Bloggers that use Dreamhost and Wordpress
    I tried writing a blog entry today and got an error message that my either my server couldn't be found or my 'net connection was down. My connection is fine, and I verified my server was up and that Wordpress' xmlrpc.php file was live.

Dreamhost updated PHP to 5.2.2, which introduces a show-stopping bug. I *think* this is what is affecting me. To quote their Wiki entry:

Broken Blogging Software

Such as Ecto, MarsEdit, TextMate Blogging Bundle, and Windows Live Writer Beta 2

DreamHost recently updated its version of PHP to 5.2.2, which introduces a bug -> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=41293

Until an unbroken version of PHP is installed, the fix is to add the following line to the top of the file xmlrpc.php, found in the root of your WordPress install:

$HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA = file_get_contents("php://input");

-------------

I use ecto. The problem for me is that this "fix" isn't working. Nobody is talking about it in DH's forums, so I figured I'd ask here if any bloggers on Dreamhost are able to use their blogging clients and if there was anything that needed to be done to get it working.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    That could break a lot of other user scripts also, on all sites. There are some major differences They could have added a PHP 5 upgrade and still left PHP 4 functional.

FastNext has both PHP4 and PHP5 available and functioning, so other hosts can also.

I also use Dreamhost and haven't encountered any problems with my wordpress blog.

I just wrote a new blog and posted it without a problem. I am still using PHP 4.4.7 though.

Also, Wordpress has an upgrade available (version 2.3.2) which I installed before I posted to my blog.

I don't know if I said anything that helps. I am not really a "techie" - LOL!!

Well, I've got an update... and it's a weird one.

I got errors from one domain, but not others, so I tried a few things. I tried replacing the xmlrpc.php file from the non-working domain with a copy from a working domain. That didn't do anything.

I tried updating PHP - I'd not realized that my non-working domain was on PHP 4.7.7, so - even in the face of the aforementioned bug - I updated to PHP 5.2.2. I was told by someone that she'd been uploading to her blog all day, and it was on 5.2.2, so I figured what the heck. Now, here's the weird part.

Right after I did the update of PHP, I tested and it didn't work - but I was also told that it can take some time for the change to take effect. I was going to wait about 15 minutes and try again, but right then, my connection went down. I reset my router (this happens at least once a week), and when I tried again, it worked - I was able to upload to my blog from my client.

So, what was the solution - was it upgrading to PHP 5.2.2 or was there a glitch in my router that was fixed when it got reset? Your guess is as good as mine

Very strange. Glad you got it fixed!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread