Second Life - Anybody Tried It?
    After reading about Second Life in Revenue I have been real curious. A few days ago I signed up to give it a look see and am pretty much amazed at what Linden Lab has created.

I'm a slow learner and am just finished with the orientation area and have teleported to an place called "money island". Really I'm like a fish out of water in the virtual world, having never been a video gamer.

My interest is to see why big companies are paying real dollars for virtual space, and to see if it's a place for affiliates. I clicked on a slot machine like a dummy and found myself in one of those never ending survey schemes.

For a great detailed explanation of what it's all about I enjoyed reading a very lengthy explanation of Second Life in Wikipedia.

I tried it a couple nights, but had a tough time getting around. I found lots of get-rich-quick things, but couldn't really find anything meaningful? Maybe I'm too old for it though?

I tried it when it was in beta and I hated it. I tried it again about 7 months ago, and it wasn't any better than it was in beta.

Some people swear by it... I don't understand it. Maybe I'm old, too... but I've been gaming for two decades and it's not a game. The fact that people spend real world dollars to buy Linden currency to spend in Second Life blows my mind. I remember playing Ultima Online back in '99 and reading about people spending a thousand real world dollars to buy a castle in the game. Utterly ridiculous.

ABW Ambassador
    I know someone who designs "art" in there and is able to sell it, then convert the Linden currency into real money. Supposedly some people can give up the day job making money in Second Life.

Which does seem totally nutty.

I wanted to try it just to see what it was like, but alas.. while the computer is more than fast enough, the graphics card is not good enough.

ABW Ambassador
    Got in some heated discussions over this over the year and how it relates to affiliate marketing. Didn't really see the connection. To me it's just an online role playing game. There are people making money selling "property" and things like that but when I buy property, it's going to be real.

Ignorance is bliss for some people, especially about SL ....

But if you choose to educate yourself, you will see that there are plenty of opportunities to make money in SL, and I know many people who are making FT incomes there.... none are buying and selling property. Like any medium, you will need to get into it and explore before you can figure out how people are making money. I am sure it will be like affiliate marketing was in the beginning, though .... no one is going to tell you how to do it point blank...

Trust, there people in SL making money selling other people's products for profit, so I guess that would be related to affiliate marketing? It is just not as 'clear' as looking at a coupon site and saying 'i can make money doing this.' If people want to make money there, they will have to do some legwork to figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Which does seem totally nutty.
    So does working in your pjs, just nutty.... LOL!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    So does working in your pjs, just nutty.... LOL!
    Actually, on second thought.. it doesn't seem that nutty. Well, it does, but doesn't.

I just remembered there are games out there like Maple Story, Gaia Online, and others that are free to play, but if you want the "cooler" looking items for your characters, you have to pay real money and a lot of people pay real money.

If you consider that, along with the fact that games like Second Life can be really addicting, I can see how it isn't nutty.

Second Life is a great venue. There are also a couple other takes on this virtual world... vside (beta) and novoking .

The opportunities there are very real indeed.

-sfcom

I am having a hard enough time navigating real life, I don't need a second one
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I know this friend, who has brother that has a sister who has a boyfriend who has a cousin who has a grade school friend who has a mom who made a million dollars on second life. By dressing up in a bunny outfit and offering to have sex with other players.

Play around with variants of that, and that is second life.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    For those who don't understand people using real money to purchase things in Second Life, consider this:

Do you ever buy music? Is that "real"? What's the value? It's music that you enjoy, and you listen to it...thus you pay for it.

Movies? Same thing.....

Art? I'm sure people have paid more for artwork then the intrinsic value of the canvas and paints used.....

Some people really enjoy Second Life....they enjoy it as much as other people enjoy paintings, sculpture, movies or music....and are willing to pay to enhance that enjoyment.

I've never tried second life myself, but I CAN understand how people would be paying for things to enhance their experience there.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAMWSO
    I've never tried second life myself, but I CAN understand how people would be paying for things to enhance their experience there.
    How does a player know if the other player is of legal age?
    Sometimes it's good to wait for certain "experience enhancing" deals.
    Chetf's example of the woman in the bunny costume sounds risky if minors (under 18) are involved.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    The fact that people spend real world dollars to buy Linden currency to spend in Second Life blows my mind.
    This article in The Financial Times might bring them back to reality.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    But dave, those are physical good. Second life can decide one day - nope, not letting people cash out. Or they can close their doors, and then people are left with nothing. Your goods are also not protected from thieves who "game you" for them etc. It is very different.

Rhia, second life is well known as little more than sex chat for many, many of its users.

What second life excels at above all else - self promotion.

I'd be afraid to get involved in something like Second Life mainly because of:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 71 > 1466A
    Prev | Next
    1466A. Obscene visual representations of the sexual abuse of children
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6---A000-.html

If there are kids on Myspace you can bet there will be some on Second Life.

"If age verification drives out adult businesses, that could prove a costly change for Linden Lab, the developers and operators of Second Life, Fitzpatrick said."
    [source]
    Yay for age verification.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 1st, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This thread has taken a spin. I believe the original question was that of business in SL. Perhaps splits to 'sex in virtual worlds,' and 'why people spend money on stuff others don't think is important' is needed? Geesh. LOL!

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund via Meme Science, has just funded a major project some may find interesting...
    http://www.thewallsl.com/

If you are in SL, I encourage you to take a stroll, it is nothing short of amazing.

That was definitely worth the visit Anne. They should be applauded for their efforts.

-sfcom

I love New Orleans. You can find what ever you want there. There is St. Louis Cathedral and also Bourbon Street. No vacuum will pull in either direction. Same goes for Second Life.

As far as SL goes check out page 114 of September/October 20087 Revenue Magazine. Read about IBM and the Jesuits offering guidelines. These are well established entities taking it very seriously.

If you read the Wiki article linked in the first post you will see that large chunks of money are being spent to have a presence there. I think that an eye to the future is called for.

Thanks for all the great comments. For some reason I only got one email after the second post and was happily surprised now to find so many responses.

ABW Ambassador
    "As far as SL goes check out page 114 of September/October 20087 Revenue Magazine. Read about IBM and the Jesuits offering guidelines. These are well established entities taking it very seriously."

I've also read more than a few articles that the ROI just isn't there. That they're there more because of hype and they don't want to get left behind. It's more to be there just in case. There are also articles about many not wanting the big corporations and their advertising there and some of them have to deal with "raids"

I guess it's still kind of hot right now, not sure if it hit it's peak or not.

"I know many people who are making FT incomes there.... "

I'm sure there are but I do affiliate marketing FT, SL is just not something I'm into. In past discussions I was asking people how I could utilize this for my business and could never get a good answer on it. And if they do ever go out of business, people who have bought virtual property are pretty much screwed. Those selling it are pretty smart I suppose.

"A few days ago I signed up to give it a look see and am pretty much amazed at what Linden Lab has created. "

Keep this thread updated as far as all of that. I'm really curious if you get anything out of it. If you make money or if you utilize it somehow with your current affiliate ventures or use it another way.
    Last edited by Trust; January 1st, 2008 at 10:08 PM.

It's MySpace with a 3D interface. Some people really get into it and can make money with it, some can't - or won't. Count me in the "won't" column. Agreed - many companies are only there because it's a fad and they don't want to be left out... just like MySpace.

Speaking of stability, when my MacBook Pro that's less than a year old can't run SL without the client crashing and neither can my two year old Windows machine that happily runs Doom III, Unreal Tournament 3 and others... meh.

There is always some way to make money with these types of virtual worlds. The key with this is to get involved and find out what most people are after in the game, although just like anything else, you would have to put many hours into it to see any return.

I joined about 6 months ago, logged in and browsed for about a week. I was amazed at all of it but I simply don't have the time to devote to really getting involved with it. Perhaps if I were single or had NO children..

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    IWOOT set up a virtual store where customers can buy products paid for with Linden Dollars and the products get delivered to their home address. At the time it was a big step for them and it's paid off.

If you are a merchant willing to spend serious money setting things up properly then places like Second Life will be very profitable.

You can read a bit about it here:
    http://www.silicon.com/research/spec...9167816,00.htm
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread