Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Bon Voyage Colorado - Hello Florida
    With less than two weeks to go before we fold our tent here at Mountain Paradise and head to Ocean Paradise for the winter, two of my three sons and I got together yesterday for a winter fly fishing trip to a place called Boxwood Gulch.

Boxwood is a private stretch of water on the North Fork of the South Platte river. It is loaded with beautiful, strong rainbow, cutbow, brown and cutthroat trout. Our temperature warmed up yesterday to around 34 degrees and sunny, so it was ideal weather. Zach, my middle son, was sick and could not make it, but my oldest (Jeremy) and youngest (Nathan) were all over it.

The best part is that we were the ONLY fishermen on the river, and the fish were eager and fiesty. What a great way to say good bye to CO as Ellen and I get ready to head to Florida!! We caught and released around 60 fish ranging from 2 - 7 lbs, enjoyed a great outdoor lunch, good conversation and some good laughs. Reminds me how much I love these guys. Thought I'd share a few of the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Great pictures, Alan. You obviously had a great day with family...and the fish. Congrats on capturing and enjoying one more of those rare moments.

About to become a "SnowBird," eh? While in Florida are you still a fisherman or do you morph into a golfer?

Well, either way, Bon Voyage! ...and C'ya in Vegas.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    How come all my pics have sexy cocktail waitresses in them... and all yours have... FISH!!!!

And further, all the fish are starting to look the same. I think you carry around one dead fish in your pocket, and any time someone says "Photo Op", you whip out the fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    How come all my pics have sexy cocktail waitresses in them... and all yours have... FISH!!!!

Because fishing is cheaper!!!!

And further, all the fish are starting to look the same. I think you carry around one dead fish in your pocket, and any time someone says "Photo Op", you whip out the fish!!!
    You must have gotten a whif of me in Phoenix BK.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Yep Bill, it was one of those special warm dad & sons days. The middle son Zach is off his feet with a bad cold right now, but we caught lots for him too.

As for morphing, I morph from river trout to ocean fishing and also throw in a round of golf here and there. But we have a boat down in FL so we're on it and out fishin 4 - 5 days a week.;

I won't be in Vegas, but I'll catch ya in Boston in July!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Great pics!!!!

See you here in FL soon!

Very nice pictures of you, your sons and the pretty fish Looks like a reaaaallly nice spot to be fishing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Very nice pictures of you, your sons and the pretty fish Looks like a reaaaallly nice spot to be fishing, too.
    It's a great stretch of river and the trout really fight hard, so it's an all round super place.

Some very beautiful fish there Alan, makes my mouth water. Looks like you might have a brown trout there also with those rainbows. Nice Pics.

Yep Bob, there is a brown mixed in and also a nice brook trout (my youngest is holding it) We caught several nice browns along with a ton of rainbows and cutbows, all of which were released to swim another day.

Nice pictures, nice day, nice fish.

Ok, I'm jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    Ok, I'm jealous!
    Me too.... Totally terrific pictures!!

Have fun in FL, Alan.

Geno

From looking at the pictures it doesn't really look like you probably could, but will ask anyway. Are you able to see the fish in the water where you were fishing? I've only ever fished in a creek that was stocked by the state (Ya know where ya need a helmet to dodge all the lines bein flung over your head all at once lol ) but in most areas was able to see the fish. I always liked being able to see them. There were deep pools in spots too where you couldn't see them, but my favorite time was seeing them, then casting and watching them. lol I've never kept any of the fish I caught....always let the little fellas go back to their families. lol

Favorite time to go was a few weeks after the opening day when most people had given up trying to catch anymore and it was a lot less people and smarter fish then. Like I said, lol I liked to just watch em kinda poke their little heads at things then think to themselves.....hmmm that looks mighty tasty maybe I'll take a looksee and they'll go after it. lol or not. lol Like watching em.

Couple other questions for ya. Do you have palomino trout? Not sure if that's something just related to where I am, sorta hybrid or something just for here that the state breeds? They're not natural, or least not to that creek cos they're stocked fish. They usually are much larger and not many of em so everybody always kinda thought of them as the biggie to catch cos of it and were real light in color.

Also, where you're at do they have suckers? Not sure if they'd be called the same or not. If you'd be fishing for trout in a creek they'd be in amongst them but they're just bottom feeders and uhhh guess the Rodney Dangerfields of fish ( along with the poor little carp). lol Nobody ever liked them and don't think people ever kept em.

With a trained eye, yes, you see them in the river provided the water is not murky due to a recent rain, increased release from a dam, or spring runoff (snowcaps melting). You have to know what to look for.

In a free stone rock and / or vegetation environment, the trout blend in very well with the bottom. However, there are features and / or color patterns that can be picked up if you know what to look for. A good pair of polarized (preferably double polarized) shades are a must in order to cut through riffles, light reflections etc. A trout has a whitish under side, which when they feed on submerged pupa or larva can be spotted as they twist or turn to take the food. They also have a whitish or yellowish white stomach. Rainbows are often silvery sides with varying degrees of blood stripe on the side, and brookies have a sharp pronounced white outline on pectoral and dorsal fins that stands out. Also, the inside of the open mouth of a trout is a whitish color that can be seen when they rise with open mouth to capture their prey.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Congrats on those catches and on making such precious memories!

Safe travels to you and Ellen. Enjoy that warm weather.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Fishing is funny. Kinda like Affiliate Marketing.

Thanks boys and girls!

As it turns out, we were headed to a hockey game last night and I mentioned to Ellen that I arranged to have a jeep we don't use much here shipped down next week. That will give us two vehicles that we can leave down there. Suddenly, I turned to her and said: "hey, why are we driving down when we are going to have two cars down there?"

We were so focused on our previous plan to trailer the jeep down that when I decided to ship it I still had it in my mind that we were driving down!! Duh...

So, we're both delighted that we will now be eliminating a 2,000 mile drive and flying down on the 19th or 20th.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread