ABW Ambassador
    I would like to know if people believe that Webmerge is worth the $79 that it costs? (do ABW members get a discount?)
    I know that Scripts4yoursite offer scripts to handle datafeeds, but they are $100 each (I vaguely remember seeing that they cost $50 for ABW members, but I may be wrong)
    However, even $50 a time can work out to be very expensive.
    I am a programmer deep down (very deep), and I would love to be able to code myself, and I will learn.
    However, I would like to know if Webmerge is good enough to handle all types of datafeeds.
    I have used the demo, and can create good looking pages for the Mondera datafeeds that I can get.
    I would much rather do it myself, but that is going to take quite a bit of time. I don't want to buy the scripts. So Webmerge seems a good alternative.
    Does anyone have any advice? Is Webmerge really worth it? $79 isn't a lot of money if I can generate static pages from datafeeds

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

[WM-Field: WebMergeRocks!]

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's well worth it I think and I don't even have any pages from it online yet.

What is the difference between using Webmerge or Scripts4yoursite when the latter has a script for the merchant you wish to set up a datafeed site for? Put another way, what do you get with a Scripts4yoursite script that you don't get with Webmerge?

Which is the easiest/best for a non-tech savvy person to use and why?

I am fairly proficient in MS Access, but not proficient installing scripts or designing templates.

Any advice for how to start with datafeeds?

Susan

ABW Ambassador
    Susan
    I dont use either, but the difference is - scriptsforyoursite - you have to buy a different script for each merchant. Webmerge - one software works with nearly all merchants therefore much cheaper.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Thanks, Andy

That much I knew.

But there must be some advantage to scripts4yoursite that takes some steps out of the process or automates something.

I'm guessing that Webmerge requires more effort and that scripts4yoursite already have a lot of the work done for you that you'd have to do yourself with Webmerge. But I'm curious to know what that is, to try to figure out if it saves me in an area that I don't have skills.

Anyone else?

Susan

Yes, scripts3yoursite is easy, but not flexible. Webmerge can be used for making small sites from datafeeds easily, or larger ones with more effort. It is not as easy.

I have webmerge. It takes a while to learn the program. Until I have it down I will still buy scripts from Scripts4yoursite. The reasoning is this. (BTW, $100 for first script $25 each script thereafter) I can spend alot of time learning webmerge and not get a site up until I have WM down or I can put up a site for about $33.95 in a day. ($25 for script, $8.95 for domain and hosting is on THMedias plan 7 so I pay a flat rate no matter how many sites I have up) It all depends on what you think your time is worth.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

I'd say both have their own unique advantages not related to the purchasing expense. With Scripts4yoursite, you get a dynamic site that can be updated in a matter of a minute by simply replacing the database with a new one. With WebMerge, you'd have to regenerate the site and then upload the whole kaboodle which can take hours if you are on a slow connection or if it's a huge site. But then some people prefer static pages due to the flexibility in customization and placement of data.

All in all I say that both are great solutions depending on your tastes.

Oh, a plus to Scripts4yoursite - Chris rocks!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi all. Just wanted to jump in here and answer some missunderstandings and ask a question or two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>cjshoppingnetwork said:
    know that Scripts4yoursite offer scripts to handle datafeeds, but they are $100 each (I vaguely remember seeing that they cost $50 for ABW members, but I may be wrong)
    However, even $50 a time can work out to be very expensive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Only the first purchase is $100. Every purchase after that is just $25. For a program that will download, unzip, read through it, sort by categories and is 100% configurable, $25 is not a bad deal at all. You can have a new site up in as little as 10 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>perfectG said:
    scriptsforyoursite - you have to buy a different script for each merchant. Webmerge - one software works with nearly all merchants therefore much cheaper.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You are correct. Partly. Yes you do have to buy an individual script for each merchant. That is because each merchant handles their feeds differently. While WebMerge may be a one time purchase price, if you consider how my scripts work, $25 is nothing if it saves you hours of uploading time while you have to upload thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of individual pages to you server. My scripts run on your server, not on you home machine.

If you were to get a feed from someone like OverStock, Buy.com, JandR, or others, you will have to upload anywhere between 76,000 pages to over 600,000 pages. Even if you are on a fast connection, this will take time and server space.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>csm said:
    But there must be some advantage to scripts4yoursite that takes some steps out of the process or automates something.

I'm guessing that Webmerge requires more effort and that scripts4yoursite already have a lot of the work done for you that you'd have to do yourself with Webmerge. But I'm curious to know what that is, to try to figure out if it saves me in an area that I don't have skills.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    While I have not looked at WebMerge, I can't answer what that program will do. I can tell you what mine does. Not only does it do what I said above, it also handles the databases, and has the categories sorted out for you and it comes with a template that is ready to go. All you really need to do is just design your site around the products. You don't need to know how to program or how to work with databases to use my scripts. I have several people using my scripts that don't know the first thing about programming. The main advantage that people like about my scripts is that you can actually set them up to update the website whenever you want. This leaves you time to focus on the design of the site and not the how-to's of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Witness said:
    Yes, scripts3yoursite is easy, but not flexible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I am curious about this Witness. Can you please elaborate? When you buy my scripts, you get the source code and you are free to edit it to your liking. If there is something in the database, you can select it and display it.

In the begining, I was encrypting them, but I have since stopped that. If you have an encrypted script, send me an email with the script you purchased and the website url and I will be happy to send you an unencrypted version.

Also, I want to thank steveinid and Akiva. Thanks for the positive feedback. It really just depends on how much your time is worth to you.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Great thread, everyone, and very useful. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Chris, thanks for jumping in and giving some details about your scripts.

I totally agree with Akiva that the purchasing expense is irrelvant. I'm more than happy to pay the price for Chris' scripts if they provide an advantage. I just wasn't clear what this was until now.

I'm quite certain I will be a new scripts4yoursite customer within a few days and maybe will play around with Webmerge for those merchants that Chris doesn't have a script for.

Thanks again everyone!
    Susan

I will add my two-cents here also. And the answer is it depends. I own WebMerge and think it's awesome, but you can judge for yourself. This thread:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...2&m=9256054123
    Will tell you more about the difference.

Fred

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" Steven Wright

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread