View Poll Results: How do you pick your Hosting company?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cost

6 42.86%
  • User Interface

1 7.14%
  • Diskspace & Bandwidth Allowances

4 28.57%
  • Tech Support

5 35.71%
  • Referral from a friend

1 7.14%
  • Other

10 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    If you could design your Ideal Hosting Package...
    What would you ask for?

What would you want as far as Disk Space, Bandwidth, Emails, Databases, Built In's, User Interface, Cost, and anything else I am forgetting?????

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    hmm...

100 email addresses
    bandwidth unlimited
    domains unlimited
    CPU limit: none
    Server Software: up-to-date
    add ons: fantastico, a good control panel, automatic per domain backups sent to my e-mail every two weeks, each database backup sent weekly.
    databases: unlimited
    disk space: 20 GB
    cost: $15
    Other: Be able to pay monthly via PayPal, free moving of my domains and files to my new account.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    ... anything else I am forgetting?????
    Oh Yeah [img]images/icons/icon4.gif[/img]

Uptime percentages and guarantees.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I had to choose other, because...

You forgot to include "reliability" in the poll, which is my main consideration.

I currently use reseller accounts and vps units - spread among three companies who have proven (to me) to have very good uptime over the last few years. I also need the WHM/CPanel configuration. I do not resell, but need true multiple domain hosting. I do NOT need email.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Pretty much what Beachy said.... Reliability is the most important feature here. There are too many hosting company's promising the moon, but failing to deliver uptime and server speed.

A pet peeve of mine is hosting companies that basically offer space and bandwidth that would crush a server if they put more than a few customers on the same box. Then they hide CPU usage limitations in the TOS. It's a dishonest way to do business IMO, yet it seems to work for them.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Don't forget backups. I had a host that had a "great" backup plan. All the sites and the entire server were backed up to another drive. In case of drive failure, the backup drive just needed to be swapped with the bad drive.

The problem was, they never shared this plan with the tech people who managed the server. In trying to get the server back online, they noticed the additional drive, thought it would be great to use it so they formatted it and setup the OS. There went the backup and any dreams of a quick fix. Priority 1 was getting my sites back online using MY backup. Priority 2 was finding a new hosting company.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Uptime percentages and guarantees.
    Thank you for reminding me of this - I don't think about uptime as we have had 99% uptime for 13 years - so it doesn't sit in the fore front of my mind....but yes if uptime, reliability, guarantees, back up procedures influence your decision, please add it in....

Everyone's input has been fantastic!

Thank you for reminding me of this - I don't think about uptime as we have had 99% uptime for 13 years - so it doesn't sit in the fore front of my mind....but yes if uptime, reliability, guarantees, back up procedures influence your decision, please add it in....

Maybe I'm picky, but 99% isn't high enough. One of my hosts has provided me with 99.87% over the past year and the other 99.72%.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

ABW Ambassador

99% uptime is risky here. It means 3 days of downtime in a year.

99.9% should be a standard (not counting the late night downtimes for maintenances of one to two hours every now and then - not to exceed 5 per year)

Totally agree about 99.9% (or higher). I've averaged about 30 minutes per year of (host-related) downtime with my current host. That's 99.9943% uptime. I would be very upset with 3 days per year of downtime.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_nines

ABW is between four 9's (99.99%) and five 9's (99.999%) uptime.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for the poll: Reliability, and all of the other options, too, to varying degrees (reliability as noted on WebHostingTalk, and here at ABW--not just the host's ads).

My ideal hosting package? I'll warn you: I want eggs in my beer.

Reliability! 99.9% or better uptime.

Start with a dedicated server w/root access. I don't want to have to ask permission (or get tech support, which amounts to the same thing) to change some silly default.

24/7 cheery, helpful tech support that will answer any question no matter how newbish. IOW, if I can't figure out how to change some particular "silly default" they'll tell me, and without any "attitude."

Replacement of dead hardware at no extra cost.

Extensive onsite tutorials for all the common stuff, written in plain English for entry-level users. I cuss the countless hours I've wasted Googling up stuff that should have been right in the tuts on server-providers sites.

cPanel = yes.

Unlimited domains of course.

Easy and cheap acquisition of extra dedicated IPs.

Loads of bandwidth! More than I foresee ever needing. 1500GB/mo. or more. I hate bumping up against a limit.
    Cheap bandwidth upgrades. Just in case I get on Oprah or something.

Lots of disk space. As much as is on my PC. Currently that's 200GB, and at this time, that should do. Again, I hate bumping up against a limit!

RAM out the wazoo. 4GB or so standard, with upgrade options.

A badass processor.

Automatic offsite backups included without extra cost.

Firewall included without extra cost.

Automatic patching where possible.

No ridiculous fees for upgrading components, RAM, etc.

Easy upgrading/downgrading. None of this, (what amounts to) "it wasn't set up that way and now it'll be a load of grief to change it" baloney. This comment refers to stuff like RAM and bandwidth, which doesn't need an OS reload to accomplish.

And here's the egg I want in my beer:
    All for $200/mo or less.

I've been able to find the beer, and some egg, but it's still not enough egg. I currently pay extra for the backup and firewall, but I really think those things should be included in all packages. Also I haven't been able to find a package that has lots of RAM for that kind of money either...if there is one somewhere, they probably skimp on something else.

All,

When looking at uptime see if you can get a 3rd party monitoring service to get you the uptimes of a potential host . Also look at what is considered "uptime". Scheduled maintenance is usually not counted in there.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    I am always scared off when a host doesn't have a forum, or if they do have a forum they moderate it too heavily.

13 years and rolet.com has zero returns at wht, and no returns discussing it at all on google. Sorry, big big big red flag.

Chet

If you are looking for a host with HUGE forum support look at HTTPme - thier forum IS their site. I personally know the owner Steve and have talked to him. He is even considering coming and hanging out in Las Vegas this year so he can get a better idea of the affiliate marketing world and their unique hosting needs.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    ...He is even considering coming and hanging out in Las Vegas this year so he can get a better idea of the affiliate marketing world and their unique hosting needs...
    That would be awesome.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread