New From Google Analytics ga.js
    I searched and couldn't find a mention here of the new code for Google Analytics. They are migrating away from urchin.js to ga.js. They plan to stop supporting the legacy urchin code.

The basic code now is recommended at the bottom of your page where I always put it anyway. They still have some of the features in beta like Event tracking. I like to see when a visitor clicks a link to exit and thats not out of beta.

I put it on a new site and after looking at my stats I'm impressed with just the basic functionality.

Ah noooooo. lol I'm gonna have to go thru each and every single one of my pages to change something else now.
    Thank you bumpaw - guess it's better to know now so when I change the date on my pages guess I'll have to do this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Ah noooooo. lol I'm gonna have to go thru each and every single one of my pages to change something else now.
    Thank you bumpaw - guess it's better to know now so when I change the date on my pages guess I'll have to do this, too.
    You should be able to use a global find and replace if the code is the same on all your pages.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Shouldn't fess up to this. lol I didn't know what find and replace was til very recently. I have used it to replace some things on individual pages and saw there is an option for all pages but since I didn't really know anything about it except for what I had been told to do....... wasn't brave enough to attempt anything else for fear the whole site could end up with a big boo boo. lol

Dummy questioin. Where is the find and replace coming from? I'm just hitting Ctrl and F on my keyboard and it pops up. I mean if I hit the "all pages" it automatically clicks on a "Find in source code" box. If I'm editing in FrontPage, is this going to work on all of the pages?

If I now have for instance 2003 - 2007 I could just hit the all pages and under the find what put 2003 - 2007 and under replace put 2003 - 2008 and it will do that? It wouldn't go changing anything that may have just a 2007 by itself or anything, it would only change the 2003 - 2007?

And I could just put the entire javascript code for the urchin code in the find and the new code in replace and it would do it to all the pages in Frontpage.

It wouldn't do it to every site I had in FrontPage, just that particular site I was working on at the time, correct? But it would do every single page for that site in FP?

I'm not sure exactly how frontpage works, but you can usually specify a specific file or a folder full of files to look in the source code for your find. So you would specify the folder holding all your sites, put the old urchin code in the find section, and the new ga.js code in the replace section, and hit Replace All. The tool should run through every file in those folders looking for that source code and if it finds it, replacing it with the new stuff. You might be able to do it on a site by site basis too.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Ok, thank you very, very much bumpaw and Jason for telling me about this.

Jason said: "I'm not sure exactly how frontpage works"

Umm I'm not either. lol Had originally made my site at a free web hosting place, then learned enough html to do it myself and changed it, then husband gave me FrontPage and it was moved into it. Haven't had time to really learn FP. I just open up the code and type in html. BurgerBoy's a FP expert I think, so will check with him just to be absolutely sure before doing what you suggested. Really appreciate it, sooooo much easier than every single page. lol Til very recently that's what I've been doing. lol

I used to do that yearend nightmare. A few years ago I decided to do it with a gif. On the footer of every page is a little copyright .gif file so now at the end of the year I just upload a new "coyright.gif" and all the pages are changed.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread