Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    That's it. They're going to drive me MAD!!!
    Hubby just emailed me a link to this article which claims that it's good for my waistline to eat steak, ice cream, eggs, Canadian bacon and even -- gasp -- pizza. While I would like to think it's true I have to wonder if the steak-ice cream-egg-Canadian bacon-and-pizza industries commissioned these studies by corruptible scientists.

What do YOU think?

Bad foods that are actually great for your waist

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of that, it seems they're talking about some lower fat, or leaner type varieties at the same time being great sources of protein.

Really, any food can be ok for a diet... it's the amount we eat that is the problem. Moderation is the key to dieting as it is to most things in life.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Moderation and Exercise.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I know one thing about my metabolism and that is that when I've been on a high carb, low fat and low protein diet I've been thin. I gain weight when I put more animal protein and fat in my diet. In fact, when I ate mostly carbs I could pig out on cake and bread and pasta and I never gained weight. But I really, really REALLY like cheese, and that's been my biggest problem.

Moderation is important but I have to (re)learn discipline. So from now on the only cheese in this house is going to be cheese for grating onto pasta and salads. Bread is going to become my best friend again! lol! Fortunately I adore veggies so I'm going to load up on my favorites when I hit the supermarket tomorrow. In lieu of pizza I'm going to make my own foccacia with lots of veggies and a sprinkling of locatelli. I'm also going to try to limit myself to one serving of animal protein a day.

Oh, and we bought an exercise bicycle last week. I can't BELIEVE how out of shape I've gotten. AM has not been good for my waistline. I spend way too much time sitting in front of the computer.

Wish me luck! I wanna be a size 4 again. :sobbing:

Before I eat anything, I make sure it has at least 5 grams of fiber and a good protein to carb ratio. If the food has 3 grams of protein and 45 carbs, I won't eat it.

I tend not to believe all the diet hype and just eat high-quality food that I think is good for me. Since I have been eating that way (and I'm vegan), I have been able to maintain my ideal weight. Now if I could just stick to an exercise routine!!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I can't BELIEVE how out of shape I've gotten. AM has not been good for my waistline. I spend way too much time sitting in front of the computer.

Wish me luck! I wanna be a size 4 again. :sobbing:
    so, avoid Slow Jed's for a few weeks . . .

Don't you already eat that stuff? Are you getting thinner?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The problem with the foods in the article is that the amounts they (and any other nutritionist that isn't an oddball) consider "moderate" are really so darned small you'll feel like you're on a starvation diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Stick to a three-ounce serving (roughly the size of a deck of cards).
    This is typical advice for beef and the like. The fact that such a portion isn't even a snacklet is something they conveniently ignore...

I've found that it's generally better for me to eat something lower-cal if I'm trying to get weight to go away, because I can't stand being hungry, and 3 oz just is NOT going to cut it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread