Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    The Land of Nod now with Upromise
    Listed under "T" as a new company, offering 3%

upromise.com/viewAllCompaniesAlpha.do#online

There was a thread entitled "Upromise Clean?" in this forum, but I haven't paid any attention about them since.

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

What's the latest, OK for a merchant now or not?
    Last edited by webworker; January 5th, 2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: wrong link

ABW Ambassador
    Online Merchants

If your business is an Online Merchant where your customers can buy items directly from your website, you may participate in the Upromise program if your website is in one of the following Affiliate Merchant networks.

Commission Junction
    LinkShare
    Performics

If you participate in one of the above networks, please contact your account manager and let them know you'd like to participate in the Upromise program. Upromise charges a $4,000 integration fee to join our online mall through one of these programs. If you're not already in an affiliate network, you may join one by clicking on a link above.
    Land of Nod is listed as a Shareasale Exclusive Merchant. So according to what it says on the Upromise site about participating only through one of those, something isn't lining up right.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    It's a CJ link. Apparently they have a private program at CJ for parasites.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's the FAQ about their toolbar

upromise.com/8106.5.do#toolbar

Interesting, the part about redirection to the merchants' homepage. Makes ya wonder about threads about links on other networks going to homepages instead of product pages because of "glitches."

private program at CJ for parasites.
    I wish I understood what good that would do them (which I don't), or what kind of bill of goods someone might have sold them, but it sounds crazy to me. They've been doing SO well with what they've had going 'til now.
    Last edited by webworker; January 6th, 2008 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    It's a CJ link. Apparently they have a private program at CJ for parasites.
    I must admit, I don't know too much about the whole parasite thing, I just try not to sign up with programs that do this - wouldn't this still hurt those of us promoting them on SAS?

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I did a little bit of digging, including some whois checks. Seems (from a small link on the "about" page on their site) that they're the same outfit as Crate & Barrel. Also, doing a little further snooping around the whois, it looks like Crate & Barrel (et al) is a DBA for Euromarket Design

Registrant:
    Euromarket Design, Inc. DBA Crate and Barrel
    725 Landwehr Rd.
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    Same town as Land of Nod contact party in their whois.

Well, if you do a Google search for them and surf around their website some, you can see "profiles" (aka selling text links? or perhaps a partial stable of backlinks for their clientele?) for some very big names around the *big* networks whose merchants are known to be crawling with cooties, and who can be found listed as merchants on many (if not most) of the parasites' websites around.

Thank you Scoots, when I posted I was hoping you would shed some light, and you didn't disappoint. Based on what you've shared, it's dawning on me that there must be some kind of a "group discount" operating.

Sheesh, wouldn't it be nice if there was one clean merchant in that group, operating on a clean network.

But if this trail followed happens to be correct, which it may or may not be, know what it's kind of telling, or hinting at? That SAS is a dynamite resource for certain verticals and demographics, which is saying a lot for the type of clean affiliates that SAS attracts.

At any rate, Land of Nod is on that list so there's no doubt about that, and they are connected with C&B, it says so right on their site. FWIW
    Last edited by webworker; January 7th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalamoon
    I must admit, I don't know too much about the whole parasite thing, I just try not to sign up with programs that do this - wouldn't this still hurt those of us promoting them on SAS?
    I have no recollection of how uPromise works, but I'm trying to wrap my head around this as it might relate:

How Adware Works

That's talking about how Zango works, but I'm trying to understand what could happen if they're not actually visibly signed up with CJ. Guess it's time to read that uPromise Clean? thread again, for a refresher.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I have no recollection of how uPromise works
    According to Upromise (2008) "Savvy Upromise members with the "RemindU" toolbar save an average of 5 TIMES more than other members."

The commissions from these sales with the "RemindU" toolbar are stolen from Merchants and Affiliates.

To see how the "RemindU" toolbar works check this video made Nov 2005 by Kellie
    http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/up...092005.swf.html
    What happened: (Kellie speaking, Nov 2005)

"I intentionally installed UPromise from the member area of their web site.
    1. I did a direct type-in to payless.com
    2. I was taken to the Payless web site.
    3. Once there, RemindU redirected me to a page on the UPromise web site. I had several options of things I could do on that page.
    4. One of the choices is "Continue shopping without receiving college savings" I'm explicitly told that if I make this choice I will not receive any type of college savings.
    5. I click to continue shopping without receiving college savings
    6. I am redirected back to the Payless web site through UPromise's BF affiliate link (see BF servers being accessed in the browser status bar) setting their tracking code (see the BF cookie being set) and they would receive an affiliate commission if I had made a purchase."

Now you can check yourself how the "Land of Nod" "Upromise" relationship works.
    http://shop.upromise.com/merchantin...olmid=LONODX001
    Even if you are working with Shareasale and the "Land of Nod" "Upromise" relationship is thru CJ, the last cookie will be set by CJ for Upromise and your sale on SaS will be voided or the merchant will have to pay twice the commission.

And never forget these Parasites loving OPM "PepperJam" who pushed affiliates to join the Upromise affiliate program to spread the disease a little further.
    pepperjamsearch.com/clients.html
    They are so proud of them.
    pepperjamblog.com/2007/07/16/valueclick-acquires-super-affiliate-mezimedia-for-up-to-352-million/

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Seems somebody at Land of Nod has dozed off to sleep...
    They're in MyPoints as well.
    Bet there's more to come.
    And that the CJ team is putting them into the full BHO pipeline.

They have tight ppc terms at SAS, so it's amazing they'd tolerate the automatic cookie setting these BHOs do "for" them.

SAS needs to test whether these things affect SAS sales and if so, immediately remove their exclusive status and explain things to them.

I don't see Crate and Barrel appreciating the stealing of their Land of Nod's revenue since, to my knowledge, they're not in the BHO quagmire.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Shame. Nice merchant so far.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

This comes as a big surprise especially after Think Tank. I really thought they were better than this. Were they not listening to the affiliates and OPM's/AM's?

It is a shame that Land of Nod has decided to go this way.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    This comes as a big surprise especially after Think Tank. I really thought they were better than this. Were they not listening to the affiliates and OPM's/AM's? ...
    Absolutely a surprise. I'm sure most of us thought they were better than this.

Just checked and it appears they are no longer listed as a ShareASale Exclusive Merchant. At least that designation is gone. Should there now be a designation warning people of the dark-side persona "within" the organization?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Now that CJ has put them in all the parasites, they're ready to unleash them to the rest of us... they're listed as a New Merchant in CJ as of today

re: Think Tank - I feel betrayed

15 years and counting
    I saw The Land of Nod on CJ this morning. Listed now with eBates as well with a 4% Cash Back.
    Disgusting.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

re: Think Tank - I feel betrayed
    Me too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    SAS no longer shows them as an exclusive SAS merchant, so that's updated.

I'm dropping them since they feel free to give away my return days to cheaters.

The other thread about their links changing recently must have been them installing a switch to detect which network was the "last-in" affiliate - so that BHOs can screw us with a level of automation that should keep LON uninformed, ignorant and getting screwed by CJ and their hoodlum software theives. Their reported "sales" will look great though and they'll believe software poppers are doing great things for them, it's really idiotic. CJ knows the beauty of it all is that LON will think things are going gangbusters... shame on CJ, years of bad karma like this will come back around to sting you once people realize you knew all along that you were f&*^$% your clients.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Ouch, too bad. What's really disappointing is the list of merchants these sites have. It is so, so long. Probably the most discouraging thing about affiliate marketing is the uphill battle a fair affiliate has to fight, every day, and it's been like this for years.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Internet Cowboy
    Yep. They don't allow any bidding on "LandofNod.com Reviews", "LandofNod.com Coupon" or anything like that (which is fine with me) yet they will allow adware to pop and automatically set a cookie when the customer arrives on their site or in their shopping cart.
    This shows me that they simply have no clue what is really going on and have been sold a bill of goods (goods = bullshoot) by CJ.
    I said at one time that this was one of the up and coming strong, well-run affiliate programs. That is not the case anymore. They are just another merchant that thinks using short cuts will help them gain customers and they could not be more wrong, but if you question them on it, they run to CJ for answers and are told what they want to hear.
    It is a shame. They have such a strong mix of products and such a strong site. A real shame.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; February 8th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.

15 years and counting
    Donuts - I'm dropping them since they feel free to give away my return days to cheaters.
    I removed all my links to them. These people don't deserve anymore our time and dedication.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm done with them as well.

I wonder if anyone from their company dares to post on this thread and justify their strategy. It really is one of the most deceptive I've seen outlined in a long time. Thank you to everyone who helped out them.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Has anybody tried to contact them?

Sometimes we take for granted that because the merchant is on Shareasale that they already know of these things. It could have just been that SAS was the most affordable option, and they never knew about parasites. We didn't educate them at Think Tank, because we didn't think we had to - they were already on SAS.

Internet Cowboy
    Yes, Michael. They have been contacted. I traded a few emails with Alexis regarding UPromise setting the cookie when the user clicks "No, I do not want to save for college with this purchase". She told me she contacted them and was told they no longer do this. But, they are not shy about doing the same thing here. To be fair...on this page they are sending the user to their web site so a cookie set is in order, but I'll bet you that if I loaded the UP BHO this functionality is still there.
    I really hate to beat on them too hard because Alexis was so nice at Think Tank and their company really seems to be smart and very aware of the pitfalls in the affiliate marketing space, but they have really been sold on the idea that adware is the way to go. I think it is a result of their relationship with Crate and Barrel.
    I am not removing their links because my customers like their web site, but I would be a LOT more active in their program if it were not just another program where I might or might not get screwed out of my commissions.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Yes, Michael. They have been contacted. I traded a few emails with Alexis regarding UPromise setting the cookie when the user clicks "No, I do not want to save for college with this purchase". She told me she contacted them and this is no longer the issue. But, they are not shy about doing the same thing here.
    I really hate to beat on them too hard because Alexis was so nice at Think Tank and their company really seems to be smart and very aware of the pitfalls in the affiliate marketing space, but they have really been sold on the idea that adware is the way to go. I think it is a result of their relationship with Crate and Barrel.
    I am not remiving their links, but I would be a LOT more active in their program if it were not just another program where I might or might not get screwed out of my commissions.
    What did they say regarding the cookie washing that occurs? Or the direct type in sales that become commissionable? Or the fact that they're paying double on their Adwords spend?

Internet Cowboy
    Please email me with further questions Michael. I will not post the content of our discussion here or anywhere else. Frankly, I don't think it would do any good anyway. Their mind seems to be made up. Now they are thousands and thousands of dollars deep in setting up on CJ, so if they admit that it was a mistake they would essentially admit that the money they have spent there is wasted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast