Question Are datafeeds decent money makers?
    I had some poor results last year with a software download site, using a datafeed of software programs that I was affiliated with. I've abandoned that site since then, but am considering using a datafeed for a different site that focuses on cell phones and accessories.

Would love to hear from those of you who have tried datafeeds:

Have any of you found datafeeds worth the time you put in to get them set up?

Are your datafeeds making more than say $100 a month? more than $1000 a month?

What kinds of things have made your datafeed(s) work well for you?

Datafeeds are great, but you need to be very focused and exhaustive in how you use them. You can't just use every product in every feed. The best way to go is to pick a very specific niche and pull that category out of 20-30 different feeds. For example you can take the MP3 Player category out of at least 30 feeds and build a price comparison. The trick is to use only what you need and to stay focused. It's also important to be exhaustive and include every single merchant in your niche. And lastly, daily updates are very important for maintaining accurate prices and fresh content.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Remember that no matter what you do to your site, someone will think it's an improvement--and, someone else will think you wrecked it. Decide which type of people you're going to go after and don't worry about the fact that there are always some others who'll wish you: Showed/didn't show prices, pictures, carried Brand X or didn't, have coupons or don't, highlight new merchants or just stick to old standbys...etc. etc. etc.

There are a LOT of ways to use a feed and no, none of them are "musts" nor "can'ts." Just learn to live with the fact that there is no one site (or kind of site) that 100% of the market will like.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You can't just use every product in every feed.
    Case in point. Amazon.com, BizRate and the like have a message in response to that assertion, to wit: "LOL" and "of course you can!"

There are times you might not *want* to literally use every feed, though. For instance some feeds are junk, and there are some merchants that don't deserve promotion.

It's also important to be exhaustive and include every single merchant in your niche. And lastly, daily updates are very important for maintaining accurate prices and fresh content.
    Counterpoint: I find it important to NOT include any merchants who are losers. There's no need to have some junker that pays 1/2-normal commissions, or can't convert, doesn't track, or otherwise sucks, on a site. It's like putting a leak on your own site to use a dud merchant, regardless of the size/brand of said merchant.

As for the daily updates, blargh--the customers want to know what something costs on one of my aff sites? They've gotta click the link (and go to the merchant site, and get a cookie). If they're not interested enough to do that, they're not ready to buy so they can just wonder until they ARE interested enough to click it.

And fresh content from updating? Maybe, IF the merchant itself has done any updates! Usually they leave their spin (aka "product descriptions") the same, upload after upload, year after year. A "fresh" copy of old shite still = old shite. Updating is much better for making sure your site's promoting stuff that's actually in stock, than for actual new content. Even that purpose can be stymied by merchants who keep on leaving stuff in their feed that they're actually sold out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Case in point. Amazon.com, BizRate and the like have a message in response to that assertion, to wit: "LOL" and "of course you can!"
    Sure if you've got the resources, but I'm addressing an affiliate audience. I don't think any affiliate can compete effectively with the hundreds of employees of BizRate or Amazon. As a single individual or small company its definitely easier to focus on a specific niche and gradually expand as you hire more employees. To counter your example consider Amazon started off only selling books.

Counter I find it important to NOT include any merchants who are losers. There's no need to have some junker that pays 1/2-normal commissions, or can't convert, doesn't track, or otherwise sucks, on a site. It's like putting a leak on your own site to use a dud merchant, regardless of the size/brand of said merchant.
    Commission rates have no bearing on consumer demand. If it's a strong brand consumers will shop there. As a service provider I need to give my customers what they want regardless of what I earn. Even if it means listing links to merchants without affiliate programs. I do agree that there is no point in listing a merchant that doesn't convert or track though.

As for the daily updates, blargh--the customers want to know what something costs on one of my aff sites? They've gotta click the link (and go to the merchant site, and get a cookie). If they're not interested enough to do that, they're not ready to buy so they can just wonder until they ARE interested enough to click it.
    What if 50 merchants carry the same item? I'm not going to have my customers click each of the 50 links to check the prices. This only works for one of a kind items that only a single merchant carries.

We've also got to consider that this is a highly competitive industry and regularly updated prices gives us an edge. The spiders like to see our pages change even if the only change was a price. Having more than one price for each product also increases the value to the customer and increases the chance for a conversion.

And fresh content from updating? Maybe, IF the merchant itself has done any updates! Usually they leave their spin (aka "product descriptions") the same, upload after upload, year after year. A "fresh" copy of old shite still = old shite. Updating is much better for making sure your site's promoting stuff that's actually in stock, than for actual new content. Even that purpose can be stymied by merchants who keep on leaving stuff in their feed that they're actually sold out of.
    How about the new products? There's new clothing lines, shoe styles, electronics models, movies, CDs and books every day of every year. If you're quick enough you might rank before any other site and get those juicy "first on the block" customers.

- Scott

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Good points Snib!! Very well laid out and educational. Good work young man!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Snib & Leader,

I have a question about two of my merchants that list item status as on back order.
    In my own opion, I feel it best to filter these out.
    I don't feel that a customer would click on an item that is on backorder.
    So I don't show these. Is my thinking here correct, since I can't display a time
    line as too how long?

Asking what's your opions on this?

Just my 2

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I personally list them myself. You never know if they might not buy a similar item.

ATTENTION ALL NEWBIES OUT THERE:

You'll find few things here more educational (and downright FUN) than an extended exchange on site building/marketing/datafeeds/whatever between Leader and Snib. Pay close attention and take lots of notes.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I had some poor results last year with a software download site, using a datafeed of software programs that I was affiliated with. I've abandoned that site since then, but am considering using a datafeed for a different site that focuses on cell phones and accessories.
    Normally software merchant pay more than 30% commission. Some merchants pay 85% commission. If conversion rate is good. That's good money. I have a friend, makes software and sale online. His life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Have any of you found datafeeds worth the time you put in to get them set up?

Are your datafeeds making more than say $100 a month? more than $1000 a month?
    Extremely worthwhile and if I made less than $1000/mo with datafeeds I wouldn't have been sustained for the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Good points Snib!! Very well laid out and educational. Good work young man!
    Thanks Alan, glad to help!

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-pcmall.com
    I have a question about two of my merchants that list item status as on back order.
    In my own opion, I feel it best to filter these out.
    I don't feel that a customer would click on an item that is on backorder.
    So I don't show these. Is my thinking here correct, since I can't display a time
    line as too how long?
    I don't display them when I can, but some merchants don't even include a flag. I don't want to upset customers by sending them to a backordered item if I can control it.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Leader and Snib have great points.
    If one uses them in the correct context - you will come back here to thank them for this discussions

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread