Can this computer be saved?
    I was curious if you guys thought that I should try to salvage my HP laptop or just start shopping for a new one. My HP is 2 years old and the USB ports both broke after about a year. I have had a slew of USB adapter cards so that I could attach a mouse since then.

Also, yesterday I noticed that the power supply was acting strange. It was flashing between battery and electricity. It was plugged in to the wall outlet, so I took out the plug from the computer and it is very dark and burned looking. What could have caused this?

I had purchased the 3 year extended warranty (I know it was stupid but the sales guy told me it would cover absolutely everything) so I called the store that I bought it from and they said that it would not be covered and that the salesman had been mistaken.

Is there anything that I can do for this computer?

Bettylou

Wink
    I would go to the store and ask to talk to the store manager in person.

Tell him you paid for the extended 3 year warrenty and you either want it fixed - or - the money back that you paid for the additional warrenty.

If he refuses tell him you want the phone number of the store's home office so you can file a compliant.

Also tell him that you are going to report them to the BBB - and see what happens.

Start out nice - but - turn into a b*tch if you have to.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Was the warranty for HP or for the store? Perhaps the warranty states that you have to go to the manufacturer for the repair. Check your warranty info to see if there is an e-mail address and telephone number to call.

Wink
    One time I bought house paint at Sears that had a 30 year guarantee. In about two years It started peeling off all over the outside of the house.

I talked to their store manager about it and he refused to do anything about it.

I went home and stewed about it for about a week.

I went back to the store and told the store manager that I had noticed that they were always running 1/4 page ads in the local paper about all of the advantages of shopping at the Sears store here.

I told him that if he didn't have my house re-painted at their expense that I was going to take out a full page ad in the local newspaper listing all of the reason about why people here should not shop at Sears and that I would run the ad evey day until they re-painted the house for me free.

Two days later a paint crew showed up at my house and re-painted it free.

There was a one year HP warranty and the 3 year was from the store. They told me that it was caused by my own carelessness that the USB ports were broken. I did have a mouse plugged into them a lot of the time but it was sitting on a desk. I may have bumped them occasionally but I don't think they should break that easily.

When I purchased the extended warranty, I was told that even if my kids put oatmeal in the keyboard it would be covered. I told the service manager what I had been told and he just laughed. He said it did not cover anything that I did to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Two days later a paint crew showed up at my house and re-painted it free.
    Do you mind going to the store with me?

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Do you mind going to the store with me?
    I would if I could.

Sometimes you just get tired of taking crap off of people and you just do what you have to do to get their attention.

You know what they say - If you want to get a jack ass's attention - the first thing you do is hit it in the head just as hard as you can with a two by four - and then you tell him what's he's going to do.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I got a refund from CompUSA despite the fact that they no longer give refunds. I think it worked because I told the store manager that I was a professional webmaster who belonged to several (hah! just ABW really) webmaster forums and I would let the world know not to buy anything from CompUSA during their going out of business sale.

You have to be firm but professional and not afraid to make it known that you have connections you're willing to use. Don't threaten, just make a firm statement of your intent. You paid for service and if you don't get it the store will not just lose one customer -- it might lose quite a few of them -- and its reputation will be tarnished.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hi Rhea,

That's the same store I'm dealing with.

When I purchased the extended warranty, I was told that even if my kids put oatmeal in the keyboard it would be covered. I told the service manager what I had been told and he just laughed. He said it did not cover anything that I did to it.
    Unfortunately what the salesman said doesn't really count unless you have it in writing. And make no mistake, it's unlikely that the salesperson made an error, he out and out lied to you to get a sale. Typically the store has a higher margin on the warranty than on he product so they pay a higher commission when the warranty is sold.

Hopefully a further appeal to the store manager or possibly a regional manager will have some benefit, but don't count on it.

A 2 year old laptop would be a shame to get rid of. Have you gotten an estimate of what it would cost to repair the USB ports and replace the power supply? It may be less than you think and certainly would be less expensive than a new laptop. You also may want to find a different service center. It would be a shame to give more business to the place that lied to you in the first place.

Additional WarningIf you decide to pay for repairs DO NOT TAKE IT TO CompUSA. A friend took her laptop to a CompUSA for repairs almost 9 months ago and when they closed the store they lost her system. They have since offered her $200 compensation for a $1,500 laptop.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; December 30th, 2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Additional Warning
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    I would do everything BurgerBoy posted in post 2. You know another tactic that works great. Most local TV stations have consumer watch segments kind of deal. Ask them if you have to talk to them about your problem and them not honoring your warranty if in fact your warranty is supposed to cover the problems you're having. They don't really want a TV station doing a negative report on them.

I had checked on the cost of repairing the USB ports this summer at a nearby repair shop. It would be around $200. That is why I purchased the USB adapter card. I would guess that the power supply would be in that same price range too. It's not a great HP by any means. Just the basic features. I paid around $800 for it 2 years ago when they were higher priced. Similar ones now are under $500.

After re-reading the store warranty papers, I realize I was a total stooge. It doesn't cover anything that I do to it. There are a ton of other stipulations as well.

I guess the salesman saw a hick from Indiana out and about in the big city.

Next time, I won't drive my John Deere tractor to the store!!

I guess the salesman saw a hick from Indiana out and about in the big city.
    You're not responsible for someone else's dishonesty.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    You're not responsible for someone else's dishonesty.

-rematt

Thanks rematt. The sad thing is that I had already turned down the extended warranty and was out in the car when I decided to go in again and buy it.

By the way, I went through the Best Buy trade-in center section on their web site to see what I would be offered as trade-in value: $32.76. Woo Hoo!!!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Note to self.

Take BurgetBoy and Rhia when you have problems at Sears or CompUSA.

You should be firm with the warranty too. Technically, the company that is offering the warranty is liable too if CompUSA misrepresented/mis-sold the warranty to you as CompUSA is their agent.

I'm pretty sure that there's currently a class action suit against HP for defects in the power plug and other motherboard problems. There are also recalls for other issues. You might want to check directly with HP. If you have to call their overseas technical support, you might need to be diligent and call numerous times. Many people there don't have a clue what they're talking about.

I've had two HP laptops and had extensive problems with both of them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread