Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Unhappy Discussion: Working when you're sick?
    I'm working today, even though I'm sick. And I have to go to work, in a building, with other people. I'd like to know what everyone elses policy is on this. Will you guys work when you're sick? When is it okay to just stay home?

Lightbulb
    uh-uh; if you're contagious, that's not a good thing to share

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I always go into the office when I am sick. Of course, I work from home full time.

If your coughing and hacking junk into the air more than normal, I would appreciate it if you stayed home.

Sorry to hear you are ill, Stephanie. I hope you quickly bounce back.

In my former life as a teacher, I could stay home if I felt too sick to be around people. Fortunately that seldom happened. When I took "early retirement" last year (to change careers) I had nearly a full school-year of accumulated sick time (for which I got paid 25%).

Now my office is the third bedroom in our house. Not like a typical office or bedroom, it has four large windows, plenty of light, is fairly large, and has its own bathroom. With laptops I can also work wherever AND whenever I please (typing this at our dining room table). If I don't feel well, I don't have to work or go anywhere. I consider myself lucky to be able to do so. And, with affiliate marketing, it is good to know we can earn money even on the "off" days.

I can sympathize with your having to go to "the office" on a bad day. Get well - soon.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Depends on how sick you are, and if you have a fever or not. Here is what I do in each situation:

Just sick and not feeling good - take medicine and go to work.
    Fever and not feeling good - Call in, take medicine and go back to bed.
    Throwing up with or without fever - Call in and crawl back into bed.

Most of the time if your sick with a fever, or sick and throwing up, your boss will not want you to come to work unless he/she is a total @ss. Although I never "ask" to stay home either, if I'm feeling that bad, I just tell him that I can't come in today.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Just to clarify, I'm not sure if I'm contagious or not. Without being too graphic, symptoms include: headache, muscle aches, stomach cramps and overall exhaustion. Plus my cube has high walls. Trying not to do too much interaction. Except of course with you guys.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    uh-uh; if you're contagious, that's not a good thing to share
    Exactly!

When you're sick, avoiding going into w*rk isn't just pleasant, it's truly the right thing to do.

Exposing others at your w*rkplace to your germs is NOT impressive. Keep your crud to yourself! Mgmt will lose any anti-absenteeism attitude it may give you when you call in, if you remind them that the alternative is to have your lousy germs spread all over the place.

When is it okay to just stay home?
    1) When you're contagious!
    2) When you feel like hell (whether mgmt likes it or not). It doesn't help the company to have sickies plodding around in a medicated haze, screwing things up.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwind&Brasswind
    Just to clarify, I'm not sure if I'm contagious or not.
    If you have a fever, then your contagious.

Pack up, go home and crawl under your comforter with your laptop so that we can send you a "poor baby" every once in a while.

POOR BABY!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Sigh... While I do have a laptop for work, I don't have VPN, so I wouldn't have access to the servers here. Very tempting though... Although I'm sure it would just culminate in an afternoon of talk shows and chicken noodle soup.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    When I worked in an office I was not happy about people who were sick coming to work and sharing their germs with those of us who weren't sick. I managed to make it well into my 40s without contracting the flu until a coworker of my husband's brought it into his workplace, gave it to him and several others, and hubby brought it home and shared it with me.

Years ago I worked for a small, privately owned company which had a very firm policy that anyone who came to work sick would immediately be sent home with instructions not to return until they were healthy. I thought that was a very sensible (and humane) policy.

I hope you feel better soon, W&B!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Before working by myself and long before doing this marketing stuff, I had jobs *cringe*. I didn't think people should go to work sick, but managers would get angry when someone didn't come in, for all but the largest companies, so I guess someone should go to work because it might cost the employee his or her next raise or promotion otherwise.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know but just in case, I'm running my virus software after I leave this thread.

On a serious note, when I had a job the only time I missed work was when I had the flu, which just kicked my butt. No appetite, chills, throwing up, lost about 10 pounds, no way I was working, even if I wanted too. I think there was one point where I worked like 5 years straight without missing a day. There were times I had a bad cold or something like that and they just didn't have anybody to take my place and if I missed worked, I would just have that much more work when I got back.
    Last edited by Trust; January 10th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

I always feel too guilty to stay home when I am sick. I think I will feel better once I get to work -- of course, it only makes me feel worse.

If you are not feeling well, you should go home and rest!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFashionista
    I always feel too guilty to stay home when I am sick. I think I will feel better once I get to work -- of course, it only makes me feel worse.

If you are not feeling well, you should go home and rest!

Hope you feel better soon!!
    Oh, I'll stay home, but I'll feel guilty about it. That comes from years of having a boss who thought the only good excuse for absence due to illness was major surgery and/or hospitalization. And then, of course, there's the one time I was out sick for a week getting over an upper respiratory infection which had me hacking for 3 weeks. In the meantime, while I was out sick, my team lead was sick (he picked up a bug during a business trip), but at work infecting everyone. Guess who got blamed for making the whole office sick. Yeah, me... We had visitors to the office and I didn't get introduced as one of the developers on such-and-such project. I was introduced as "the person that made the whole office sick".

Needless to say, I left that j*b in a few months after that.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I'm working today, even though I'm sick. And I have to go to work, in a building, with other people.
    In this business, that will be call like: Spreading a virus to the other people on that building. :-(
    I'd like to know what everyone elses policy is on this. Will you guys work when you're sick? When is it okay to just stay home?
    I can't truthfully answer that question without some bias on my part, because...

I have being home for too long, and I even have done some work when once in a blue moon I have gotten sick, (Like on last December when someone came here to my home office and gave a two week free flu gift.) :-(

But all I can say is this, since you work for someone else, don't get the other innocent people on that building, the gift of your virus too, just call sick, and tell your boss, that you deserve a bonus, because you're saving the company from getting the other workers on that building sick too.

If your boss say no, and tell you that if you don't show up to work, you will lose a day pay, then you will have to make a big decision. Either go to work and get your fellow co-workers sick for a lousy 40hrs pay check, or go work for yourself and make (The sky is the limit $), and stay home and get your own home family sick.

;-)

That comes from years of having a boss who thought the only good excuse for absence due to illness was major surgery and/or hospitalization.
    My stubborness comes from a similar situation. In college, I bartended, and when you're sick, you just work through it. Cause there is usually no sick days or replacements.

Plus, I always worry about using my sick days. What if I really need them one day cause I'm super-duper-uber sick?

its very simple..if you have the energy to go to work then you should go and work and if you really very sick and cant move much then anyways you cant go to work..you have to make the choice you want to work if you can or still bunk.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    It's what the Internet was invented for, Being sick AND still working from home
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Tax Paying Member
    When I was an employee, I rarely let a sickness keep me from the office. I felt guilty about not working (free loading) and did not think about the fallout from my germs even though that could be more detrimental to the company than my 1 or 2 days of "free loading".

Now on the other hand......As an employer ..........I encouraged people to take a hike when they showed up to the office while sick.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

My motto since being at home is "if I can sit in a chair without falling out, I'll work." I've only fallen out of that chair 3 times in 12 years.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Depends on how sick you are, and how many sick days you have left! Feel better

Special Thanks!
    I am feeling much better today! Thanks to everyone who wished me well!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread