Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    No more FrontPage... SharePoint or Expression?
    Ok. Having a small dillema. Started with NotePad for my HTML coding, then I found FrontPage. I have been using Frontpage since early 2000. Just need front page for HTML editing, newsletters, etc.

Microsoft discontinued FrontPage after 9 yrs in 2006. Any idea what to buy. I am not a designer by any means nor have I used Sharepoint.

Microsoft SharePoint
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...px?ofcresset=1

Microsoft Expression
    http://www.microsoft.com/Expression/.../overview.aspx

Ideas, thoughts?

Here are a couple of apps you can try: Nvu, someone here posted about this a couple of months ago, I downloaded it, tried it and loved it. My old standby is Arachnophilia, another great FREE program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If you use a Mac, Rapidweaver is a great program.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

Burgerboy will probably see this and post but I think according to him you'll still be able to keep using it afterwards. (realize no support, etc. but would still be able to keep using it) He wasn't impressed with the Expressions.

Somebody I know had highly recommended the Nvu, too. I also had used for a while HTML kit (free, too) and it was nice.

I haven't done anything about this either. Not sure if I'll have to or not.

Your web host has the frontpage extensions on their servers.

It doesn't matter whether MS sells FP - or supports it - or not.

As long as your host has them and your FP works now - it will keep working.

Ford discontinued making the Edsel car also - but they still worked and you could drive it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

(Amazing to me how many people completely ignored the original posters question)
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    (Amazing to me how many people completely ignored the original posters question)
    I'd agree if he had said "Any idea which to buy" but he said "Any ideas what to buy" which implies openness beyond his thread title.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I used to be a FP junkie, but now do nearly all my sites using a combination of FP for initial design and then using the code editor that is part of my FTP program (Cute FTP) for continued updates. I no longer use any FP features that require extensions however.

You can continue to use FP for design and quickly building links, tables etc, as long as you do not use the FP features that require extensions. Upload via an FTP program. Then you get the WYSIWYG features without the worry that your new server down the line will not support the extensions or corrupt the extensions as they so often do. Also, you will find that updating via FTP is quicker than "Publishing" when changing a single file.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Many of us don't use either Sharepoint or Expression, so don't be surprised that we aren't making a recommendation. I use Dreamweaver, but considering how I never used Frontpage, I can't make a comparison.

Buy nice looking templates then just edit with vim and a CMS

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but what is 'vim'??

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but what is 'vim'??
    It's a Linux-style text editor. Much more advanced than emacs or similar editors and it's on virtually every Unix/Linux server. Maybe best used by power users though. It's got a steep learning curve, but it's super powerful.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I few years ago I had access to any software in which we had an interest. My j*b at that time was Acting Manager of Web Services for a large School System. My staff and I were exposed to Micro$oft FrontPage, Macromedia DreamWeaver and Adobe GoLive. To maintain uniformity they (we) decided to use Dreamweaver.

I did very little designing or actual coding at work. But at home I chose to use GoLive - don't really know why - just personally liked it better. I still use it today and do a LOT of designing and coding. However, I take advantage of very few of the GoLive features; one example being that I use FTP rather than the site-sync capabilities. There are many choices out there among the free tools. But, if you know or have a teacher or a college student in your family, they can get the expensive packages at very low cost.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Expression is probably what comes closest to FP.
    After using FP for many years, I went with Expression for a short time, until I saw a video tutorial for dreamweaver and it made me switch again.

I'm now doing pretty much everything in dreamweaver and does not miss FP and the changes it made to my code.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So which is better? GoLive or Dreamweaver?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Rematt. I will test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib

- Scott
    I am trying to get two people under me to pick up HTML and I think frontpage is a pretty close to MS Word. If it for a regular HTML email, they can easily pick it up and edit the same things. For the main site, we are getting somebody to design it from scratch.

Will try what Rematt suggested.

Expression Web is the new FrontPage....

You will probably not notice too many differences between EW and FP... So upgrading to EW is the shortest learning curve.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread