LinkShare's privacy policy. Your opinions?
    I am still fairly new to the whole affiliate marketing thing so Id appreciate your opinions here. I went to join the LinkShare program but stopped dead when I got to their privacy policy. It contained this:

As to Your personal information, LinkShare may use Your personal information in any manner or for any purpose that it determines to be appropriate or necessary in its sole discretion in connection with conducting any activities of or on any LinkShare Network and in relation to LinkShare's business.

Call me paranoid but it sounds dangerous to me. What are your experiences with Linkshare particularly where this sort of thing is concerned?

Don't read them....ever read adobe's when using their site to make a .pdf?

Key phrase there to me is:

"in connection with conducting any activities of or on any LinkShare Network and in relation to LinkShare's business."

It would be limited to what would be considered reasonable and customary in the course of their daily business. You're ok. (non-legal opinion only)

Thanks for your feedback Dude. What do think of LinkShare as a company to deal with?

Been with them a year now as well as CJ, Performics, ShareASale, Kolimbo, and most other majors and I tend to gravitate to Linkshare the most often for ease of obtaining creatives, CJ has best tracking software, SAS has excellent niche market advertisers and others have their own attributes. It's more on you as the publisher than on the affiliate management company to obtain results.

I am modifying my practices now at the 1 year mark with only under $200 revenue with over 750 approved advertisers combined and publishing 16 daily blogs, two of my own social networks and 14 or 15 others that I belong to plus several static websites.

I'll spare anyone a year of hard work and say it pays to not attempt to "shotgun" this business and try to do too much at once. I come from 8 years as an eBay Power Seller as well as 20 years as a corporate CEO in commercial real estate development and lending before that and this business leaves me confounded some days.

I'll be dropping probably 650-700 of those advertisers this week and streamlining and focusing in on those niche markets I am comfortable in.

I have owned and operated the web's #2 social network for bass players for seven years now receiving an average of 3 million visits per month with over 6,000 registered members, 99% male, between the ages of 25 and 55 and sticking banner ads in front of them for K-Mart when I should have had Guitar Center Ads up.

Know your niche, define your market then go out and find those advertisers who best match your market demographics and utilize the tools provided by whatever affiliate management company you wish. I tried to do them all too fast and got results smaller than my average bar tab.

There are far more qualified around here to assist you...I'm here to learn as well.

Overall though, Linkshare has Playboy and Fredericks which closely align with the demographics of one of my other market segments so what's not to love?

Thanks for taking the time to respond Dude. I appreciate your help and advice.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread