Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Bachelors degree that will compliment Affiliate Marketing - Suggestions??
    It took me several years but I managed to get my Associates Degree not too long ago. I'm at a crossroad of where to go from here. My Associates is in General Studies which was a mash of kinda everything and really worth only the paper it's printed on - from an income perspective.

My passion obviously is affiliate marketing, however, I do want a Bachelors Degree as a safety net in case Google slaps us offline altogether. Kidding ofcourse.

If you, knowing what you know now about affiliate marketing, and could go back to school and start over - would you choose:

A. Business Marketing
    B. Computer Science - especially if you were a not techie
    C. Communications (PR, etc)
    D. Other

Thanks for your feedback.

Marketing and Computer skills are both important. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    How about a computer science major and a marketing minor -- or vice versa. You get a bigger bang for your educational buck and potential employers will be impressed at your focus and breadth of knowledge.

I'd recommend a theology degree. You need faith that tracking is still functional in this business!
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Perhaps a visual design degree would be useful.

ABW Ambassador
    Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    I'd recommend a theology degree. You need faith that tracking is still functional in this business!
    I speak authoritatively as one who has a B.A. in Bible and theology -- you definitely need something faith-based exactly for that reason.

And also to help with that conversion experience turning those clicks into purchases. GET IT??
    Generate more fake news.

Major in Comp Sci and minor in Biz Admin, to my mind. Or the other way around, I suppose. I wouldn't say Communications is unnecessary, but compared to the other two, it's not nearly as important.

As to which way to go, I think I would major in the area where you feel you have the most aptitude or interest and minor in the other. You can get by with a minimal knowledge of one or the other, but if you can excel in one or the other that's a big advantage.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions - it really means a lot to me!

Some of you cracked me up as well - much needed today! Thank you

I'd major in Finance (or General Business) with a minor in Marketing...or vice versa. It depends on which aspects of affiliate marketing you enjoy and want to focus on.

I have a technical background, but I don't use anything I learned in university for my affiliate marketing activities. A Comp Sci degree may make you a good programmer, but it won't have much effect on making you a good affiliate marketer. Besides, it's a lot easier to outsource the techie tasks than to outsource the core business tasks.

Bachelor in Computer Science and followed by an MBA.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I wish I'd started in affiliate marketing when I was in college because I would've gotten a minor in marketing or business to compliment it.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You can teach someone with a tech degree business but its tough for a business major to get the technology. I worked manufacturing prior to marketing and learned that lesson. One company hired chemists and taught them business. They had a hard time teaching business majors chemistry.

I tell my college age daughter to go core focus with a business or accounting minor. If she doesn't make it in psychology or sociology then she can fall back to a main stream job.

I almost went with Sociology when I was in school, because it was a subject that I was good at and I felt like I wanted to teach... as soon as the desire to teach started to wear off, I switched majors because that's almost all you can do with a Sociology degree

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    You can teach someone with a tech degree business but its tough for a business major to get the technology. I worked manufacturing prior to marketing and learned that lesson. One company hired chemists and taught them business. They had a hard time teaching business majors chemistry.

I tell my college age daughter to go core focus with a business or accounting minor. If she doesn't make it in psychology or sociology then she can fall back to a main stream job.
    I agree with this.

I completed a Marketing degree while doing AM at night. I wish I did computer science either LAMP or network admin. Those guys make huge jumps when they start online projects where I need to hire someone.

If AM hits the fan you have tons of alternatives and all of them pay well. Marketing not so much. Computer Science with an MBA later doesnt sound too bad either as someone else said. GL

Really depends on where your passions are. If you love problem solving then maybe CS would make a good major, otherwise maybe just a minor. Sociology is great for understanding communities and does help in running an online community. Then there's marketing which I wish I'd studied. Can't really go wrong with any of these.

Also don't forget journalism as that would probably be great for blogging.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Online Marketing Consultant
    I'd say avoid marketing unless they offer the concentration in online marketing....the only problem with that is that when you take each test, everything will have changed.

You may want to do CS with a minor in marketing and do a heavy focus on Quantitative Methods to help schedule your time/projects/distribution and really get some of your data and sites rolling rapid.

Communications would also be a good option as it will help you to really learn to write to multiple audiences and with negotiating better deals with merchants....I have found it very useful with media planning/buying.

My marketing degrees are the biggest waste of money as I learned nothing of value in the classes even though I went to good schools. If you want to hear babble about Maslow which is just very basic common sense, then do marketing. CS or programming or J&C could really help to build a more solid foundation for your sites and your writing/communication.

Marketing is good for some things, but school will mainly teach you old, old theories and basic common sense. Accounting and Finance actually teach you things which will help you, but if you are already able to be successful as an affiliate, you know how to reach an audience and probably how to brand your sites. Go for something you don't know and you can always minor in marketing if you really want some sort of degree in it.

A quick thought in picking out a school or program for marketing is to look for one that doesn't just teach you jargon like the term reach, but teaches you reach and how to read the rate card that the term will apply to in real life.

Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Wow - you guys are awesome!

Thank you for expressing your words of wisdom.

Better than expected and VERY insightful and helpful.

Thank you all!

Update:

So I basically followed NONE of your well thought out advice. Probably because I'm part-idiot. I'm working on finishing up my BA in General Studies w/ concentration in behavioral sciences (Psych, Soc, Crim. Just.) The major itself allows supreme flexibility and pretty much ala carte courses except for 20 credits in one core focus area.

I guess what I've decided is that helping people get their life together is more of my passion and seeing lives changed for the better. That said, everyone knows there is ZERO money in the social field but other dividends can be greater rewards than $.

Had I followed the advice given here - I would've probably gone with Computer Science BA and then on to a MBA as someone mentioned after giving in thought and experience gained since first posting this thread.

Thanks again anyway for all of you and your helpful feedback - I definitely think others will gain good ground from reading this thread who are uncertain themselves which route to go educationally in relation to affiliate marketing. For those of you in that scenario I would also encourage you to look into SEMPO and Jeremy Palmer's Black Ink Project with the redundant alarm that what works today may not tommorow.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

I forgot to mention that I did sign up for a Web Development course elective I would never fully abandon affiliate marketing - I'm not that stupid.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Here's what I tell my college students ....

I usually recommend they major in Anthropology or Business with an emphasis in marketing or vice versa.

If you want to make it in the world today you need to understand human behavior and how culture works and how to persuade people to do stuff ...

However, one area I would seriously consider today is to get a degree in GLOBAL STUDIES which has some Anthroplogy in the mix, with Georgraphy, Political Science, History, Cross Cultural Communication and Economics ... back it up with a Business Administration minor, then get an MBA in marketing.

Write your own ticket at any multinational corporation or consulting firm.

With a technical degree you are just a cog in the wheel. Maybe good for a job, but not so good for running a business.

There are some new econometric studies of happiness and utility coming out of European think tanks that show in statistically revelant studies - people are most happy running their own show.

To be successful in that you have to know how to get along with people first, doing business second. You can always hire the technical skills you need.

Econ with a focus in computer science

Hey Gocolts, long time no see. I don't remember in our past conversations if we talked about which school you are going to. If you are going to IUPUI, you may want to also consider taking one of Beth Lykin's classes in the School of New Media, she has a great Seeing Sideways class that really helps to get you to think outside of the box, and a great Photoshop class. Nice electives to take!

Best of luck in your future and keep in touch!
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Kinsey
    Hey Gocolts, long time no see. I don't remember in our past conversations if we talked about which school you are going to. If you are going to IUPUI, you may want to also consider taking one of Beth Lykin's classes in the School of New Media, she has a great Seeing Sideways class that really helps to get you to think outside of the box, and a great Photoshop class. Nice electives to take!

Best of luck in your future and keep in touch!
    Thanks for the suggestions Kristin! I'll definitely check both out next semester. Work FT, School FT, AM spare time, Glutton for punishment. Mostly Web based courses however are making life a little more managable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast