ABW Ambassador
    Does the Alexa ranking really mean anything? I just noticed that my site has gone into the top 100,000. I moved up 35,000 places.
    Who really uses the Alexa ranking? Is it good to be in the top 100,000? I am 88,000 or somewhere around there.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Alexa means absolutely nothing.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't say that. I'd say not very useful.

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

I don’t think much of Alexa ratings. I’ve got one site that has seen a steady increase in traffic as my Alexa rating have dropped off the face of the planet. Also if you read their FAQ, you’ll see that their toolbar is most popular in Asia, so you see a disproportionate number of Asian sites in the top 100. I counted about 35 from Korea and Japan give or take. I don’t have any figures to back this up, but I doubt that over a third of the most popular sites on the Internet would be in Korean or Japanese.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

Bit old but ....

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...89&r=867602689

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

True that it does not really have much meaning. It is easy to skew the results. If you have the toolbar on your computer and use that computer to update your site alot, that will change your numbers. Easy to manipulate and not an accurate measure at all.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Considering that the Alexa toolbar ranking is solely rated by individuals that have the toolbar downloaded to their browser for monitoring where they surf and ranking the sites according to surfed sites by these individuals only .. it holds very little overall "true" value. That's my opinion.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

I don't think the average web user even knows about Alexa. Too bad. If people would use the review section it could become quite valuable to service companies.

I have a site that is not released yet, and I am the ONLY one who visits it to update and i have the Alexa bar. When i started it was not ranked. now I am at 80,000.

I have been doing a lot of updating, LOL! But this is the truth about Alexa. Sadddd but true....

Actually, alexa can be an excellent indicator. Yes, it is possible to spoof it...but. I think the lower your rank the more accurate.

In fact you can do an easy check. Look at the ranking of an etailer and then look at the number of BizRate surveys in the last month. You'll find it correlates nicely. Lower ranked, many more surveys, etc.

The Merchant only wins if the Afilliate wins.

ABW Ambassador
    I think if that you - the person who owns the site and updates it - has the Alexa toolbar Uninstalled (not just turned off), it can provide a ROUGH indicator of your traffic levels when looked at over 3 months time. I've found that the Alexa rankings - once I completely removed the toolbar - more or less correlated to my traffic increases as seen in the logs. It's far from perfect, let alone precise, but it can provide a rough gauge of how your site is doing over time (ignore the day to day or week to week up and downs). At least on my site!!

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say not very useful.

If you wish to know more - you can't. "For security reasons the only ones allowed to see the profiles are affiliate managers."

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed that as my traffic increases, my Alexa rank also increases. There must be some worth. Why do people pay for the top 10,000 and the top 100,000 results?
    Yahoo.com are listed as the number 1, and MSN.com at number 2. These two sites are supposed to be the 1 and 2 aren't they?
    Alexa states that the closer you get to the number 1 position, the more accurate the results.
    I use it to see if a site is worth linking to. I use the Alexa ranking in conjunction with the Google page rank (and of course the site content and layout)

I have noticed a steady increase in the Alexa ranking for my site. This has occurred concurrently with my traffic increase. So there must be something to the Alexa ranking, even if it isn't much.

I think "broadly indicative" is the key phrase. I actually use them quite a lot when searching out link partners and checking up on business.

Let's give an example.. and no this isn't -

Marketbanker is a site where you can buy text and banner ads, typically on a fixed-cost-per-week basis. Ads range from about $5 to $400 per week. Using Alexa you can judge which sites offer decent value for money in terms of traffic. (Marketbanker is run by Pud of F'dCompany fame).

Or another one.. a merchant joins CJ or whatever with in interesting product line. A look at Alexa will give you a clue as to how many visitors they get, and basically give you a clue as the the size of the business.

I think maybe the Alexa rankings are a bit pointless when they say you're 86,123rd as opposed to 86,124th. It might be better to look at these in terms of top 10, top 1000, top 10,0000, top 500,000 etc.

The reviews *can* be quite good to. Check out my old friend topsites.us

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that 88,000 is looking pretty good. Well done

________

ABW Ambassador
    One of my sites was bouncing around the 300k's until I installed the bar a couple weeks ago & now it's around 150k w/ only moderate updates & occasionally checking the message board... I'd say that it can be an indicator that something has happened to a site. I'll check out my competitors every so often & when they fall off the radar, or they have a big jump, I'll look to see what they're doing right/wrong...so that can be useful...of course, it could also just mean that someone who frequents that site installed, or uninstalled, the alexa bar..

FreeCallz.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say that 88,000 is looking pretty good. Well done <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you A lot of my success has been as a result of frequenting this forum

Although being in the top 100,000 sites is enough. Anyone can bang up thousands and thousands of pages to create the illusion that the site is incredibly popular. Even though it might be crap.
    There is a lot more to affiliate marketing than how many visitors you get. There is no point getting 1,000 visitors per day if your site is crap, and nobody clicks on any of your links.

For any newbies out there, you will learn more on this forum, than you will know what to do with but there are also people on here who will help you if you need it

I think Alexa is a useful tool. My site is in the 25,000 range so hits there are more relevant and less influenced by my surfing. I also use to to check out the competition especially if they are sub 50,000 as again the results have more relevancy.

The thing I do like and Dynamoo also made the comment, is that I can research affilate sites not listed on CJ. In fact I found two today - one offers 20% more commission than the major web leader and 30 days cookie as opposed to a whole 24 hours - even better not yet exposed to parasites etc.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

ABW Ambassador
    This has been talked about in other forums and traffic rank means nothing. My traffic slowly increases each month. In January my traffic rank was 55,000, now its 245,000. Yet i'm getting twice as many site visitors. So moving up to top 100,000 really means nothing. CJshoppingnetwork as a test please post your future Alexa ranking and you'll see what i mean. I bet your site traffic will go up which you can check with your site stats which is the stats that count. And your alexa traffic rank will bounce all over the place. Alexa is fun to look at now and then and check out some competition, but there stats are some of the most flawed around.

As a test lets compare stats
    Hom many visitors based on your stats do you get a day to receive a traffic rank of 88,000?

I checked for one of my sites and these are the results:

In January i was getting 1500 uniques a day and had an Alexa Traffic rank of 55,000

Now get about 3000 uniques a day and have an Alexa Traffic rank of 245,000

See, flawed.

Some will use Alexa as a way to see how they're doing. I just use my own site stats and my balance to see how i'm doing, thats a lot more accurate.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on May 15, 2003 at 01:08 PM.]

Flawed? Well, yes, but I don't know of another service like it.

I have several different themed sites, and the Alexa rankings do broadly go up and down with the actual site traffic.

What tends to have the biggest impact is visitor demographics and the fact that different types of visitor tend to install different things.. for instance, I have a humor site and a pet site. The pet site gets four times the traffic of the humor site, yet is consistently ranked much lower than the humor site.

So in other words, it's probably more accurate when comparing sites with similar visitor demographics. So comparing humor sites with humor sites is probably going to give you a better idea of how the competition or potential link partners are shaping up.

________

I have a site that used to be at 9,000 to 12,000 alexa rank. Then I optimized the dynamic links for the search engines and the ranking went up to 2,000; at that time, i was getting around 30,000 uniques a day. But google spiders were crashing my site too often, whenever they come to deep crawl, almost every 15 to 30 mintues. so I took out some of the optimization that I did. Now, Alexa ranking is in the 15,000 range; and my real traffic is really down to 12,000 uniques a day.

So the Alexa traffic does correspond to the traffic you are getting.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Let's give an example.. and no this isn't -

http://www.marketbanker.com/mb/buy_links.php is a site where you can buy text and banner ads, typically on a fixed-cost-per-week basis. Ads range from about $5 to $400 per week. Using Alexa you can judge which sites offer decent value for money in terms of traffic. (Marketbanker is run by Pud of F'dCompany fame).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting:

MarketBanker is growing fast and has recently completed deals with advertisers including Overstock.com, and websites including the most-excellent Friendster. MarketBanker has more than $1,500 PER DAY to payout to webmasters, but the problem (hence the ****) is there aren't enough sites signed up to spend it all. If you run a website and want a piece of the $$$, go to MarketBanker and click "Sell links". (and oh yeah...new PudTV update today, click here for naked FC girls...)
    When: 5/12/2003
    Company: MarketBanker
    Severity: 5
    256 comments in the Happy Fun Slander Corner!

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

I’m interested to see what you guys think of Amazon.com taking over alexa?
    To me it seems like a data mining exercise to profile consumer/amazon shopper habits. I can also see the advantages to Amazon with the search results linking to their site.
    You can find some interesting info here.
    http://pages.alexa.com/help/privacy.html

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread