Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    HELP with Rapidweaver and PHP
    I had never heard of Rapidweaver until it was mentioned in another thread a day or 2 ago. I looked at the site and saw a lot I liked, so I downloaded the demo and have been playing with it since yesterday, and basically love it. But one of the features is being able to plug in PHP. I've never used PHP but would really like to be able to plug in GoldenCan PHP code, instead of using the Javascript code.

The Rapideweaver manual clearly states that on HTML pages, you can enter "anything including Javascript, CSS, PHP, and more".

Well, I can enter Javascript, and it shows up fine, but whatever I do and try, I cannot get the PHP code from GC to work at all - just a block of empty space.

I want to purchase Rapidweaver, and get going with it, but if I can't get PHP to work with it, I may have second thoughts.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also any thoughts, opinions on Rapidweaver?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Are the pages ending in .php? If not (if they end in .html) you need to instruct your server to parse php on .html pages. That can be done via CPanel on some servers or through your .htaccess file.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I haven't published anything - just using the demo preview, but I have had extensions set to .php (and tried various others).
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I haven't published anything - just using the demo preview, but I have had extensions set to .php (and tried various others).
    AffiliateHound, PHP is server side code, so in order to view the PHP, the page needs to be accessed from a webserver that can run PHP code. I think you're seeing just a blank space during the demo preview because you're viewing a local copy on your machine.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Hmmmm...Where is the demo preview being hosted? If it is on your computer the .php may not work. Even when I use Adobe GoLive (my editor of choice) and I preview a page in a browser, the php will not work until I put the sample page on a server somewhere.

I'll have to check out that RapidWeaver site when I get a chance. For Macs, eh???
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks Beachy and meadowmufn.

I thought that could be the problem, but wasn't sure. Yes, Beachy, the preview is on your own computer.

The site I've been trying out on Rapidweaver is an old, existing site, and I can't really upload a totally new page or two that I do on Rapidweaver to test the PHP, so I'll have to do a page or 2 for a new site and see how that works once its on a server.

They should add this to their manual, or does everyone who uses PHP take this as a given?

Rapidweaver does look pretty good, is easy to use, cheap to buy (at the start, but they charge for a lot of the add-ons and updates), and they boast of good support, but you can't access that with the demo - you have to buy in first. I'll ask this question right after I make the purchase.

You can get PHP installed on your Mac
    http://www.phpmac.com/

Or you can install PHP on a Windows machine. PHP pages would then work on your local machine
    http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Apach...under-Windows/
    http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    You can get PHP installed on your Mac
    http://www.phpmac.com/
    thanks, markschok

...this looks complicated

I just got my first new RapidWeaver site live, and the Golden Can PHP works fine.

Thanks for all the help and insight.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread