All,

I've been working with a site for a few months and sold a lot of their product through affiliate links. Recently, they asked me to help them get more affiliates and manage existing ones (e.g., write a newsletter and answer questions). Taking on the role of affiliate manager would allow me to make more $$$ but the site owner is worried about a conflict of interest (she doesn't want my affiliate links in the e-mail to all the affiliates). Is it possible to do both - operate my own site w/affiliate links and manage the home site's affiliates? If so, I would appreciate any info on how much to ask to do this? I'm really in the dark here. Thanks.

Yes, it's possible to do both.

The simplest way is to identify which areas have a potential problem and then draw up a simple contract.

I'd suggest something that acknowledges that seperates both areas. Establish how confidential or business information will be used, how visitors will click through, that sort of thing. Acknowledge that you are also an affiliate and have a private financial interest, but establish the limits of what can and cannot be done.

Once you have reached an agreement, sign it off in a memorandum of understanding, or a contract if you prefer.

These sort of things happen all the time. The important thing is to realise that different roles require different hats.

Here's an example.. I used to be a Councilman/Councillor. There were things that I knew that conflicted with my Real Life work. So simply, stuff that I knew or could do with one hat on, I couldn't with the other hat on. Effectively I had to keep secrets from myself. It's not as difficult or as wacky as it sounds!

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

SpikeDo:
    Interesting situation, but I think Dynamoo is on target. A simple one-page contract should spell out what can and cannot be done. How would you make money? Could be a percentage of what the affiliates you recruit generate. In addition, how about a spiff for sales and/or traffic generated through the newsletter? This should be a simple proposition with everyone coming out a winner!
    Congrats on an excellent opportunity!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    SpikeDo,

I would advise to ask for a fair retainer + commission on aggregate sales activity.

You wan't a retainer because some of the work you will do will have nothing to do with sales. i.e. kicking out fradulent publishers, audits, preparing reports, etc.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

Wayne:
    Good angle. SpikeDo - I would suggest you talk to Andy from Tiger Direct. From his posts, it sounds like he his pay is arranged much as Wayne suggests - a certain base, plus spiffs based on affiliate performance. Seems like a natural fit.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread