Site Idea for Travel domain?
    Hey guys -
    It has been a while since I tinkered with my old travel site. I've been getting a steady $10-20 a month from banner ads but have not put any real effort into the site in years. So my question is:

Is there still money to be made in affiliate programs for travel sites?

Appreciate any insight or feedback from anybody operating a travel site!

Thanks!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomslickaff
    Hey guys -
    It has been a while since I tinkered with my old travel site. I've been getting a steady $10-20 a month from banner ads but have not put any real effort into the site in years. So my question is:

Is there still money to be made in affiliate programs for travel sites?

Appreciate any insight or feedback from anybody operating a travel site!

Thanks!
    Banner ads in general don't convert very well. Have you tried text links or reviews?

ABW Ambassador
    Tom,

That's a good question. I find that the commissions are so small now that unless you have a lot of traffic, it is not worth it. I have a couple of travel related widgets that I have set out into the world that send me $20 or $30 a month - and that is with pretty high impressions. I have tended to go off and search for the new kids on the block in terms of niches - this has paid off so far but you need to re-invent yourself every 6 months or so when everyone else figures it out too...

In my opinion this niche is heavily populated therefor tricky to gain ground in so I am sterring clear.

It sounds like your site has been around for a while so why not put a little time into and if it takes - keep going. If not, nothing lost.

Best of luck!

google adsens e cpa ads
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tomslickaff
    ...Is there still money to be made in affiliate programs for travel sites?...
    Absolutely!

It is true that there is a TON of competition for nation-wide sites and for all of the large cities where the "big boys" are spending a bundle in PPC. However, niche sites and destination specific or targeted market sites still seem to produce well.

I am currently working on a new site which was recently reviewed in the site reviews section and, coincidently, had a nice booking ($21 commish) about an hour ago. (Note that the site is not yet developed beyond the five pages I put up for review. )

A good domain name, especially if it has been around a while, if well developed should do well in the search engines. If you care to share the URL I'll be happy to take a peek (PM is OK to keep it private).

And commissions aren't really that bad. That new merchant in SAS, HotelsByCity, is offering a $10 payout on any booking. That is great for small towns where the local Econ-O-Room rents for $39 per night. On the other hand it sucks for weekend bookings on Times Square. In that case you are better off with a white-label program like WCT or IAN or IHS.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread