How to redirect from a website page to an advertiser page?
    Hi,
    I would like to put a redirect in a page of my site pointing to an advertiser page. How can I do this? What type of link should I copy from the links the advertiser offers?
    does cj allow redirection?
    thanks and happy new year

You'd best check with the individual merchant as to whether they allow redirects. If they do, there are a few ways to do this. All of them easily found with a G search. Here are two easy ones..

1. Meta Tags: Put the following inside the tag..
    Code:
    2. Create a .htaccess file. Add the line...
    Code:
    redirect 301 /yoururl.html http://www.widgetmerchant.com/page.html
    hope that helps.

By the way, in case you create text ads for the redirect page on Google - I'm pretty sure they disallow redirects. You'll find your ad suspended and you'll receive a warning. Too many warnings and they can suspend your account.

Question
    I use this option that ToughTurkey listed:

One issue that i just ran into with CJ is that when i use this redirect, my "Referring Url" that CJ sees is coming up as blank. This doesn't affect me at all, but CJ wants me to change my site so that the referring url doesn't show as blank.

Anyone know how to correct this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by seven-link
    -------------------------------------------------------
    If you program in VBScript (asp)...
    <%
    AffLink="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-bla-bla-bla/bla?SID=blaaa&AID=blabla&PID=numnum&mpre=http....."
    %>

If you program in JavaScript...

You can place the affiliate link directly in the body tag but you may run into trouble with nested quotes.
    The onload command in the body tag is the key. This page must load completely before proceeding to open the page associated with your affiliate link. This assures that this page will register as the referring url for the affiliate link.
    If there is no displayable content other than the body tag this page will be virtually undetectable to the user. You can include counters or any other script you desire.
    Last edited by Boomers; February 14th, 2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Shortened example links to reduce scrolling...

Bommers thanks for the samples.

I'm not sure this is possible.
    Is there a technique to open the affiliate link in a new windows without loosing the referer?

I guess the logic would be something like:
    Pass the referer value to the new window
    Inject it in the browser
    Redirect to the affiliate link

Might be a simpler way...?
    Last edited by delsol; February 14th, 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Hi delsol,

I never graduated to PHP so I may not be much help there. I've programmed all the sites on our servers utilizing ASP. I would expect that the scripts will be basically the same with a little different syntax for creating and reading the variable.

I just Googled a PHP reference to check variable syntax. You can try something like the following...

$AffLink = "http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-bla-bla-bla/bla?SID=blaaa&AID=blabla&PID=numnum&mpre=http.....";
    ?>
    "'>"

The above example may be simplistic and there may be location and URL functions in PHP that would load the new link, but you may run into the same redirection referrer issues as before with that method. Also, PHP is case sensitive so you must consider the case when working with variables.

You could play around with a test page to see what works. That's what I do.

Ed
    Last edited by Boomers; February 14th, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added more info...

Also...

The Javascript version should work in a PHP page as well as an ASP page or an HTML page.

Code:
    YOUR STAT CODE HERE

Uses a one second delay with your tracking code first. Tracking always fires and referrers will always register with javascript. Those with javascript turned off (very small %) will not show a referrer, but they will still redirect. Not a big deal. The one second is pretty much unnoticeable. Instant redirects (0 second) do indeed block referrers very often as mentioned earlier. Combination of javascript and meta refresh gets everybody and does not disable the back button. I put no other code on the page.

Change the red to your url, the green to your stat code, and the blue is the delay. Javascript is in milliseconds and meta refresh in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by seven-link
    I use this option that ToughTurkey listed:

One issue that i just ran into with CJ is that when i use this redirect, my "Referring Url" that CJ sees is coming up as blank. This doesn't affect me at all, but CJ wants me to change my site so that the referring url doesn't show as blank.

Use PHP (if your server supports it - it needs to end with ".php":
    Code:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313
    Code:
    YOUR STAT CODE HERE

Uses a one second delay with your tracking code first. Tracking always fires and referrers will always register with javascript. Those with javascript turned off (very small %) will not show a referrer, but they will still redirect. Not a big deal. The one second is pretty much unnoticeable. Instant redirects (0 second) do indeed block referrers very often as mentioned earlier. Combination of javascript and meta refresh gets everybody and does not disable the back button. I put no other code on the page.

Change the red to your url, the green to your stat code, and the blue is the delay. Javascript is in milliseconds and meta refresh in seconds.
    I use the onload event because it is absolute, and I don't like building in delays. If the page loads in 150ms then boom(!), the link loads and the referral URL isn't dependent on a delay. Except for the delay your method looks good as long as you are doing nothing else on the page. In that case, if for some reason the page partially loads and then is delayed, as happens, the redirection could occur before the page finishes loading. For instance, I have one redirect page that tests an If/Then construct. It uses session variables for the redirection URL. If someone gets nosy and tries to open that page freestanding, the session variables don't exist and the page will instead open a listing of our eBay store inventory (with affiliate links).

One Web...And Oh So Many Ways

Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    Is there a technique to open the affiliate link in a new windows without loosing the referer?
    Opening the new window part is easy, however, there are so many people using popup blockers that a new window may not open and you'd lose the click. I'd have to play with it a little to see if the referrer stays intact, but in light of the above statement, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort...

If someone gets nosy and tries to open that page freestanding, the session variables don't exist and the page will instead open a listing of our eBay store inventory (with affiliate links).
    Ahhh... seee... that's where I would add...

Else
    Response.write "Stop fiddling with my URL!" & vbNewLine

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313
    Ahhh... seee... that's where I would add...

Else
    Response.write "Stop fiddling with my URL!" & vbNewLine

Or:

Else
    Response.write "Your monitor is about to explode!" & vbNewLine

Because the redirection page will show up as the referring URL, the 'Else' is actually intended for the merchant or network in case they get curious.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread