Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Perfect Computer Would Be?
    If you were going to buy a new computer instead of giving the money to the IRS... what would it be? have in it?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    The best that I could afford with lots of memory and hard drive space.

I have an Aspire now and it keeps shutting down. I want something really good this time, but I am too ignorant to know what really good is
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I just got mine delivered yesterday from Dell, a fully loaded XPS 1330. Got tired of dragging my bigger, heavier laptop everywhere and this new one, with internal broadband, is everything I could want. Learning Vista is a challange, though.

Saved nearly $1,000 off orginal price and have $270 in Dell gift cards still coming as well. Dell has such great offers over the holidas. It was an offer I just could not pass up.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Wow..sounds like a good deal 7-days Vista, ugh.. I just got used to XP Pro..lol
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    When I bought my new computer, I asked a lot of questions, got some good input :

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=dell

Also had 85 people vote on what brand they have.

So the one I have should last me for the next few years at least. So depends on what you're going to use it for but on my next one I'm going to be sure to have:

A good size hard drive.

Decent amount of memory, I have 2GB now which is fine. If more is needed in the future will just get more.

For me, I got the best graphics card they had available since I use my computer not only for business but some gaming and then with watching video, I wanted a good card. Also watch some Netflix movies, the Watch Instanly ones.

Also wanted to get a great sound card since I find myself mostly listening to music on my computer. Later on got some new Logitech speakers with a sub, that sound great.

And a good monitor since it's what I'm looking at most of the day. So those are the main things for me.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    First I should say that I don't believe in perfection. (You guys have heard of the Manichean Heresy, haven't you?)

That said, the PERFECT computer would know what I MEANT to do, rather than what I DID do and it would respond accordingly. Girl can dream, can't she?

But I'm easy to please for the most part. The computers I have do the job adequately for my purposes. I'd like more memory but that's easily correctable. My desktop was made in the backroom of a local computer shop. I have no idea what its hybrid is but it has nice manners and doesn't give me any heartache. My laptop is a cheapo Aspire and other than the fact that it keeps thinking my wandering fingers require immediate action I'm happy enough with it. Besides, it keeps me toasty warm when I'm working on it in our often chilly family room. Hasn't set me on fire yet, either.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    You can get XP Pro on a Dell.
    I purchased 2 just before Christmas......
    One for step-son with Vista.......his choice
    One for my daughter with XP Pro......her choice.

There is no perfect computer. Get the specs that you want and go for the low price. My experience is that no matter what brand or price, I can't get more that 2 or 3 years service from a computer

My best computer was a 286 with dos ............was like a tank
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    My best computer was a 286 with dos ............was like a tank
    Ahhhh the good old days
    leeann

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've only made my own PCs or had them assembled for the last 7 years. Any computer will be obsolete in 2-3 years.

I'd recommend a multi-core processor (midrange). The CPU is one of the most expensive components so you should check your overall budget.
    At least 2 GB of memory. If I had unlimited funds I'd max out my computer's RAM although the benefit over 2 GB is limited.

Get a 1 TB harddrive (they are available now in the U.S. not yet in Mexico) That will allow you to keep plenty of backups.
    If you need a monitor, a 19" LCD screen should be considered the minimum, since we spend many hours on the computer.

A video card will be needed if your motherboard doesn't have it integrated. Unless you play video games almost any card will do.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    A lot of people actually prefer XP over Vista. Many of the large manufacturers offer XP recovery discs for their Vista PC's (but you usually have to pay $15-$20 for them).

What you should get depends on your needs. My main desktop is a 2 year old Dell with a Pentium 4 and 80 GB hard drive...it still suits me fine for everything I need to use it for. But then I also have a laptop (Thinkpad T43, also an older model and also more than enough power), and I just got the tiny Asus Eee recently too. Each one has its own purpose. Oh, and I also have a Mac Mini but I hardly ever use that. (But wait, there's more! My wife has her own, and the kids have their own to share with each other, too... way too many computers around here, huh? )

If I could have just one computer, it would be a notebook with:
    - 15.4" LCD screen
    - Core 2 Duo processor
    - 2 GB memory
    - at least 80 GB hard drive
    - DVD burner
    - Windows XP Professional
    - 3 year warranty

...plus:
    - a docking station
    - a good 20" 1680x1050 LCD screen to set up as a secondary monitor

Total cost would probably be close to $2000 if you go with a decent brand notebook like Thinkpad or Dell's business line.

But if you don't need the portability of a laptop, you could get the similar specs on a desktop PC for about half the price.

Whelp, looks like nobody's made the obligatory Mac post, so I'll step in

My dream machine is a 17" Macbook Pro. Sleek, sexy and fast. Wouldn't have it any other way!

And don't forget you can run XP on top of OS X, so virtually any program for any OS works on Mac.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I just got a new pimped out Toshiba laptop two weeks ago with 2 gigs of RAM, dual core centrino, 200 gig hard drive, big screen, integrated webcam, and too many cool features to mention. It replaces my ten year old Gateway!! (I get my money's worth!!) I love the speed of this new baby + the "n" key does not "stick." LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I would get a computer based on the AMD Spider platform
    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/article...howarticle=568

I didn't just give it a good review because AMD loaned me the machine, it actually performed hella good, and being that the chips are half the price when compared to equivalent intel chips, ya can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I just got a new pimped out Toshiba laptop two weeks ago with 2 gigs of RAM, dual core centrino, 200 gig hard drive, big screen, integrated webcam, and too many cool features to mention. It replaces my ten year old Gateway!! (I get my money's worth!!) I love the speed of this new baby + the "n" key does not "stick." LOL
    which one did you get? I reviewed so many toshiba laptops I have probably tried them all.

Just bought a laptop hp dv6000 pentium dual core 160 hard drive 2 gigs of memory internal wireless built in webcam. I was so happy I went out and bought a second one.

Ron if you right click on the bottom taskbar and hit properties - start menu - you can make your vista look like xp its called classic
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Being the ubergeek that I am I'll have to side with Snib. I am not as much as a mac fanboy as he is, but I always look for the machines that give me the most number of options.

Over the past 4 years I have become a big fan of virtualization. If you get virtualization program like vmware, etc. You can run multiple OSes on your machine in their own little separate window. So on my XP machine I can start up a virtual machine running Linux server or Windows 2003 server and simulate the work that is being done on my hosted internet server. Run my apps, etc with exact same OS that I'll be using in the real world, while keeping a nice XP/Vista Desktop.

However - There is no good Mac emulator for Windows - just a couple of dead open source projects . All of big windows emulators can do just about any OS (including DOS) but not the Mac operating system. I'd imagine this has to do with a big MacHammer coming down on anybody that tries. And there are some neat Mac applications that I'd like to run.

However with a Mac (which I don't own... yet) I can run *any* application out there. The Mac has the same emulators that Windows has so I can run every OS the Windows emulators can run. So I will be able to boot up my Mac and use it to surf/chat with you guys. And then I can dual boot (or start an emulator) and run my Windows XP quicken. Or my Windows 2003 programs. Or my Linux client/server programs, etc. etc. So on my mac if somebody is having a problem using the XP machine to FTP to a linux server I can set up a virtual machine for each and recreate the scenario.

Now those emulators take a little bit of power so I am not going to get the lowest mac they make. But once I have one I'll never have to think 'Boy that is a cool/useful application. I wish I could run that'. What I should be able to do is pick up *any* application for any operating system in any computer store and not even look at the requirements. I know I'll have it covered. (I'll still look though. Who knows what curve balls they will throw at me).

P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I just got mine delivered yesterday from Dell, a fully loaded XPS 1330.
    Ron, let us know (well, me at least!) how you like the 1330. I've been running an XPS M1210 for a little over a year and I love it. Before that, I had an Inspiron 700m, another 12" model, and I can't imagine switching to anything larger. It's funny, when a see a 15" laptop I am just blown away by how huge and clunky they are.

I upgrade every 12 to 18 months, which is about now, and the 1330 appeals to me, but I'm not so sure about that 'extra inch' of computer to carry around.

I just made an intermediate upgrade and ordered 4GB of memory for this machine, so maybe I can live with it a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Just bought a laptop hp dv6000 pentium dual core 160 hard drive 2 gigs of memory internal wireless built in webcam. I was so happy I went out and bought a second one.

Ron if you right click on the bottom taskbar and hit properties - start menu - you can make your vista look like xp its called classic
    AMD or Intel processor? I heard a lot of peeps complain about the AMD based one.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I would get a computer based on the AMD Spider platform
    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/article...howarticle=568

I didn't just give it a good review because AMD loaned me the machine, it actually performed hella good, and being that the chips are half the price when compared to equivalent intel chips, ya can't go wrong.
    That's a good review and I've built a few with AMD in the past and always just as good fast on intel. My son just bought an HP Pavilion with AMD, runs pretty good.

why not try Alienware ....

why not get the Blackbird 002 from HP?

Thanks for the ideas. Today is it. I've got to make the decision for any tax savings
    leeann

I couldn't decide and I was running out of time. I wanted a dual processor. Does this have one? (I hope I didn't mess up) I ended up getting (at 11:34 pm 12/31)

HP Pavilion Elite Desktop PC
    Model #: HP M9040N

Intel® Core® 2 Quad Q6600
    • 3GB of DDR2 memory
    • Burns DVDs and CDs• 640GB hard drive
    • Built-in wireless 802.11b/g
    • TV tuner/recorder

For around $1,000. If it isn't great, I can return it locally.

More:
    The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 is the cutting edge in processing technology for the desktop PC. Based on the new Core micro-architecture, the Intel Core 2 Quad delivers four execution cores within a single processor, delivering unprecedented performance and responsiveness in multi-threaded and multi-tasking environments.
    • This desktop features 3GB of DDR2 system memory—enough for the most demanding users, gamers and multimedia professionals. DDR2 is slightly faster than DDR, the previous standard in system memory.

• Data travels to the processor along the frontside bus. The faster data travels, the faster everything works. This 1066MHz frontside bus is exceptionally fast, worthy of a high-performance desktop.

• Processors search for the same data over and over. L2 caches keep this data neat, organized, and nearby so it can be retrieved more quickly. This 2 x 4MB L2 cache is very large, providing a potentially strong boost in performance.
    Massive hard drive: This exceptional dual hard drive features a 640GB capacity (2 x 320GB)—perfect for robust collections of music, movies and multimedia. This drive’s data disks spin at 7200rpm, providing faster-than-average access to your files.

Go wireless: Built-in 802.11g wireless LAN gives you a fast connection to a wide range of networks and peripherals. 802.11g is backwards-compatible with 802.11b, so you can connect using the two most popular wireless standards.

DVD SuperMulti drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discs—specially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

LightScribe disc-labeling: Burn custom, silkscreen-quality labels and images onto your discs with the same drive that burns the data.

Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium: Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. You’ll be able to use your desktop more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability.

High-end graphics: This desktop features advanced NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS graphics with 256MB of dedicated video memory, an addition to the main system memory, and 1535MB total available memory. This high-end memory is great for more demanding games or video editing.

15-in-1 media card reader: Seamlessly transfer images from your digital camera, MP3 player or camcorder. This extremely versatile front-panel 15-in-1 reader is compatible with Smart Media, CompactFlash I/II, Secure Digital, mini Secure Digital, xD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, MicroDrive, MultiMedia Card (MMC), Reduced Size-MMC, MMCplus and MMCmobile.

Connect it all: The HDMI™ connector provides convenient single-cable HD connectivity to your HDTV or A/V receiver. Plus, two FireWire, six USB, VGA and DVI ports let you connect to TVs, cameras, peripherals and more.

Integrated TV tuner: The built-in TV tuner and personal video recorder (PVR) let you watch, pause, rewind, and record live television—with no monthly fee. The free online Electronic Program Guide (EPG) lets you review the TV schedule and choose a single episode or an entire series.

Software bundle:
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Works 8 and Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial)
    Norton® Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of live update)
    Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 8.0
    Roxio MyDVD Basic
    Roxio Creator
    HP Photosmart Essential 2
    Muvee autoProducer Basic
    leeann

Say goodbye to the hourglass! I think you'll be very happy with the performance of the system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast