Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What is it about Cancer?
    It seems so many people are diagnosed with cancer in recent years. Is it that we are now lumping more diseases under the cancer umbrella or are we getting better at diagnosing it? I read somewhere a while ago that we all have cancer type cells. Sometimes those cells stay dormant and other times that go into over-drive. I am sure that's over-simplifying things a bit.

I was informed last night that a close member of my family was now diagnosed with a form of cancer. He is waiting to find out how far it has spread. Meanwhile, I have another family member that has been battling cancer for 6 months now and her "time" she has left, given its' aggressive nature, is less than 2 months. If I find out another member of my family has cancer, I may just lose it.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's always been bad. Think I heard on a recent show that half of us will get some kind of cancer in our lifetime.

Being able to accurately diagnose it is probably part of it, but I suspect that a lot of it has to do with our diet and exercise. We eat far more processed foods and complex carbohydrates than we used to and don't exercise anywhere near as much.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Maybe it is cow's milk that contains cancer causing agents. Maybe it is using a microwave. Maybe it is driving a car (with all of the electromechanical components.)

Nobody knows.

But the one thing I know is that if you give back to help people out, there will be many to help you out when you need it---find comfort in this.

Do not wake up someday yourself and find out you are of the same fate. Live life now and you will have no regrets. Volunteer...donate...help. These are experiences that no cancer can take from anyone.

-sfcom

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I believe that more people develop cancer because they are living longer than they would have a few years ago, because other serious disorders have been, to a great extent, controlled.

Cardio-Vascular disease is a prime example. Not that many years ago, a significant number of people died in their 40s, 50s, 60s, due to now-treatable problems such as arterial blockages, that are now routinely treated through angioplasty and bypass surgery that did not exist 30 years ago.

Kidney, liver, and lung transplants have similarly greatly extended lives, as have other medical developments.

The longer a person lives, the greater the chance of cancer.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'm really very sorry Seymour about your relatives. Hope nobody else is diagnosed with it.

I tend to think there is more of it now only cos I know of sooooo many people who have either had it or have it now, opposed to not that many when I was younger.

My mother-in-law at the time and favorite uncle both died from mouth cancer. (not to start any debates with smokers or anything) but at the time the doctors said it was definitely cigarette related as the cause and they were heavy smokers. Father - in law at time died of cancer. Know of somebody who passed away from lung cancer who was a non-smoker but husband smoked, a guy in his early 30's who smoke heavily died from lung cancer.

Have known 2 people in their 30's one survived the other didn't from different types of cancer and those two didn't smoke. They lived in the same area tho. Don't have any facts (may be some out there but I haven't looked for them) but I do suspect some environmental factors may be reasons for some people getting cancer.

Knew of a young woman having just recently given birth that developed breast cancer, beat it, only to develop another type of breast cancer and die. Know a woman who's husband died of breast cancer. Know a toddler who had brain cancer but survived, somebody in early 40's who didn't. Could go on and on. Really do know a lot of people who've been effected by this terrible disease.

Just my opinion, but doctors did tell us what you said that everybody does have cancer in them but some are never effected by it. Others have things that trigger them and are effected. Lots of times cancer can be removed but can be teeeny microscopic areas still that have it. If one of those triggers are done.....it'll get you again practically instantly. Believe it or not...even after what she'd been thru..mo mil smoked again and it got her instantly.

Definitely think cigarettes are a cause, bad diets and lack of exercise and other bad habits are factors, too. And....think environmental factors also contribute.

Hopefully new discoveries are made in the future so people can be diagnosed and treated even better and things can be done to lessen some of the factors that may be causing it.

Certain cancers can run in families, too, which doesn't help your feelings of despair. Breast cancer, colon cancer, probably others, too. The only good side to that is that if family members tell each other, then you can be watching and getting certain tests to catch it early.

It's always hard when the bad news seems to stack up on you and it sounds like you're in the middle of that. Try to balance your concern and worry with anything positive you can find to think or do with your own immediate family members. It's that whole stop and smell the roses thing.

I can tell you that when you're feeling helpless because someone you love is sick and you can't think of any way to change that - just let them know that you care and you're worried. You don't actually have to do or say the "right thing". Just check in often enough that they can count on the continued connection. A message, a flower, a visit.

SeymourButts - I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time. A few of my family members and people close to me have been affected by cancer. I don't think people understand how difficult it is to watch someone you love suffer with such a horrible disease.

Cancer has become so prevalent, maybe because of environmental causes, or all the mercury in our dental fillings and household products. It is hard to say.

I think it is human nature to ask "why" - but the reality is, we will never know why.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this tough time.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Improper diet, environmental pollution and a lot of ion and non ion drugs ... modern living is filled with carcinogens, from polluted water to the processing and poisoning of our food supply with chemicals, radiation and antibiotics not to mention vaccinations (If I start on this someone will have to pull the plug on me LOL).

I highly recommend reading the book "Natural Cures" by Kevin Trudeau. This man has been blasted in the press more than not but he knows what he's talking about and has not backed down from the pressure. Reading this book will offer a lot of answers and ways to reverse the damage modern living has done to our bodies.

Seymour sorry you're being bombarded with grief.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'm baaaack. Gave some more thought to this and first off wanna say I'm sorry. I didn't mean for my post to sound so doom and gloom. What I was trying to say is that yeap, I do know people who've had cancer and definitely agree with The Fashionista. I'd hope that most people who smoke would've seen what my mil went thru and how she ended up looking and maybe they'd think twice about it. but.....umm sorry to say, my sil did and is just now attempting to stop (she's got emphysema now....so think that's more of the reason) It is a terrible disease and it is terrible indeed to watch somebody you love who has it. It's terrible to watch any loved one suffer with any disease.

But.....I know plenty of people who don't have cancer and lived long lives without ever getting it. Agree with Judi, some of it definitely does run in families and that means those family members should get tested. Early diagnosis helps a lot. There are plenty of people out there who have had cancer and lived long lives after their treatments, too.

So, just cos a person does have family members who've had cancer .....doesn't mean they'll get it.

I honestly do know how you're feeling. My fil and mil had their cancers only within a few years time and there was a step fil who had emphysema in that period, too. There definitely is a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Agree definitely with Judi again.....just being there for people helps a lot and supporting the entire family helps a lot. Especially any of the little people.

Really do wish your relatives all the best and you, too.

I hear you, Seymour. My mom has been fighting pancreatic cancer for 14 months. My sister has been dealing with extrauterine cancer since the summer. And I just found out at Thanksgiving that my other sister has had a growth on her cervix removed twice and it is back again.

It all just sucks.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

And how about KIDS with cancer! Holy crap that's hard to take.

My neighbor has a child that was about 9 years old when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Luckily through treatments, it's in remission (fingers crossed).

As a result, that family has organized a foundation to support the families and kids diagnosed with brain tumors. The disease is horrific. One day they are fine and the next day they have 3 months to live.

Along the lines of what sfcom said, since the spring, I've taken over as their webmaster, built out a new site, and I'm helping them manage the growth of the foundation as it's really exploding. They pair college and high school teams with diagnosed kids. Each supports the other and there's a huge benefit to the kid. The foundation also provides things to the child to improve it's quality of life - whatever it is - no red tape.

Every couple of weeks we loose a child we know (like we did just last week). It's terrible, but it's comforting to know that we did what we could to make his/her life as nice and normal as possible while it lasted.

Good luck with your family SeymoreButts. I feel your pain.

~Bob

Great job on the website Bob. Now everyone take 2 seconds of their time and go make a post in her guestbook at the site in Bob's sig.

-sfcom

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread