CJ Tracking Links
    I am trying to figure out you set up tracking links in CJ

When you use "Get HTML" link for a given product affiliate link, you have the option of entering information in the "SID" text box.

Am I right in assuming that if you enter an identifying text string in the SID box, and click the link tracking option, then your text will appear in the best performing links report, so that you can see which product links are performing best ?

Or, If i'm totally out to lunch on this one, could someone give me a quick tutorial on setting up tracking links in CJ.

Best Regards

I've never been clear on this either. As far as I know, there is no way in CJ to track which products have been purchased - which to me is probably the most useful data an affiliate can have. I've seen some threads here about how you can use some reported eBay codes to figure out which product was sold, but I think that's the exception.

I could be wrong but I don't think SID is used for the purpose you're proposing. See this example from the CJ help:

#

SID: If you are using Commission Junction's SID (Shopper Identification) tracking technology, the SID displays. The SID is an optional field that you may use for your own tracking purposes. It is related to Commission Junction’s SmartRewards program, which provides the capability for you to track where your sales and leads originate so that you can target and/or reward your unique shoppers. This is accomplished through adding the SID to the tracking code of your advertiser links.

When a sale or lead takes place, you can able to view it in a transaction report and identify the unique user. Participation in the SmartRewards Program does require the involvement of a Webmaster with programming experience, since the SID must be dynamically generated and appended to the tracking code. For more information, please contact a Commission Junction via the Ask a Question interface by completing the following steps:
    It could be that this is very poorly written...

Thanks Mr. C.

I did put some identifying text in the SID field of some of my latest affiliate ads. I do notice that the text does get added to the HTML generated by CJ.

I just have to wait for a sale to see if the darn thing actually shows up in a report somewhere.

You are absolutely right about this being a key component of sales tracking. My only guess as to why CJ, or other affiliate providers, dont make it easy is that they fear that customers might try to deal direct with vendors if they know specifically which products they sell.

The Sitesell system I use does have affiliate link tracking but it requires you to break up the CJ html into chunks so the tracking code can be inserted. It would require a lot of work to redo all my links and its a bit more complicated than I am capable of handling right now. CJ tracking would be much easier if it works.

Many thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by adrian123
    Thanks Mr. C.

You are absolutely right about this being a key component of sales tracking. My only guess as to why CJ, or other affiliate providers, dont make it easy is that they fear that customers might try to deal direct with vendors if they know specifically which products they sell.
    You'll be interested to know that Shareasale makes it incredibly easy with their afftrack= feature. It's one of the many features which makes SAS so much better than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C
    You'll be interested to know that Shareasale makes it incredibly easy with their afftrack= feature. It's one of the many features which makes SAS so much better than anything else.
    YMMV, but what would make SAS better for me is if they'd get some more recognizable merchants in their system. Until then, I make way more on CJ than SAS and don't see how they come even close to being comparable.

Yes SID shows up in reports. I use it all the time now and it tells me what link has been clicked.

Some merchants at CJ provide product information (most that I work with do not though). It shows up when you click on the Detail link. The capability is there in CJ but I think the implementation must be difficult and that is why many merchants don't use it.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread