Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Magazine Quick
    Email I just received:

Dear Affiliates,

It is with great sadness that we announce that MagazinesQuick.com will be ceasing operations and going offline. Effective immediately, orders will no longer be taken and magazines will no longer be sold. MagazinesQuick.com will cease to exist in its current form.

The MagazinesQuick.com affiliate program at ShareASale will also be terminated. We realize this is a sudden decision that comes completely out of the blue and we do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Unfortunately, we have no other alternative.

We want to thank each and every one of you for your efforts over the years. It was a pleasure working with you and for you.

Thank you and good luck.

Best Regards,

MagazinesQuick.com
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    MagazinesQuick.com closing shop
    Just got an email that MagazinesQuick.com closing shop effective immediately.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Wow.. that was a short notice

Just got that email too. I am getting tired of swapping magazine merchants.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Wow.. that was a short notice
    Short? Don't you mean NO notice?

Just checked my links and...sure enough...going to a "closed shop" page.

Sorry, the shop is inaccessible temporarily. Please try again later.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    I can't say this was unexpected ... the David's are good people that fought hard in a tough market filled with fraud and rougue magazine players that undercut established publisher prices.

We tried to help them as long as we could, answering questions and supporting affiliates all without compensation because we knew the financials ...

This was a tough choice for them im sure, this was their baby. Don't take it out on the owners, they are good people and they relly tried hard to make this float.

Blame it on magazine players in the industry that drive the legit ones out of buss.

Having said that, i'm sure they will pay out all commissions that are owed for December sales.

That's my 2 cents ..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Andy a little advance notice woulda been nice.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Andy a little advance notice woulda been nice.
    Totally agree, we found out exactly how you did buddy ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thanks for the alert -- I see that I have some links up via PopShops, and as noted they are still displaying but the destination page says "Sorry, the shop is inaccessible temporarily. Please try again later."

I see that I received two emails about this today: the first was from MagazinesQuick (at 11:40am Pacific time) and the second was from PopShops (at 12:35pm Pacific time).

Prior to this, the last email I see from MagazinesQuick.com was sent by David at ARC on September 30. The next day (Oct. 1), I identified a concern that I had with the merchant's shopping cart display; I don't see any response from ARC or the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Totally agree, we found out exactly how you did buddy ...
    I find it hard to believe.

Their links have been down for a few days now. I was getting the "Sorry, the shop is inaccessible temporarily. Please try again later" for a few days and was thinking it must be due to site maintenance. When the message never went away I logged a ticket with SAS that none my magainesquick datafeed links are working.

Then today I got the email. BTW the SAS ticket is still open.

Affiliates are always taken for granted and are the last to get paid and the last to be told.

I totally agree with Andy's first post above. I deal with magazine merchants for one of the sites that I have. MagazinesQuick.com never tried to sell magazines at prices that were below the publisher's lowest selling price. Many merchants do just that. Selling top titles for short periods of time at crazy low prices.

Andy, maybe you could give me a better understanding of how merchants can get away with this. Thanks.

Bettylou

We knew this would not go over well but here is the full story...

We have been deauthorized. Basically that means that we can no longer clear any magazine orders. We were deauthorized because one of our affiliates was apparently selling subscriptions on eBay... which is absolutely not allowed. We still had orders coming through so we decided to take the shopping cart down while we tried to find another clearinghouse to handle our orders. Long story short... we were unable to find a new clearinghouse and we are left with about three weeks worth of orders that we will have to refund.

Any affiliate commissions earned on the refunded orders will be paid as usual. We will NOT be reversing any affiliate commissions at ShareASale. You earned that money and you should keep it. We'll take the hit on that.

We apologize that there wasn't any advance notice but WE didn't have any advance notice and did the best we could with a really bad situation. This came out of the blue and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused.

As Andy mentioned, this is a very difficult business and quite frankly we are tired of the fight. We had discussed closing the affiliate program and phasing out MagazinesQuick but we never expected the end to come like this.

Andy, thank you for all your help. We really appreciate everything you did for us.

I'll be here for a while tonight and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    [SIZE="2"][LEFT][B]David Culpepper, SubscriptionAgent.com[/B]
    [URL=http://www.subscriptionagent.com/aff/index.html]Affiliate Program Info[/URL] | E: [email=david@subscriptionagent.com]david@subscriptionagent.com[/email] | [URL=http://twitter.com/dculpepper]Twitter[/URL] | [URL=http://www.facebook.com/DavidCulpepper]Facebook[/URL]
    30% Commission & LIFETIME Cookie![/LEFT][/SIZE]

Let me reiterate what both Andy and David have said. We made it as long as we did in the Magazine business because we had the absolute best affiliate base possible. Andy and his top notch team of professionals have been an invaluable resource, working for us pro bono to try to bring you the best program possible and we thank ARC for that support. I cant thank you guys enough for the tremendous amount of time and energy that you put into our program.

As David said earlier, there will be no reversals and the customers in the pipeline will be refunded. We apologize for the few days that the site was down without notice, we were still trying to find a way to make things work with as little hardship as possible. We will be available to answer questions and hear concerns, and rest assured you will get honest answers.

Again, a heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped us take an unknown website in 2005 and turn it into one of Shareasales top 100. Andy hit the nail on the head when he said that this was our baby, and it is with great sadness that we see it come to an end.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

I just wanted to wish David well with whatever he does next and I'm not sure if it's the David family or Culpepper family well with whatever they do next.

From what Andy said you're good people and realize having any type of small business is tough. Especially if you're competing with others who aren't umm will just say playing fairly. Sounds like you tried to make things work so I don't blame you.

Yeap, nobody likes having to pull links without much notice and am in the process of replacing them now, too. Definitely agree with Mellie. lol Went with one merchant from one network, to in-house then to SAS....so definitely tired of changing links. lol

Notice woulda definitely been nice but you've got nothing to gain if your site was not online....not telling us. Anyway...just realize nobody must be too happy about this and wanted to wish you all well with what you do next

Thanks PurpleBear,

The whole ordeal was a nightmare scenario. We found out on December 27th that we had been de-authorized on Christmas Eve. On top of that an entire weeks worth of orders returned by the clearinghouse without notice. The next day, we began trying to find an alternative means of clearing the orders but found out on the 29th it was not possible to do so. We decided at that time to stop taking orders while we negotiated with our last option and when that fell through, we officially notified you guys. I am sorry that we did not send messages earlier but the truth is, we gave notice as soon as we could based on the speed that everything happened and the time of year. Who stays around the office on Christmas eve after all just to de-authorize merchants and cancel orders for what is most likely Christmas gifts? Answer, our clearinghouse.

PurpleBear, Thanks for everything that you have done for us. We wish the absolute best of luck in the future.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

I'm extremely sorry to about your business having to shut down. It's hard to find quality merchants who act with honesty, integrity and good faith. I wish you well and hope that you guys bounce back with another affiliate program in the near future. I would love to work with you again.

Bibby,

Thank you for the kind words. You guys are the heart of Internet commerce and we were extremely lucky to have you as affiliates. If we do start a new program, it will be one that allows us to have much more control over pricing and competition. Closing MagazinesQuick was one of the most difficult things that myself and David Culpepper have had to do in our 12 years of business on the Internet. If we begin another program, we certainly hope that many of our MQ partners will join us.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

I would rejoin any program you run in a minute. You've been very upfront, fair, and ethical, even during this difficult time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Best of luck to you both. Too bad the clearinghouse did not give you warning. I'd sign up again too (even though it would mean changing links lol).
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Ditto to what Michael said. Sorry to see the program gone.

That is not good to hear. I run a magazine site and setting up an affiliate program was one of my to-dos for the first quarter. I know what you mean about those bargain basement sites I often wonder how they do not get shut down and especially the ebay people.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I would rejoin any program you run in a minute. You've been very upfront, fair, and ethical, even during this difficult time.
    I agree 110%.

And I sincerely hope that the David's make another run in a different sector.

You're very welcome David and thank you for the well wishes.
    Really am sorry for what happened and agree it was a nightmare scenario.

Like the others have said. Agree with Michael. I'd be happy to work with you guys again and hope you do decide to do something again.

ABW Ambassador
    My best to you both. I did not realize how cutthroat the magazine sector is.

I guess I really don't get why you're being punished if it was an affiliate on ebay. Shouldn't they be shut down and not you!

Affiliate marketing brings a new education every day! Anyways good luck on your new venture and let us know if it includes an affiliate program.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the kind words and well wishes. We certainly appreciate it and hope we can work together again in the future.

Aunt Lily, I understand what you are saying but ultimately we are responsible. What we are being told is the eBay orders were tracked back to us and linked to our corporate tax ID number (EIN) which lead to us being unable to acquire a new clearinghouse deal. We probably could have reorganized as another corporation and been able to work around the problem but that would have taken a while... and would have been a shady thing to do anyway.

I think it's best we leave the magazine business to those who want to deal with the headaches. We may look for opportunities in other sectors but it may be a while.
    [SIZE="2"][LEFT][B]David Culpepper, SubscriptionAgent.com[/B]
    [URL=http://www.subscriptionagent.com/aff/index.html]Affiliate Program Info[/URL] | E: [email=david@subscriptionagent.com]david@subscriptionagent.com[/email] | [URL=http://twitter.com/dculpepper]Twitter[/URL] | [URL=http://www.facebook.com/DavidCulpepper]Facebook[/URL]
    30% Commission & LIFETIME Cookie![/LEFT][/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast