Does anyone use a CMS to host their site?
    Hi.

I'm really new and have been making my way through the affiliate world. This forum is by far the best source of information I have seen.

I've had some small successes with a few merchants on CJ and have started thinking about something a little bigger. I've taken a look at the big guys like Amazing-Bargains and BenBargains. Both are great sites but they look like they are hand coded.

Does anyone in the affiliate world build their site with a CMS system like Joomla or Drupal?

Thanks,
    Sean

ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone in the affiliate world build their site with a CMS system like Joomla or Drupal?
    Yep they do. You can even use Wordpress, but that's more if your website has a blog on it.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't use CMS to host my sites (how could they?), but I do love using Wordpress for my sites even with its blog limitations :-)

If you do a search for CMS, I'm sure you'll find plenty of older threads with info about each one. Of course, you can also go to their respective forums as well.

I used to, but I didn't feel in complete control. It forced me to make my own.

Welcome aboard Sean, I currently have 2 Joomla sites and will likely build any future sites using Joomla. Take Lostdeviant's advice and do a search on CMS and Joomla and you'll find more information.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager Julia_Shoeboxed's Avatar
    Ive used Joomla for a few past sites, it's very powerful.

At the time I was a CJ affiliate (I am now a program manager merchant at my company, which is on ShareASale) and we deployed our CJ "smartzones" easily with Joomla -- I think even using their native banner module. There are a ton of plugins and in the end, offer a lot more IMHO than Wordpress. If you have a site that encourages user profiles / a community, I would highly recommend checking out the community builder plugin.

Anyways, I highly recommend Joomla and if you need something more customizable, etc -- You can modify it, it is written in PHP!

Julia

I just put together a site with WordPress, modifying a template I liked and adding some functionality with plugins and with PopShops stuff.

It's fun, and I've got a lot of products up using WP posts and WP pages -- but so far I haven't been doing the site long enough to have any results or ranking benefits to report.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I just put together a site with WordPress, modifying a template I liked and adding some functionality with plugins and with PopShops stuff.

It's fun, and I've got a lot of products up using WP posts and WP pages -- but so far I haven't been doing the site long enough to have any results or ranking benefits to report.
    Wordpress is great (our blog uses it). I guess it just depends on what functionality and plugins you need

For those considering Joomla (still my recommendation), here is a list of their extentions available: http://extensions.joomla.org/

-Julia

I guess I've never been bright enough to figure out any of the CMS I've tried to make them really function for me when I put together an affiliate site.

I'm serious -- I have yet to see a CMS that I could truly feel I had mastered the learning curve on. Most awful nomination, in my thinking, would be drupal. Joomla always looked good and looked like I ought to be able to figure out what to do with it -- but I never could in the end.

I did find one CMS I've mentioned in a thread some months ago: Website Baker. I had it up on a couple of sites and actually figured out pretty much how to use it.

Following a server crash a month or two ago, I've not yet reinstalled Website Baker anywhere, though.
    Generate more fake news.

I guess I've never been bright enough to figure out any of the CMS I've tried to make them really function for me when I put together an affiliate site.

I'm serious -- I have yet to see a CMS that I could truly feel I had mastered the learning curve on. Most awful nomination, in my thinking, would be drupal. Joomla always looked good and looked like I ought to be able to figure out what to do with it -- but I never could in the end.

I did find one CMS I've mentioned in a thread some months ago: Website Baker. I had it up on a couple of sites and actually figured out pretty much how to use it.

Following a server crash a month or two ago, I've not yet reinstalled Website Baker anywhere, though.

@Gary

I just checked out your site in your signature! Major props, I like the custom templating -- it looks really professional!

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_Shoeboxed
    @Gary

I just checked out your site in your signature! Major props, I like the custom templating -- it looks really professional!

Julia
    Well, thanks, Julia. BUT -- The site I referred to in this thread isn't one of the blogs in my sig file. LOL! (I just sent you a PM -- but I don't know whether you've posted enough yet to have forum PM privileges? Let me know whether you get it.)
    Generate more fake news.

Well, thanks, Julia. BUT -- The site I referred to in this thread isn't one of the blogs in my sig file. LOL! (I just sent you a PM -- but I don't know whether you've posted enough yet to have forum PM privileges? Let me know whether you get it.)
    Haha, well i still liked it!

I see your PM but cant read it because it says I dont have permission yet, but you can email me it I think my email should be public in my profile.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what happened to the PM if you didn't yet have PM privileges. Also, I don't know whether the email link in your ABW profile allows email to you yet, either.

So I went to the homepage listed in your profile, found a "Contact" link there, and sent email to you that way.
    Generate more fake news.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread