Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 years since version 2.4. Where's version 2.5?
    There has been much discussion about a new update to version 2.4 but, in the last three (3) years, I haven't seen one. Three years seems a bit long for an update to me. Anyway, without all the "just a short time to go" BS lines, when WILL the next version be available?

WebMerge is a great product but three years???

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyoung
    There has been much discussion about a new update to version 2.4 but, in the last three (3) years, I haven't seen one. Three years seems a bit long for an update to me. Anyway, without all the "just a short time to go" BS lines, when WILL the next version be available?

WebMerge is a great product but three years???
    SteveYoung,

You have two choices!

You either will have to change your name to SteveOld, or just wait until 2012 before the next version be available.

Or you can do what I did!

Start learning PHP and MySQL in the mean time.

I am already old. 58 years old to be exact. Don't know if I'll be around by 2012 but I hope so. That way, I can finally get an update. The program is been very helpful to me but I have started to try to learn php and mysql; however, at my age, not sure how much time I have to learn new things.

I am already old. 58 years old to be exact. Don't know if I'll be around by 2012 but I hope so. That way, I can finally get an update. .
    Steve,

Don't piss me off, 58 years old is just like 8, on the second halve of this life.

Just look at the old fart BurgerBoy, he just turned 66 (Btw, one 6 less than the mark. ) three days ago, and he still kicking, learning, and making money!

The program is been very helpful to me but I have started to try to learn php and mysql; however, at my age, not sure how much time I have to learn new things.
    At your age !

Remember that never is too late to learn something new, in fact....... Even when we die, we still learn a new shit, so don't give up on me now.

Btw, I only have ½ hour to say goodby to my lousy o7 year, so this might be my last post for a while, yet.

But......

Happy New 2008 Year To All!

11:30 pm 12/31/ 07

Affiliate Manager
    Actually, the most recent version of WebMerge was posted on January 29, 2007. True, it was a minor update to address some issues with tables, but those who rely on those features were glad for the new build.

I'm very glad to see the enthusiasm here for v2.5, and I agree that criticisms about the length of time it's taken to get to that version are valid. Let me take a moment to recap what we've been up to here, and share a bit about our roadmap for the future:

Since the release of v2.4 a great many things have been happening here at Fourth World, both with WebMerge and other products.

In addition to WebMerge we also develop products for other publishers. The two most significant projects we've taken on were originally projected to be somewhat minor in scope, but they've been more successful than originally anticipated which has accelerated their development beyond our original schedule, pushing the some aspects of WebMerge's development several months longer than we would have preferred. While I'm normally very protective of the time we devote to WebMerge, these other products have been used to support some very critical work, ranging from a UNICEF team in Africa to emergency medical clinics around the world. While these projects don't benefit our WebMerge customers directly, we had an opportunity to literally help save children and I trust you can appreciate the priorities at play. While the work has been demanding, the results have made it worthwhile.

But even as those projects were in development, we managed to continue moving the WebMerge code base forward. Since v2.4 Apple introduced Intel-based Macs and Microsoft rolled our Windows Vista, and we've updated the code base to accommodate both. We also have an engineer working on the Linux version, which is now approaching its testing phase. We've also produced custom versions of WebMerge for Russian Legacy and ShareASale, and have taken advantage of WebMerge's plugin architecture to build specialized additions for a couple large organizations with specialized needs.

But beyond responding to changes in operating systems and opportunities in the business environment, the core architecture of WebMerge required some deep revisions to handle the many excellent requests you folks have been making. While WebMerge 2.5 will appear very similar to v2.4 on the surface, under the hood it has far more in common with v3.0, which will be a very different product.

How different? I won't tip my hand on the specifics just yet, but I can say that you'll be able to run your existing WebMerge settings files without needing to change them, but you'll probably want to in order to take advantage of the new capabilities it'll offer. And if we do our job right, you'll have a good time doing so - we've been working hard to make sure that all the power and flexibility of WebMerge 3.0 will be delivered in a design which should be simpler to use in many ways than the current version.

With so much common code shared between v2.5 and v3.0, it's unlikely that the gap between those versions will be anywhere near as long as between v2.4 and v2.5. And with the other projects we'd been working on now at a point of stability, we're starting off 2008 with a renewed focus on WebMerge development here.

So when exactly will v2.5 be released? Some parts of the engine are still undergoing significant revision so it's hard to say, but if all goes well we're hoping to have it ready for testing this quarter.

But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. I'll get back to work for now, but please keep your suggestions rolling in. Knowing what you need most will help us better prioritize our feature rollouts.

For starters: what would you want to accomplish with MySQL/PHP that you can't do with WebMerge today?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

But as they say, the proof is in the pudding.
    I agree!

Thanks for responding to my post.
    First, let me state that I like version 2.4 a lot but have been awaiting the new update for quite a while now. Like I said earlier, three years. You said, “[a]ctually, the most recent version of WebMerge was posted on January 29, 2007.” (emphasis added) In all fairness, the release of a “minor update” to a product does not constitute calling it a new version of the product. A new “version” of WebMerge would be 2.5. There has been none.

Then, you went on to report all the wonderful things you have done that has taken you away from WebMerge. That is all fine and good and I really appreciate that you shared all that dribble with me and the other readers of this thread; however, I only asked when the next version of WebMerge would be done? Your response of “if all goes well we're hoping to have it ready for testing this quarter” was sufficient. Now, we have a date. I will check this board again in April to see if all went well.

Your question to me of “what would you want to accomplish with MySQL/PHP that you can't do with WebMerge today?” I would want to have WebMerge sort my products into different categories and subcategories. I read in another post you said that capability would be available in Version 3.0.

Affiliate Manager
    A few thousand people are building multi-tier sites with the current version of WebMerge in which their pages are broken down by category and subcategory. We certainly aim to make this even more convenient going forward, but the current version hasn't stopped people from doing that today.

If there's something more specific about how that would work I'm very interested in hearing what you had in mind. You mentioned another thread which details this - can you recall which one?

Given your impression that this is "dribble", I'd be happy to delete this thread and carry on a more productive conversation in a new one focused on sorting features. Agreed?
    Richard Gaskin

Hi Richard,

I got your email yesterday, I have sent you a PM.

Thanks.

In my haste to answer your question about what I wanted to do with WebMerge that it could not currently do, I suppose I was unclear. I am not a programmer thus, my reliance on WebMerge. I also do not care to search for the thread that I read months ago from a person wanting to do exactly what I want to do with WebMerge. In that thread, you told him that capability was not available in Version 2.4 but would be available in Version 3.0. Thus, you have already responded with no need for further elaboration.

I did not say that this “thread” was “dribble’. What I said was that all your excuses were dribble. Your excuses where an obvious effort on your part to justify the delay in release of a new version of WebMerge by listing all the wonderful things you’ve done other then WebMerge. That is what I called “dribble”. People, in this case your customers, have a reasonable expectation that a new release of WebMerge will be coming shortly with a new version to follow. This is particularly true when you have a board, such as this one, devoted to all things WebMerge and where for the past three years you have repeatedly posted information about Version 2.5 and Version 3.0 and never, to my recollection, posted anything about other projects delaying the release of a new version of WebMerge.

As for deleting this thread, I DO NOT agree to delete it, as I believe others may be looking for a new release of WebMerge. However, I also do not believe you need my approval to do what you will with your board.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    <snip>
    But as they say, the proof is in the pudding.
    <snip>
    I thought there was something else in the pudding.

Affiliate Manager
    steveyoung - That you find WebMerge valuable and are looking forward to new features is much appreciated. A few thousand others are enjoying greater productivity with the current version of WebMerge, and share your enthusiasm for new versions as they become available.

My explanation of the work on WebMerge and other products over the last year was provided for the benefit of other who, as you note, may also be anticipating new features. All of my post but one paragraph was devoted to WebMerge, describing the work done to date to take fuller advantage of the latest operating systems and move the code base forward in ways that will better accommodate future growth. And while the Linux version may not benefit your work, I do have a number of folks here requesting it and felt that including mention of our progress on that OS would be helpful for them.

That you consider my description of our work "dribble" is unfortunate, and to be honest the aggressive tone is as surprising as it is unnecessary. If there's anything I can do to help take the edge off your day I'm happy to help if I can.

In the meantime, I'll continue my work on WebMerge 2.5 and will post notice here when it's available for testing.
    Richard Gaskin

Again, I never called your WORK dribble only your EXCUSES. I even told you why I believed this when I stated, “People, in this case your customers, have a reasonable expectation that a new release of WebMerge will be coming shortly with a new version to follow. This is particularly true when you have a board, such as this one, devoted to all things WebMerge and where for the past three years you have repeatedly posted information about Version 2.5 and Version 3.0 and never, to my recollection, posted anything about other projects delaying the release of a new version of WebMerge.”

Now, you didn’t deny the truth of what I said in that post. Instead, you attack me personally by accusing me of using an “aggressive tone”. Sometimes, the truth is distasteful, but, it is still the truth. You sir, have an excellent product with a loyal customer base that you chose to ignore for other gains. That is the truth. It is also true, that you can count me among your ex-customers, as I for one, will no longer do business with you. I will find another solution and I’ll bet it doesn’t take me three years.

Have a nice day.

Affiliate Manager
    We both agree that you referred to my description of our work here as "dribble" (see my post you're replying to). I hope we don't need to dissect that further.

As far as personal attacks, your choice to call my explanation an "excuse" and to label is as "dribble" clearly speaks for itself.

While I'm sorry to see you go, it's becoming evident that it may not be possible for me to satisfy you anyway. You asked why the upgrade was taking this long, and when I explained it you became insulting. And that you read about the work we've been doing on WebMerge over the last year and then claim that I "ignore" our customers is just more of the same, and misleadingly so.

Just the same, my door remains open to you always. The next version of WebMerge, version 2.5, will be another free upgrade, and like all of our customers you'll be welcome to use it if you choose.

If I can be of further assistance you're welcome to call me at anytime: 800-288-5825 in the States, and 323-225-3717 for international calls.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Richard Gaskin

Look, I know what I said and I NEVER called or agreed with you that I called your work dribble. When making that false accusation, you site “see my post you’re replying too” as your proof. Why should I or anyone else look at YOUR post to prove or disprove something that I am alleged to have said? Instead of looking at YOUR post, look at MY posts and you will discover that I did NOT describe your work as dribble, only your excuses as dribble.

Then, you go on to state, “[y]ou asked why the upgrade was taking this long”. Are you actually reading my posts? I never asked that question. However, rather than argue that point with you, I will simply ask you to quote a line in any of my posts where you think I did ask it. Place that line in your next post for me, and the readers of this thread to reference. You cannot because IT DOES NOT EXIST! Now, that did have an aggressive tone I must admit, but, I grow weary of constantly having to respond to your attempts to twist my words into something that affords you more comfort.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    The next version of WebMerge, version 2.5, will be another free upgrade, and like all of our customers you'll be welcome to use it if you choose.
    WebMerge FAQ

10. What is your upgrade policy?

Our basic upgrade policy grants all registered users a license to the current version and all upgrades released within at least a year of purchase.
    Pardon me for butting in here but Richard will this be a free upgrade for ALL purchasers of 2.4 or just those that purchased 2.4 within a year of the release of 2.5?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    Look, I know what I said and I NEVER called or agreed with you that I called your work dribble. When making that false accusation, you site “see my post you’re replying too” as your proof. Why should I or anyone else look at YOUR post to prove or disprove something that I am alleged to have said?
    Because it might be helpful. I wrote "That you consider my description of our work 'dribble' is unfortunate".

May we please be done with that?

Then, you go on to state, “[y]ou asked why the upgrade was taking this long”. Are you actually reading my posts? I never asked that question.
    Strictly speaking, you're absolutely right. You asked "when", not "why", and I answered both.

As you noted, you're not the only one who might find this thread useful. Some folks may appreciate understanding the "why" behind the "when", and in private correspondence they've said as much.

In short, you asked a question and have acknowledged that my first reply contained the answer you were looking for.

Why you took exception to my providing additional information remains mystifying, but I'll gladly let this rest if you will. I'm sure we both have more productive things to do with our day.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    [LEFT]
    Pardon me for butting in here but Richard will this be a free upgrade for ALL purchasers of 2.4 or just those that purchased 2.4 within a year of the release of 2.5?
    You're not butting in at all. This thread is here for Q/A about the new version, and your question is a good one.

All upgrades since v1.0 to date have been free for all registered customers, regardless of when they purchased, and v2.5 will be as well.

Most software companies charge for major upgrades, such as the transition from 1.x to 2.0, and some even charge for lesser upgrades like 2.0 to 2.1, 2.1 to 2.2, etc. But we've been giving away all upgrades thus far to our loyal customers for free as a way of saying "Thanks" for their support.

Version 3.0 will be our first paid upgrade, and our upgrade policy outlined in FAQ#10 refers only to paid upgrades.

We've given away so many free upgrades I should clarify that in the FAQ next time I update it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Richard Gaskin

Great! Thanks.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Mr. Gaskin,

“Because it might be helpful”??? You can’t be serious. Helpful to whom? Helpful to anyone who wanted to know what you THINK I said, but NOT helpful to anyone who wanted to know what I ACTUALLY said. These are two completely different things. If they want to know what I actually said, they and you should simply read MY posts not yours.

Then, you finally acknowledge that I am correct. I made no such inquiry about why WebMerge was delayed. And, this could have ended after that post, but, you made your first of a series of false statements about what I called dribble. That mistake has brought us to here.

Finally, I’ll let this rest when you stop twisting my words. Oh, and nope, I don’t have more productive things to do with my day. I consider defending myself against those who falsely accuse me to be a VERY productive use of my time. I am retired and I have ALL day, EVERY day.

Affiliate Manager
    Mr. Gaskin,

“Because it might be helpful”??? You can’t be serious. Helpful to whom?
    To those who will read what is written.

I wrote that it was the DESCRIPTION of my work that you labeled "dribble". I never said you were as insulting about the work itself.

In my last post I even put the word "DESCRIPTION" in BOLD TYPE to make that clear, to no avail.

Oh, and nope, I don’t have more productive things to do with my day.
    That's a helpful explanation.
    Richard Gaskin

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    and to be honest the aggressive tone is as surprising as it is unnecessary. If there's anything I can do to help take the edge off your day I'm happy to help if I can.
    wow that's a keeper - i can use that line (several times a day)

For starters: what would you want to accomplish with MySQL/PHP that you can't do with WebMerge today?
    For starters, a synonymiser. I have not touched my Webmerged sites for over a year because they have all been supplementalled by Google and refreshing the data doesn't fix the problem of duplicate content. It would be good to have the choice of selecting either a static synonym table (e.g. picture is always replaced by photo) or a dynamic one where each visitor gets a different set of synonyms.

Ability to add user-generated content such as ratings and reviews. This helps to distinguish our thin affiliate pages from the 1000 others who take the same datafeed.

Automated ftp and cron for networks that have a fixed datafeed layout, e.g. CJ.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Great post, crm911:

Quote Originally Posted by crm911
    For starters, a synonymiser. I have not touched my Webmerged sites for over a year because they have all been supplementalled by Google and refreshing the data doesn't fix the problem of duplicate content. It would be good to have the choice of selecting either a static synonym table (e.g. picture is always replaced by photo) or a dynamic one where each visitor gets a different set of synonyms.
    I'd considered this in the past but lost interest after seeing what other synomizers do to the quality of the content. There are no true synonyms per se, each word has a slightly different meaning, and when enough of them get replaced by approximations the result may be good for robots but can be very odd to read.

Just the same, if we gave control of the synonyms to the user so they can use only the ones they feel are appropriate, I see no problem with adding it if people want it.

Dynamic replacements aren't possible with static pages, but it would be simple enough to put in a random synomymizer that would work on the feed before generating.

After reading your post I was tempted to build one today as a plug-in for WebMerge, so folks could download a small file and just drop it into WebMege's Tools folder to use it in the program. It'd be a nice break from the deeper parts of WebMerge I've been working in.

But as a plug-in, it wouldn't be integrated with WebMerge's auto-run feature. So you'd have to open WM, run the Synonomizer tool, then generate your pages as normal.

If that extra step would be worth the trouble for folks to have a Snynomizer in WebMerge, I can probably take a little time to kick that out shortly.

Do you do these sorts of replacements on more than one field? How many terms do you run these replacements on?

Ability to add user-generated content such as ratings and reviews. This helps to distinguish our thin affiliate pages from the 1000 others who take the same datafeed.
    It would be nice to be able to do that, but that's not possible with any static pages.

Automated ftp and cron for networks that have a fixed datafeed layout, e.g. CJ.
    Automated scheduled FTP is in development for v3.0.
    Richard Gaskin

But I thought you asked what we would like from a MySQL/PHP version - hence dynamic pages as an option. Or at best, a cron script that could rebuild the synonymised static output once a day or twice a day at most.

Yes, user-nominated synonyms are the only way to go, as there are many topics and a synonym in one industry might not work in another.

In addition to synonyms, you could also allow for a user-nominated greeting that would be pulled at random from a list of greetings, so that each page would have a "Thanks for dropping by" type of greeting. Anything that allows slightly customised pages will help to nudge us out of the supplemental space. I can do this with include statements, but some users might need help. Similarly, I have replaced words in the datafeed file with a search/replace, but that's a slow, manual process.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast