Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Meet Market Preparation
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a Q&A thread for any first time exhibitors.

We're going to have a table at AS this year and I'm running into a few problems as I start my preparation.

We're going to have handouts/flyers of course. Roughly how many should we print? Obviously it will vary from table to table but a general idea would be great.

Thanks

Bob

Online Marketing Consultant
    hi Bob, just left ya a voice mail.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Online Marketing Consultant
    One thing not to forget is a unique and fun giveaway....I have a friend Ken at API source who I have ordered from for years and he is absolutely wonderful.

That is where I got the photo holders and blinking stars from TT and Summit East as well as the pins from Summit West last year and the dartmen from CJU 1 or 2 times ago.

Get in contact with me and I'll hook you up with him and no I do not make a commission or get anything from it,,,,he's just a friend and a supplier/brander I trust.

Other good giveaways if possible are products from your store or free subscriptions to your services.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Hey Bob,

I used to bring a ton of flyers and stuff, but then ended up carrying around to much stuff. You'll see piles of flyers stacking up on tables by the water coolers.

But i do see people grabbing them, so it is a way to get noticed.

Affiliate summit's blog has a printer coupon for 20% off at psprint its "Affiliate08"

take care,

-B
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I'll send you my eye ion in case you're giving contact lens samples

If you DO have a giveaway... avoid logo pens. One, they make you look cheap and two, when we empty out our giant bag(s) of goodies on the floor, the hundreds of free pens get tossed in the trash before the flight home.

Logo post-it notes keeps you in our minds - until they run out.

Cool logo toys are ok - gets people to you - but after summit, we give them to our kids, who don't do affiliate marketing.

Shareasale has logo glasses. I think of them every time I go into my cupboard for a glass.

Affiliate Manager
    Adam -

Thanks for the call...I'll hit you up after 3EST. We already have our freebies together I believe but may look into more.

Pingo -

Good call on the flyers. I remember dropping a few along the way last year myself. Maybe I'll scale back on the number we print.

Billy -

Great tips on the freebies. We weren't going to do pens, post-its etc but you may want to bring your script just in case

Bring plenty of business cards, but I wouldn't recommend many flyers (unless you have something on there offering increased commissions or other special offers). I know I always go through my stuff before I head home and trash anything I don't want to keep. Flyers and pens are usually at the top of the "trash" list.

Definitely do both a giveaway and a drawing for a larger prize. You'll be able to collect a lot of business cards with the drawing and you'll get people to take your cards when you have a giveaway. The more creative and the closer it's tied to your product, the better the giveaway will be.

For you, perhaps personalized eye drops might be a good giveaway? With the dry climate in Vegas, many would probably find use for it and it would help them think of you for weeks or months. If that doesn't work, maybe personalized contact cases?

Giveaways for kids are always hot, too, because many of us have kids.

Another good giveaway is a nice, large bag. People need something to put their other giveaways in, and it'll get your name out there really good.

Some ideas for drawings: a Wii, a nice photo frame, gift certificates for your products, a PS3, iPod players, etc.

Don't forget a fishbowl or something to collect cards in.

Don't forget to follow up after the conference, offering those you're not yet working with higher commissions or a nice bonus to get links up and those you do work with custom coupons, higher commissions, datafeed info, or whatever else you determine will help them produce more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I have to second Michael's mention of a fishbowl or other card collection bin at your booth. At these meet markets, I think even more than during the conference hall itself, people often just walk by and take/drop off their business cards quickly, pick up any swag you have, and go on their way. I've noticed that at the meet markets it is more of a "driveby" experience where many people who attend it think its a quick cruise through the tables and a chance for them to pick up business cards and review them later.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hmmm... sound like the Big Money is in bringing extra fishbowls... that I can resell at a significant markup!!

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Hmmm... sound like the Big Money is in bringing extra fishbowls... that I can resell at a significant markup!!
    Don't underestimate the fishbowl market. We forgot to bring one when we exhibited a couple months back at ad:tech, and spent over an hour walking around NYC in vain trying to get one.

If a fishbowl peddler came by the booth, I would have gladly paid a handsome mark-up.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

It sometimes helps to have something to grab the attention of those passing by. Last Meet Market in Miami I put on a really catchy scrub top with monkeys all over it to help promote my uniform merchant (thank goodness I don't promote a thong mercant!)

This makes me think back to a Visine commercial (I think) where they had a big eye made form a beach ball that was blood shot. Perhaps you can get some large beachball eyeballs to give a way with your affiliate URL on them. Just a thought, but I think you see where I'm headed.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I'm planning on doing Boston and we are designing a mouse pad with an underwater scene and another with assorted pets.

Shawn how many items should a merchant bring?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    I'm planning on doing Boston and we are designing a mouse pad with an underwater scene and another with assorted pets....
    Yaaay! Mouse pads are good. I use them as landing pads for my RC Helicopters.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    ...something to grab the attention of those passing by...
    Seriously, it needs to be something to command enough attention to get us publishers to stop, take a look, and (maybe) start a conversation. The rest is up to YOU.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Yaaay! Mouse pads are good. I use them as landing pads for my RC Helicopters.
    You can actually land yours on a mousepad? My son and I got a couple 3 channel copters and mostly we seem to "land" them on their side, tail rotor, nose and typically each time we "land" parts break and/or go flying off.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    You can actually land yours on a mousepad? My son and I got a couple 3 channel copters and mostly we seem to "land" them on their side, tail rotor, nose and typically each time we "land" parts break and/or go flying off.
    Yeah, I've actually gotten quite good (since last September) with my first heli, a Blade CX2 - but that's cheating because it's a coaxial. I am learning, however, on a Blade CP-Pro and a Falcon 3D. But, I do know about all of those "broken parts" and rebuilding sessions and $$$ spent.

I would love to find a "serious" hobby merchant. I have been searching, but to no avail. Hmmmm...they could put on flight demos as a way to attract attention at the Meet Market.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

One comment about the Meet Market.

You can have the coolest give aways ever, but, if the people manning the table sit back on chairs behind it, with their arms crossed and talking to eachother or simply ignoring the people walking by ... well ... the rest of us will be happy to collect the toys but you won't be getting a good return on all that time and money.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular ... but I do remember some tables like that in Miami.

You are there to sell your program(s) to us and encourage us to place you at the top of our to-do lists. So ... smile ... chat ... look happy to see everyone ...

And have really, really, really cool, original toys

Sue.

Several merchants also bring tons of their own products to put on display and gave them all away towards the end of the Meet Market. Dale (TFAW) is always really good at this. If you have unique products or things that people might not be familiar with or software or consumables or food, this can be very effective.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Purpose: get them to stop by the table instead of walking by. Give then a reason and don't rely on just your good looks. Mints, Gum, Breath Spray Samples or goold ole Hershey Chocolate Bars have worked for me. Their guilt for taking something for free will make them feel like that they have to listen to your pitch. Gift Basket Drawings via business card in fishbowl has also worked to get leads but does not get them to actually stay and chat. Looking around my desk I do notice I still have a Share A Sale pen, a letter opener, some post it notes but I do remember eventually throwing away all the stuff I tried to pawn off on my kids to relieve my guilt of being away from them

One way to ensure I don't do business with you is to send out flattery reps who compliment me on my clothing and sell me on niches you don't cover to bring me back to your table to talk to another clueless rep.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I still remember the chocolate cupcakes with blue frosting at the Revenue booth at ASW07, and that's a year back.

The cupcakes also appeared on the cover of the same issue of the mag. So that's pretty powerful branding I think.

---

Depends on your purpose.

If you want to have mindshare, something like a USB cool coffee cup warmer or cooling fan will be something we'd use every day, as well as a thumbdrive, and they're so small, they'd be easy to keep.

I already get bunches of stuff sent to my office address, so something that stands out will likely make the cut.

Stuff like frisbees and koosh balls might have novelty value, but I've tended to chuck them away, especially when the luggage is exploding and overweight.

I agree on the branded pens - we've done it before and it simply wasn't an effective approach. I love the idea of a giveaway - this is MDC's first year at the summit and we plan on giving away a free ipod or itouch (one or the other). Maybe even a few complimentary magazine subscriptions to any magazine valued at under $25.00.

I love the post-it's concept that's something that we are toying around with...where do you order these?

Does anybody have any good places to order these fishbowls? That's a weird thing to carry on board.

We're printing out around 2,000 fliers and trying to iron out the bonus by signing up with the coupon printed on the packet - that's a solid draw.

But at the end of the day, if your booth is cold and uninviting - giving away a penthouse in NYC couldn't do the trick (well, that's clearly pushing it but you get the idea).

We may be buying these squishy penguins with our logo on it - strictly to release some affiliate / merchant tension.

If anybody needs a company that really has a knack for convention toys, etc - I'd contact Karyl Krugley of Walking Billboard Promotions: Karyl@wbpromos.com - she's been helping us out for a long time - very reliable and cost effective.

Best,

RA
    Ryan Alovis
    [URL=http://www.magazinediscountcenter.com]MagazineDiscountCenter.com[/URL]
    Affiliate Manager
    Ryan@arknetmedia.com
    1.800.898.5367 X8282

Giving out Free copies of Penthouse should definitley drive some guys (and some really cool girls) to your booth!

OOOPS - just re-read....not that kind of Penthouse...

We're working on it now - but MDC may be giving away to 10 people - a year magazine subscription (of their choice or of a list of magazines).

Is that catchy enough? Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks!

And we've got these really funky stress reliever penguins - I think that's fun too.
    Ryan Alovis
    Affiliate Manager
    Ryan@arknetmedia.com
    1.800.898.5367 X8282

I know this is last minute but we are deciding today how many MDC Affiliate Benefit Pages to print out and give away. Does anybody have an idea as to the right number? 200? 400? 600?
    Ryan Alovis
    Affiliate Manager
    Ryan@arknetmedia.com
    1.800.898.5367 X8282

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    One comment about the Meet Market.

You can have the coolest give aways ever, but, if the people manning the table sit back on chairs behind it, with their arms crossed and talking to eachother or simply ignoring the people walking by ... well ... the rest of us will be happy to collect the toys but you won't be getting a good return on all that time and money.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular ... but I do remember some tables like that in Miami.

You are there to sell your program(s) to us and encourage us to place you at the top of our to-do lists. So ... smile ... chat ... look happy to see everyone ...

And have really, really, really cool, original toys

Sue.
    Sue,

I went through this thread and your post caught my attention.
    I totally agree with you.

I will be happy to meet with you and show you my product.

Send me an email (check my profile) if you are interesting.
    I will be in vegas starting from Friday night.

You can check my profile at the AS website.

Cheers,
    Shay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast