Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Geno asking for affiliate links..
    After reading Geno's thread once again offering to credit his pending PC Universe purchase to an affiliate from ABW, it got me to thinking...

We have tons of threads on ABW about unethical affiliates stealing commissions by a variety of means. How ethical is it of Geno to offer to overwrite a possible affiliate cookie on his machine and instead give the commission to the first ABW'er that PMs him with an affiliate link?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I thought he was just trying to be nice.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It is very likely that no cookie was installed on his computer to be overwritten. He could very easily have made his own link and clicked on it instead.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Nothing inappropriate in what he did. Geno was simply trying to help one of his fellow ABWers if possible. The odds that he would have found PC Universe through an affiliate link was extremely low. C'mon now.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Geno is a top notch guy, and is always looking to help people out. This is another way of him helping people out by offering to buy through their link. If anything, he could easily create his own link and receive the commission for himself. But since he is always willing to help other people, this is just another way that he does it. Read some of his posts, he is always giving away money for different contests, etc.

No affiliate cookie was installed prior to me asking. If I wanted to be partial (to put it mildly) in any way (which as it seems Code Monkey's post implies), I would've done exactly what lostdeviant has mentioned, and you would have never found out about it...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by code monkey
    How ethical is it of Geno to offer to overwrite a possible affiliate cookie on his machine and instead give the commission to the first ABW'er that PMs him with an affiliate link?
    As you come to know Geno you will regret having made this post.

Geno certainly does not need my help in defending his actions but, of all the people in this forum, I would think he should be absolutely last when choosing people to accuse of unethical behavior. He has certainly earned the benefit of any doubt.

Odd
    It simply seems odd to me that everyone here is OK with what Geno did..

PC Universe just lost a LOT of profit on Geno's purchase b/c he decided to buy through an affiliate link rather than buying straight from the merchant.

The affiliate link that Geno used IN NO WAY caused him to buy/not buy at PC Universe. His mind was already made up.

Aren't the purpose of affiliate links to compensate an affiliate when they have actively promoted the merchant and induced a customer to purchase? They are NOT intended to compensate an affiliate for being the first one to PM their buddy when their buddy has already decided to buy...

Code Monkey the same argument is made about coupon sites. Do they cause people to buy or are they just money saving tools who would have bought anyway?

I certainly don't see the harm in Geno's actions and would focus more on the things that effect affiliate income and those that enhance it.

I totally agree with visitourmall......however, what if this wasn't Geno.....what if this was offered by a newbie making his first post? Would he have gotten the same treatment? Based on all the threads I have read of Genos and being an affiliate of one of his merchants, I have no doubt in my mind that only the truest of true intentions have taken place here....I would still wonder though how this would be viewed coming from a newbie though???

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this issue. People in every industry throw business to their friends all the time. This sort of thing is not uncommon at ABW and Geno is not the first person to offer to make a purchase through a colleague's link.

However, I am not an ethicist and as far as I know neither is anyone else at ABW. If you'd like an ethicist's point of view on the matter you could write to:

ethicist at nytimes.com

The Ethicist
    The New York Times Magazine
    620 Eighth Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York, NY 10018

This Geno is really getting out of hand. When is this guy ever going to learn? His constant displays of kindness and generosity are abnormal and unbiased. Somebody please take control of him before he just starts to stand on the street corner in DC handing out $50 bills!!!

LOL!

-sfcom

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Note to self..... Send Geno ALL my affiliate links....

Good Grief!!! This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. With all of the crap that goes on in this industry, you have nothing better to do than try to find something underhanded about one ABW member trying to do something nice for another ABW member?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Eh, maybe PC Universe would enjoy benefitting from the mention of their program at the largest affiliate site on the internet. Maybe they would enjoy the implied thumbs up from Geno, an active name in the industry. How many people just signed up with them to promote the products because of the talk here? If that answer is greater than 0, I'd say they made off fairly well.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Good Grief!!! This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. With all of the crap that goes on in this industry, you have nothing better to do than try to find something underhanded about one ABW member trying to do something nice for another ABW member?
    I agree totally!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I totally agree with visitourmall......however, what if this wasn't Geno.....what if this was offered by a newbie making his first post? Would he have gotten the same treatment? Based on all the threads I have read of Genos and being an affiliate of one of his merchants, I have no doubt in my mind that only the truest of true intentions have taken place here....I would still wonder though how this would be viewed coming from a newbie though???
    I have a tendency to think the newbie would have been fried for making that post...however one of the privileges of not being a newbie is earning the trust of those on the board....so if a newbie had offered this they would have been rightly chastised as they had not established a reputation...Geno is by far not a newbie, and has earned a reputation that ensures trust and respect...

Just my two cents.....smiles

ABW Ambassador
    Geno has my complete trust. He's been first rate - and his programs are a joy to work with. Would I send a link to "just anyone" who asked for a link - no. But Geno has proven himself a steadfast friend of affiliates for quite a long time.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    It simply seems odd to me that everyone here is OK with what Geno did..

PC Universe just lost a LOT of profit on Geno's purchase b/c he decided to buy through an affiliate link rather than buying straight from the merchant.

The affiliate link that Geno used IN NO WAY caused him to buy/not buy at PC Universe. His mind was already made up.

Aren't the purpose of affiliate links to compensate an affiliate when they have actively promoted the merchant and induced a customer to purchase? They are NOT intended to compensate an affiliate for being the first one to PM their buddy when their buddy has already decided to buy...
    If anything it helped PC Universe out a lot. I'm sure some affiliates that have never heard of them, went to check them out, some probably put links up. Geno just thinking of buying from them, probably helped them out. And people buy from their own links all the time. Not a big deal at all. Also a good way to test out the tracking, that's basically the whole Test Purchase forum. Affiliates buying from their own links (or in actual witness of people buying from their links) and posting the results.

After reading Geno's thread once again offering to credit his pending PC Universe purchase to an affiliate from ABW, it got me to thinking...
    After I just find that thread you mentioned, and after reading what he said on that thread....

All I can say now is that I no longer like Geno for three reasons:

First: He didn't used my link. :-(
    Second: I am not an PC Universe yet. ;-)
    Third: He didn't told me to join that merchant before making that post. :-[]

Geno definitely doesn't need me coming to his defense either. lol but might as well anyway.

Don't really quite understand how your thinking is to reach the opinion you have? Geno did the same thing that many others involved with the affiliate industry do. If for some reason somebody doesn't have a link of their own, most people would consider it to be nice to purchase through an affiliate's link.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, does that mean that if an affiliate purchases through their own link that is wrong? Since you said "They are NOT intended to compensate an affiliate for being the first one to PM their buddy when their buddy has already decided to buy..." As an affiliate making a purchase through their own link, they've already decided to buy but doubt that anybody would think that's wrong for them to make the purchase through their own site.

I don't mean in any way to sound like I'm attacking you for your post....just think it might have been better to maybe think a little bit before implying somebody is doing something unethical. Doubt you're going to find people agreeing with you on this..

And.....Am trying very hard to control myself and not scream regarding coupon sites and their value. There are good coupon sites that do provide value that are conducting themselves entirely ethically and not doing any shady or ummm possibly shady things and there are coupon sites that are doing shady or possibly shady things. Please, don't lump them altogether and say they don't have value. Not all coupon sites are alike. Nope, am behaving myself and not gonna get started on that. lol

What Geno did was nice of him to do and in no way do I think he was doing or attempting to do something unethical. Please concentrate on the sites or people who really are doing unethical things.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    We ALL do it!

If I need a product from a merchant I'm not an affiliate of, I ask here for a link.

This way an affiliate I KNOW gets the commision, rather then a site I found thru google, and we know if the order tracked (like a test sale)

Nothing wrong at all

We have tons of threads on ABW about unethical affiliates stealing commissions by a variety of means. How ethical is it of Geno to offer to overwrite a possible affiliate cookie on his machine and instead give the commission to the first ABW'er that PMs him with an affiliate link?

Unless you are a fool, I am sure your friends and family shop thru your website and your links. How is what Geno and others do (including me) differ?

Buying thru a friend's link is no different than going to a friend's store.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I should also add that I do not feel it is right to single Geno out. You could have made it a general question and subject line. Many of us do buy through other links.

I think Geno deserves more respect than what you are showing him.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Wow
    All I can say is WOW...

I'm really blown away by the fact that nearly all of you believe what Geno did is 100% OK. Although, if Geno wasn't so well known here, I bet many of you would feel differently.

The affiliates in affiliate marketing are always screaming for more respect from merchants and yet we have no issue with handing out merchants profits to our buddies because 'everyone does it'. We all scream about coupon sites scraping hard earned commissions from 'legitimate' affiliates, and yet it's perfectly ok to hand out a commission to your family or your friend.

Again, in Geno's case, he stated that there were no affiliate cookies on his machine. Great, NO AFFILIATE COMMISSIONS should have been paid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast