Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Question Okay...So how realistic is it???
    Alrighty. My first affiliate site is up and has a few articles, so far nothing major yet.

    So how realistic is it to believe that I can get my site listed in the top ten search results in the organic search listings in Google or the other top search engines? (Without black-hat SEO methods of course)

    I hear that with enough good content and backlinks I can get good results in the natural search listings. I have watched a few Stompernet videos and those guys make it sound so easy.

    So how easy is it really?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. #2
    Full Member KODea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2005
    Posts
    236
    This will take awhile depending who are trying to beat in the top ten. Take a look at there backlinks and see how many they have and the quality.

  3. #3
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    Patience is a key tool
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

  4. #4
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    It all depends on a lot of details, SEO, originality, and Keyword competition.

  5. #5
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by KODea
    This will take awhile depending who are trying to beat in the top ten. Take a look at there backlinks and see how many they have and the quality.
    Thanks KODea. This may be a stupid question, but I'm asking anyway. How can I see how many backlinks a site has?

  6. #6
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Patience is a key tool
    Working on that one.

  7. #7
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    It all depends on a lot of details, SEO, originality, and Keyword competition.
    Any resources you recommend for understanding the details a bit better?

  8. #8
    .
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,973
    As noted, it all depends. One key issue is, what keyword(s) do you want to be in the top-10 for? That ought to depend on what your actual goal is -- I assume that it's to generate product sales for merchants with whom you are affiliated.

    If you're trying to get top-10 position for a keyword like "mortgage" or "web hosting" then you face an immense challenge (and even if you succeed, your success isn't likely to survive for long). On the other hand, if you want top-10 organic position for phrases like "border collie license plate" or "organic pea soup" then it's not as big a challenge.

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Lanadili's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2007
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sprouse
    How can I see how many backlinks a site has?
    Go to Yahoo and type in the search box: linkdomain:www.sitename.com

    This will tell you how many links the site has, and who is linking to them. You can also put a negative in front of the website name so it doesn't include their internal pages. Example: linkdomain:www.sitename.com -www.sitename.com

    Hope this helps.

  10. #10
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    As noted, it all depends. One key issue is, what keyword(s) do you want to be in the top-10 for? That ought to depend on what your actual goal is -- I assume that it's to generate product sales for merchants with whom you are affiliated.

    If you're trying to get top-10 position for a keyword like "mortgage" or "web hosting" then you face an immense challenge (and even if you succeed, your success isn't likely to survive for long). On the other hand, if you want top-10 organic position for phrases like "border collie license plate" or "organic pea soup" then it's not as big a challenge.

    Thanks for your response Mark.

    Yes I am trying to drive traffic to a merchants site by providing an informational site with affiliate links throughout. kayaksforyou dot com is the name of the site.

    The top keywords that I would like to get would be kayak or kayaks which I would think would be extremely difficult to get within the top ten on. I would like to get "kayak review" or "kayak information" but that is pretty competitive as well I'm sure. If someone searches for "Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayak Review" I would stand a better chance correct?

  11. #11
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    Go to Yahoo and type in the search box: linkdomain:www.sitename.com

    This will tell you how many links the site has, and who is linking to them. You can also put a negative in front of the website name so it doesn't include their internal pages. Example: linkdomain:www.sitename.com -www.sitename.com

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Lanadili, I'm going to go try it right now!

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sprouse
    Thanks for your response Mark.

    Yes I am trying to drive traffic to a merchants site by providing an informational site with affiliate links throughout. kayaksforyou dot com is the name of the site.

    The top keywords that I would like to get would be kayak or kayaks which I would think would be extremely difficult to get within the top ten on. I would like to get "kayak review" or "kayak information" but that is pretty competitive as well I'm sure. If someone searches for "Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayak Review" I would stand a better chance correct?
    yep, would have a better chance with that and should have higher conversions since it's more targetted.

  13. #13
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    Yahoo reports back links much more accurately than Google.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

  14. #14
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sprouse
    Any resources you recommend for understanding the details a bit better?
    1. Read ABW for many hours a day.
    2. Investigate your topic and go beyond the common and typical information.
    3. Be complete.
    4. Revise frequently.
    5. Study SEO and implement what you learn.

  15. #15
    Full Member KODea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2005
    Posts
    236

  16. #16
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Maybe you guys can help me understand this.

    I did a linkdomain check in Yahoo on my own site just for kicks and I didn't think I would get any results, but I did get four. Two were links from where I linked from this very forum when I asked for a site review. The other two came from a blog I had responded to twice that required my URL to submit a comment.

    Then I did a search in Google for "Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayak Review" and guess what showed up number ten? One of my articles that I had submitted to Digg showed up as the tenth result on the page.

    Here's my question - Why didn't the backlinks on digg showup when I did the linkdomain search in Yahoo?

  17. #17
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    yep, would have a better chance with that and should have higher conversions since it's more targetted.
    Gotcha.

    Thanks Trust.

  18. #18
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Yahoo reports back links much more accurately than Google.
    Ah, thanks for the tip.

    I figured it could be done in Google as well, but I won't use Google for that now. I'll stick with Yahoo.

  19. #19
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    1. Read ABW for many hours a day.
    2. Investigate your topic and go beyond the common and typical information.
    3. Be complete.
    4. Revise frequently.
    5. Study SEO and implement what you learn.
    Good advice. Thanks.

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador Rehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sprouse
    Here's my question - Why didn't the backlinks on digg showup when I did the linkdomain search in Yahoo?
    Because Yahoo hasn't yet indexed that Digg page.

  21. #21
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Because Yahoo hasn't yet indexed that Digg page.
    Okay. I get it. Not all search engines index at the exact same rate. Duh, me.

  22. #22
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    I personally wouldn't worry about what number I'd get in a SERP ranking. If your content is good and fresh and or revised, and you practice SEO, you will get good rankings sooner or later.
    Checking backlinks and doing searches on your keywords won't get you sales. Making pages, posts, and links do get sales.
    The same think goes for Google PR. I remember several threads a while back taking about how Google lowered their PR, what to do?
    I've made almost all of my affiliate marketing money on sites with PR 1 or 0. My site with PR3 earns very little.

  23. #23
    Member Jim Sprouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I personally wouldn't worry about what number I'd get in a SERP ranking. If your content is good and fresh and or revised, and you practice SEO, you will get good rankings sooner or later.
    Checking backlinks and doing searches on your keywords won't get you sales. Making pages, posts, and links do get sales.
    The same think goes for Google PR. I remember several threads a while back taking about how Google lowered their PR, what to do?
    I've made almost all of my affiliate marketing money on sites with PR 1 or 0. My site with PR3 earns very little.
    You are completely right. I figure I'll get good rankings sooner or later, but it's the later part that makes me antsy. I realize this is going to take some time, I'm just hoping to get as much done correctly the first time as possible. Mistakes are inevitable, but I am trying to make as few as possible. I'm sure I could push things a bit faster if I invested some cash in this thing, but right now all I am investing is time and effort. For now I'll just keep on keeping on. Thanks.

  24. #24
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    Jim,

    We launched a new site in November and are following a best SEO practice philosophy with the site, which is more than 900 pages. We figure that will take 90 days to complete with the creation of good unique content on each page, appropriate inter page text linking and getting appropriate inbound text links that make sense.

    Right now we are beginning to get decent placement on Google on some of the internal pages and are getting 3 or 4 orders a day.

    However we are not really looking for the site to be a major revenue producer for 6 months or more. The first page placements on a few pages show we are on the right track and will continue to tweak the site until we have first page placement on at least half the pages.

    My point is that it takes time to build generic search traffic. You can make quick splashes with PPC but personally I would much rather depend on FREE traffic.

    Make sure you understand best SEO practices, work them into every page on your site and lengthen your expectation window. As I have said before it is actually a good thing that it does in fact take time to build a strong site in the eyes of the SE's. That means the stronger the foundation you build the harder it will be to have your site ousted from good placement by upstarts.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

  25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Is this realistic?
    By richard888 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
  2. What's realistic?
    By BrattyKitty in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •