Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    $2,500 car unveiled
    Tata unveils world's cheapest car
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080110/...ultracheap_car

Decisions.......pick up date in Hummer or Tata?

Lightbulb
    if it has a heated back window, I can push it if it won't go in cold weather.

Pick up your date in a Hummer..

Or Pick up your date and 80 of her friends in your 20 Tatas..

Hmmmmm. Tata kinda sounds like Yugo - just with a different spelling and pronounciation.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The world's first disposable automobile - if it gets dirty, just buy a new one! Excellent!

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    sorry this big american could not even fit into that "tata".

I'd have pull out the fronts seats and drive from the back row (as done in the movie Police Acadamy)

I like the comment that entire familes would try to fit on a 2 wheeled scooter.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Did they outsource the building of it to kid nation?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Won't sell in the U.S. because of safety and emission regulations....makes me wonder how having zillions of these cars on the road will affect the air quality...
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I think it is a great idea - I saw it this morning on GMA and was like that is perfect for my teenage daughter who only needs it to drive to school, work and performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    ...perfect for my teenage daughter who only needs it to drive to school, work and performances.
    From experience, I'd be afraid to do that. Insurance industry actuaries make it no secret that new drivers and teenage drivers have more accidents than the rest of the population.

About 10 years ago our daughter had her first and only accident (at age 17). She was driving a land yacht that I had inherited from my mother when she gave up driving. Our daughter swerved to avoid a dog running through traffic and totaled the New Yorker. She and her friend both walked away without a scratch, but the accident was bad enough that the responding police officer "made" them go to the hospital to get checked out. I wonder if they would have been OK in a Tata. Or, what about the "other driver" - if our daughter had slammed into a Tata rather than a truck.

No, I don't think we'll see those cars in the US any time soon.

However, there is a version of Europe's "Smart Car" soon to be marketed in our area...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

All good points Beachy - I am terrified to think of her driving without me in the car.....

If I could I wrap a tank around her to not only protect her, but everyone else on the road when she is driving without me next her....

At this point we have made a rule that until she is 17 her driving radius is 5 miles from our home....that is far enough to get her to school, work, the library her best friends and any performance that are outside of that range I will be attending anyhow so there is no need for two cars....

If they could make a cheap, reliable, eco-friendly, indestructible vehicle for teenagers, that would be AWESOME!!!....

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean safe, but small and flimsy definitely does mean less safe.

"If they could make a cheap, reliable, eco-friendly, indestructible vehicle for teenagers, that would be AWESOME!!!...."

God help us all if that ever comes to be... no, I don't think I'd want indestructible vehicles on the road as long as there are fully destructible vehicles sharing the space - especially under the control of a teenager.

the cars features has been developed keeping the indian people in mind. its going to be on the road from September. The company had announced long back that they will make a car which can be afforded by common man also. In India where a motorbike is costing approx $1500 i guess this car will be a big hit, already the car companys share prices have shot up today and news channel have given the car a fairly good rating.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by id2k
    the cars features has been developed keeping the indian people in mind. its going to be on the road from September. The company had announced long back that they will make a car which can be afforded by common man also. In India where a motorbike is costing approx $1500 i guess this car will be a big hit, already the car companys share prices have shot up today and news channel have given the car a fairly good rating.
    Yeah, should do great there considering - "People's Car" for India a country of some 1.1 billion where only seven of every 1,000 people own a car.

So less than 1% of people there own a car.

2 questions:

What's the lease rate/month?

Anyone else picture an oversized vending machine with these as a "showroom"? No salespersons necessary.

-sfcom

Tax Paying Member
    Navigating I-40 through our area while driving that car would be almost as safe as riding the fast lane on a skate board.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I imagine there would not be much commission to the sales person.......

I just bought 40 now I am a car salesman lol, all I have to do now is buy a showroom. Oh wait I have room in my backyard lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Here's an idea... Buy two of 'em. Pimp them out and offer advertising for local businesses on them. You can call your new advertising business "Bodacious Tatas".
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Hmmmmm,

I wonder if Tata will outsource customer service to an offshore telemarketing center here in the U.S.? :-)

I would not mind having one of them to put in the back of my F350 for when we travel. Intriguing, and for a country where so few can afford an automobile, it should be a huge seller, provided people are prepared for a few years of debugging. Very interesting.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    As the article says, it would be a great car for those who are considering an upgrade from 2 wheelers and doesn't need a stiff price differential. There should be a strong market for this in India. Most vehicle owners there own 2 wheelers (and of course, many more does not even own a vehicle).

With India fast growing GDP at 10% plus clip (while the US is feared of big R word and ever depreciating dollar), there is a huge middle class being created there. And this car will be a great welcome to that segment. A great move by Ratan Tata, one of the pioneering entrepreneurs in India.

Of course, this leaves a concern as to what happens to the AIR QUALITY?. Then imagine what happens if the car ownership in India is same as that in the US?. All non-smokers will become 24x7 smokers

For the Air Quality - the World has to sacrifice - the biggest culprits of emissions in the World, guess where they are .. Per capita, the developed nations (US included) pollutes the most according to many studies (can someone point to these studies ..?).

Air Quality is a worldwide issue.

Imagine what happens to AIR QUALITY, if we all ditch the Hummers and replace with eco-friendly vehicles or smaller vehicles like this Tata Nano!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Intriguing, and for a country where so few can afford an automobile ...
    If that is intriguing to you, try buying a home in hot pockets like Mumbai or Bangalore where the real estate is one of the World's most expensive. You may be able to afford real estate in the most expensive Silicon Valley, but will have hard time owning similar home in Mumbai!.

India is very intriguing. There is a huge contrast between "stinkingly rich" there vs. "poor or middle class". But the "middle class" is fast growing and will soon become larger than the ones in the developed nations.

Of course, a falling dollar will only help Indians afford more things. Now, Indians are vacationing abroad, Singapore, US etc. which was unheard of before for people in India to go on any vacations (leave aside vacationing abroad)!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton

I wonder if Tata will outsource customer service to an offshore telemarketing center here in the U.S.? :-)
    India is no longer a story of outsourcing. It used to be ...

India unlike China has a huge and hungry consumers. Indian economy is now driven more by internal consumption than outsourcing. While the US is reeling under big R word, India anticipates a continued GDP growth of 10% plus.

Case in point, the software stocks in India took a hit (negative returns) last year while the Indian stock market overall grew almost 100%.

Software or Outsourcing is not driving the growth in India based on what I understand. Airlines, Retail, Steel, Construction, Auto etc. were some of the biggest growth sectors in India last year. Go figure ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    $2,500 car unveiled
    Tata unveils world's cheapest car

Decisions.......pick up date in Hummer or Tata?
    Decisions?

Sure, now I have to decide if I am going to spend $3k on a new computer in order to be sitting here working all day and nights making pages.

Or just by a brand-new Tata for only $2.5K, and use the other $500 on South Beach looking for........ :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast