Linking affiliate sites in a network
    Have you seen those sites that have a thin bar at the top that contains a drop down box? The box contains links to other sites in a network. If I had a few affiliate sites that sold different products but would be of interest to visitors of each site, what would the advantages and disadvantages of creating such a linking system for all the sites? Has anyone done this?
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Online Marketing Consultant
    Hey, another DC person =0)

I don't really think there is much of anything damaging to them....if they are all niche sites, and all the links are for products related to that niche, and the sites are complimentary to the site they are on, it could be a very good way to get extra exposure to your other sites as well as easy cross niche sales.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

The biggest danger is having a Google quality penalty spread between the sites. As long as you don't do anything even remotely close to something Google would consider a bad practice, you should be fine though. Make sure you're really doing it for the user, though, and not for other reasons.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'd like the extra traffic but worry about some kind of penalty. The site that got me thinking about this is the Outpost Network. You can see the bar on most of their sites (e.g., templateoutpost.com). My sites deal with collectibles so I thought if a visitor bought a doll, they might also like to shop and buy figurines. On the other hand, if they didn't like any of the dolls in my shop, they might like a figurine instead at my other shop. I dunno. I'm on the fence about what to do.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    There are free javascripts for drop-down menus that could be used for that purpose very easily.
    I'm not sure what effect that would have on search engine rankings.

I think if you use javascript for your dropdown menus, you won't have to worry about any search engine penalties for cross-linking your sites because the SEs so far don't count javascript stuff. If you don't use javascript, it's best if your sites are hosted on different servers.

interlinking between your own sites is probably a good thing. If you're part of some weird link-ring, then it could probably hurt.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread