Got mentioned in 100,000 member ezine
    hi all! just found out one of my postings to the sitebuildit forums was put in their email newsletter which goes out to around 100,000 people i believe. can anyone tell me what kind of traffic i might expect from this? it just happened yesterday. day 1 was a record day for traffic from over 30 countries. how long could this traffic spike last? the posting includes a link to my site as well. anyone who has run an ad campaign similar in size please let me know what were the results for traffic. thanks!

Another one post wonder.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'll paraphrase the question: "I'm quoted, with a link, in an email newsletter which goes out to around 100,000 people. Can anyone tell me what kind of traffic i might expect from this? It just happened yesterday. Day 1 was a record day for traffic from over 30 countries. How long could this traffic spike last? Anyone who has run an ad campaign similar in size please let me know what were the results for traffic." <

It depends -- but your peak is probably behind you.

You wrote that "Day 1 was a record day for traffic from over 30 countries," but you didn't provide any context or firm numbers. Your "Day 1" response will almost certainly be the peak, and Day 2 may see 10-20% of that traffic, and Day 3 even less. (If this newsletter is mostly read by people in offices, and it came out on Saturday, then perhaps Monday will bring more traffic than Sunday.)

Back in 1996, one of my web sites was mentioned in Parade magazine which is distributed to millions of homes as a Sunday newspaper supplement. My traffic spiked "off the charts," with an initial surge on Saturday, an explosion on Sunday, and decent traffic on Monday. The "direct and pass-along effect" of the article continued to bring nice traffic for the rest of that week. One result was that a number of other web sites linked to mine, after seeing the mention in the magazine, and my site traffic ended up with a "permanent boost" as a result.

On the other hand, in 1998 and 1999, I worked with two different clients who paid to have their messages sent to tens of thousands of people who'd signed up for genuine "opt-in" mailing lists, and the response rate was negligible -- far less than 1% of recipients clicked to visit the client site, and none registered or made purchases; it was a waste of thousands of dollars.

I've also had my posts published in a variety of discussion forums and occasionally reproduced in email newsletters. Sometimes this generates traffic or consulting inquiries, but the results never create a meaningful "surge" in traffic.

When you write that "Day 1 was a record day for traffic from over 30 countries," it's impossible for anyone to evaluate that. If your prior traffic record was 50 visitors in one day, and this campaign brought you 500 visitors, then it's nice but not spectacular. If you actually saw thousands of legitimate clicks from human visitors (not auto-bots, crawlers, etc.), then it sounds like this has been a great promotion for you.

The effect of this "publicity" depends on the type of email newsletter, the audience, the context, the level of interest, and (probably most important) the legitimacy of the "opt-in."

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Have ebook will travel?

sarasota1, congrats on the posting. Several months ago one of my hosts featured one of my sites as their "Site of the Week" and put a thumbnail with a link to my site on their home page and also included it in a newsletter. I received a huge spike in traffic for about 2 weeks. The problem was, very little (if any) of that traffic converted. The traffic was mainly from other webmasters and competitors that were curious as to why my site was selected. My guess is that Sitebuildit's newsletter is going to a similar audience.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Another one post wonder.
    Good possibility.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

What the Flying Fudge is it with you?

I've banned you twice, you came back and played nice but now decide to profile spam?

You have officially p!ssed me off, and "buddy" ... that is definitely one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread