it won't cost one red cent. Just the time involved in getting the script up on your site. How can any of us afford not to do this?

It will be time well spent! People will appreciate you for letting them know why their computers keep crashing. This can only create goodwill for you and your site(s) and at the same time help to get parasites off as many computers as possible.

People enter my site through different pages, rarely the home page. So I felt it was only prudent to put the script on every page. If you don't have time to go back and recode every page now, do a few a day, and always add the script to any new pages you create. Just think of the power all us of doing this together will create!

Tomorrow I'll be adding the script to every page of the sites I manage for other people, and I made this pledge to myself:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From this day for forward, every page I upload to the World Wide Web will contain the parasite detection script!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you put the parasite detection script on your site(s)?

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    courtesy bump, like the topic.

I drank what??! -Socrates

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Good Idea Tracy.
    I turned around and started putting them slowly on a section of my old site, which was the most trafficed and every page on my new site has it.
    Since I make a mix of a sales and content site, people tend to bookmark it, and it's amazing the emails that you get after they have removed the parasite from their systems.
    Most are grateful since they didn't even know they had it on their computer.

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground

hi Tracy and JustDoit,

I think there is a way you can put the script about the parasite one time (not a computer guru so i am not sure about this! lol...) so you don't have to add the script everytime you create a new page,

hope this helps!

We do get emails too and we add the voting booth and ask them to what they think of the issue and they have multiple choices and the high percentage of people voting are saying they don't have a clue that they have it in their computer and will be uninstalling them!

"God Bless the United States Arm Forces"

Thank god for them protecting us and live our life safely in a daily basis!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread