Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Why did the OPM cross the street?
    ..To become an affiliate (again).

I am that OPM.

I'm going back to being an affiliate. I truly enjoyed starting and growing the CyberCucina program (and other start-ups that unfortunately didn't see the light of day). Over the last year and a half, I've learned volumes more about this industry and how to succeed in it. But I sorely missed some of the aspects that come with being an affiliate.

- Creativity
    I really missed creating and optimizing websites.

- Being (more) in control of your destiny
    As a manager, you are dependent on two parties that you have no authority over. This can be very frustrating. As an affiliate, I am still dependent on merchants, but to a much lesser extent. It's a lot easier to switch links than it is to terminate contracts! To be honest, I've run my own businesses since I was a teen and I'm used to "calling the shots". Being an OPM, you have to have more of an "employee" mindset which chafed at me. Being and affiliate, I'm again calling the shots. Success or failure, I have no one else to credit except myself.

- The lifestyle I'm after
    I thought that being an OPM would offer the flexible lifestyle I was after. It came really close but affiliateship, I believe, provides it 100%.

- More cashola
    The bottom line is.... "the bottom line". I made way more money being a half-hearted affiliate before becoming an OPM. For me, I believe that there's a lot more money to be made being an affiliate.

So there's my thoughts. I hope I'm as welcome on the other side of the street as you've made me feel on the management/merchant side.

To a prosperous New Year for us all!

~Bob
    (Happy Affiliate)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    The grass is always greener on the other side

So do what you enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    So do what you enjoy...
    Exactly!!

Hey Bob

It isn't always sunny on this side of the street Congrats on the jump back
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Good luck & have fun
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Bob,

I totally understand, having moved from affiliate to OPM back in 2006. I've not created any new affiliate sites since converting and although I do miss it, the satisfaction I get working with affiliates and directly with the merchants I manage has been very rewarding.

Sooooo, Bob, now that you are an affiliate again, let's talk abut some programs I have for you to try....

Happy New Year Bob and thanks for the holiday card I received. Hope to see you in Vegas!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Good luck Bob! You know how to get in touch with me if you want to do some work together.

Have a Happy New Year! It sounds like your already on the righ path.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Good Luck Bob and welcome back to our side of the fence

Sue.

Good luck Bob, I hope this works out well for you.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Good luck.
    Times like this make me ponder how much an affiliate should disclose or trust an OPM or AM or Merchant ...!

However, good luck with your switch.

Hope you don't find yourself to be a great flip flopper on this board

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Congrats to you, Bob!

I look forward to seeing you again in February.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    ..To become an affiliate (again).

I am that OPM.

I'm going back to being an affiliate. I truly enjoyed starting and growing the CyberCucina program (and other start-ups that unfortunately didn't see the light of day). Over the last year and a half, I've learned volumes more about this industry and how to succeed in it. But I sorely missed some of the aspects that come with being an affiliate.
    Wow, what a waffler... Make up your mind Bob! Sure, you want it all, just like everyone else does. Admit it, you want to do nothing and you want to make millions doing nothing... Well guess what bunkie? It doesn't work that way.

Like your mom always advised: "Robert, settle down, find something and stay with it, just like dad and I did when we were your age. You kids today want it all, but as soon as you hit a little bump in the road, you give up and rationalize how something else is more creative, easier, more rewarding blah blah blah." LOL

OK, kidding aside.... Hey Bob, if you have a passion for affiliate marketing and you miss that, then you've made a good choice. I wish you the best with your new / old / new pursuits. I can use some more good affiliates!!!

Go get em tiger!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

It's a lot easier to switch links than it is to terminate contracts! To be honest, I've run my own businesses since I was a teen and I'm used to "calling the shots". Being an OPM, you have to have more of an "employee" mindset which chafed at me. Being and affiliate, I'm again calling the shots. Success or failure, I have no one else to credit except myself.
    Good for you Bob!

I think you may have made a wise decision, because since you were born on December 22, and December 22 is the first day on the Capricorn sign of the zodiac, maybe you too know what I know, that 08 is the Capricorn Year!

Capricorn
    1. The tenth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about December 22 to January 19.
    2. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Capricorn.
    3. A faint zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Sagittarius and Aquarius.

4byMe. We will rule the internet on 08! (Hey, some of us 's believe in that astrology stuff too, that's why we're green here.

We don't need no stinking boss!

Hey Bob, WTG. Your initial post said it all - about being in charge of your own destiny. So push that throttle to the firewall and get ready to "take off" and do what YOU really want to do.

Best wishes on the flight ahead. I'll give you a call when the dust settles a bit.

- Bill
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    ooooo, Bob, now that you are an affiliate again, let's talk abut some programs I have for you to try....
    Second in the queue! I hope we can interest you in a few amwso programs

I thought that being an OPM would offer the flexible lifestyle I was after.
    It's certainly harder to balance the life style you want as an OPM than as an affiliate, clients want to be sure they can get hold of the AM when ever they need you and holidays still require 3-4 hours a day... and don't even think about going on holiday where there's no Internet !!

Good luck with the move Bob, it's always a brave move to change what you are doing.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Good luck Bob, go with your gut and what your passionate about buddy!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Haaayyy What's all this "waffle, make up your mind" stuff?
    Can't a guy taste the variety of life? Who says I have to "pick one thing and stick with it"... oh yeah... yer mother said that. Thankfully, mine didn't.

I've done many varied things so far in my career. I enjoy learning and experiencing every one. You don't know what you are missing if you don't try it.

NYFalcon, I cracked up when I read that you were crossing the street to be an OPM as I was crossing to be an affiliate. It was my first conversation with you in Vegas that planted the seed that perhaps I should get back to becoming an affiliate.

Mellie, Sue, Greg, Kim, Emillo - Thank you!

Ron, Brent, Alan - LOL! I've got your info

Alan - You Rock. I love your abuse.

Mr. Sal ( that's supposed our be our secret )

Bill - Right now, it's Unlimited Vis, but keeping in touch with FSS for any needed deviations.

~Bob

Bob I plan on doing BOTH. I am gonna do the opm thing because I am bored with being an affiliate. I may become an opm for my own product, Thats the difference
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Bob I plan on doing BOTH. I am gonna do the opm thing because I am bored with being an affiliate. I may become an opm for my own product, Thats the difference
    Ah HA! Kewl!!! Let me know if I can help in any way.

~Bob

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    You're right Bob, I DO rock!! Happy to see that you took it in stride. I know you'll make your mom proud!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Cool stuff Bob!

You coming to Vegas?

Hey Donuts!
    YES! I'm totally there! I wouldn't miss it for anything.

In fact, I'm particularly looking forward to this one because I won't have any nagging pressure to "sell" any program. Just kick back with good friends, and soak in the information.

~Bob

ps: Whooo hoo... this is post# 500

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Congrats on post #500. I look forward to seeing you in Vegas and hope we get a chance to hang out and have some drinks and a meal together while we're there. See you soon. Happy New Year. Congrats on crossing the road. My take on it is that you're widening your skill set and better preparing yourself for all that comes your way Bob, that's just smart. Change is inevitable, being prepared for it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    ...Just kick back with good friends, and soak in the information....ps: Whooo hoo... this is post# 500
    Sounds like a good plan to me. And, congratulations on the 500th post.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Exclamation I'm not an OPM anymore
    I just wanted to say.... I'm not an OPM anymore!!! UGH.

I was an OPM for about a year. I've been an affiliate marketer for over 8 years. So please wipe that OPM memory from your brain.

After about the 10th person asked me about my OPM stuff at Think Tank this weekend, I realized that I've not done a good job communicating that I'm not a OPM, that I'm a plain old everyday affiliate. So I thought I'd start with bumping this OLD thread so some folks who missed it the first time might see it.

~Bob
    ps: I'm lovin' being an 100% Full Time Affiliate. The grass IS greener over here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast