Downsides To Animated Banners?
    With the dominance of animated banners in the creatives of most merchants you would guess that thinking negative of them must be crazy.

I have a page that has converted well with a tech type review and flashing banners for the reviewed product. I'm greedy and want it to do better. Today all banners are gone from that page. It would seem that a reader could not take my review serious with all the commercial efforts throbbing and flashing in the edge of his or her field of vision.

I am probably letting my own prejudice get in here since I hate anything moving on a page I'm reading. Why can't we at least have a few more still banners.

Merchants are not necessarily marketers, and to my mind, that's evidenced by merchants that don't have any static banners. Static and animated both, fine... but animated only? No, thanks.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Merchant's job is to have their link stand out - hence the loud graphics

My job is to presell - hence NO loud graphics

Example: If I have a page I spent a lot of time developing, about the merits of NutriSystem, and I have related banners in the right hand column, I won't put an animated Jenny Craig banner there, as all my work would be a waste

What about an animated NutriSystem banner? Is it the animation or the subject that's your first priority/concern?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Just a personal preference. I think animated banners are "loud", and they don't fit the "motif" of my sites.

And, If I list 10 shoe stores, and one of them is an animated banner, I think people will gravitate towards clicking it, whethe it's the shoe store they want or not. If they were planning on shopping at Payless but clicked Shoes.com only because it was the flashing banner, then I feel I lost a sale.

I went from a Targeted payless customer to a non-targeted "let's see what these guys with the flashy banner offer" wasted click.

That's a great perspective, thanks!

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Downside is overuse. Appropriately placed some animated banners can perform rather nicely.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Tax Paying Member
    I use animated banners on occasion. They must fit with the scheme of the page and there are somplaces where I think that they help.

Never put 2 side by side....and probably not more that one per page. I do not want my page blinking like a neon sign on the fritz.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Thumbs up
    Excellent thread !! I need to go back and re-work some of my pages. This is what I love about this place.

Long-time lurker here.
    Speaking as a consumer, here's what I feel are some downsides to animated banners, specifically Flash ones.

1.) Sound ads, especially when you're trying to concentrate or at work=BIG NO.

2.) Some unscrupulous programmers have been making banners that automatically expand to occupy a large portion of the window once loaded and won't go away until you click on the banner to make it collapse. There are some REALLY bad variants of this that place flash objects that double as hyperlinks all over the page, no matter how far down you scroll!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Off the cuff....

The huge majority of animateds are annoying as they most often disrupt the visitors focus. Some merchants may see that as a positive way to corral clicks, but it is less benefit than hinderance.

Animateds in rare situations, on the right pages may be useful to some extent, but law of averages again is that it is more distraction than benefit.

I visit each site when an affiliate joins one of our programs. Some of them look great, some of them make me scratch my head and wonder. But I do not often see an animated banner that hits me as worthwhile on these sites.

As a merchant, I guess we have to offer both animated and static, but static banners (for many reasons - including BK's insight) are in general much more professional / less offensive to the eye.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    my experience has taught me that...

flashing banners are like drunk irishmen...

they're fairly harmless and sure, they're pretty annoying too, but they're real easy to ignore.

and there place in marketing is very limited.

:-)

Even here at ABW, the static banners perform best then the subtly animated and lastly the animated ones. Flash ads have the absolute worst CTR.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I am surprised with the thoughts expressed here that there aren't more still banners available. Sometimes you can't find a certain size that's not animated. Graphics folks still must be operating on the "do it just because you can" motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Even here at ABW, the static banners perform best then the subtly animated and lastly the animated ones. Flash ads have the absolute worst CTR.
    This mirrors the observation that I have described in my newest book (going to print within the next 2-3 days). Here's a printscreen (and a sneak peak ;-)):

Geno
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; January 17th, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

This mirrors the observation that I have described in my newest book (going to print within the next 2-3 days)
    Has the book been mentioned at ABW? If so I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Has the book been mentioned at ABW? If so I missed it.
    No, you haven't missed anything. It has been mentioned in passing before, but no official announcement has been made yet. ;-)

Geno

Very interesting thread. I thought conventional Internet marketing wisdom followed conventional design wisdom -- animated gifs and banners are amateurish.

Yet, as has been mentioned here, still many merchants offer mostly animated buttons and banners, and some offer ONLY animated stuff in some sizes.

Hard to understand, really, since the merchant and the affiliate are both working toward the same goal, aren't we? And that would be SALES, not entertainment??

Donuts, I loved your drunken Irishman analogy. Cracked me up.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    my experience has taught me that...

flashing banners are like drunk irishmen...

they're fairly harmless and sure, they're pretty annoying too, but they're real easy to ignore.

and there place in marketing is very limited.

:-)

Sue considers smacking Donuts ...

You did mean only the Irish males, didn't you ???

This is a GREAT thread.

I find it somewhat funny that on the same page as this thread are animated banners.

On animated banners such as the ones that are located on this page the message poised is somewhat too large to be delivered all in one view so the animation helps to deliver an entire or multiple messages.

Im on the fence over this issue because the programs I manage only had animated banners when I first took them on. Since then I've worked with the design team to move towards some non-animated banners (which are beutiful looking if I must say so myself).

The non-animated banners deliver a more sound professional message with a strong deliverable. This is truly where I want our program to stand because of the target market and the price range I wish to sell products in.

However, I have seen far better results in the pages using the old animated banners. Do I attribute it to the long standing reputation of my affiliate's sites or do I credit the animated banners with appeal?

I have recently been part of a new company's launch and management of the affiliate program. I am biased against animation regardsless my observation and have just implemented non-animated banners to start and we'll just have to test the results over the upcoming months.

I can conclude that the landing page is what closes the sale, so weather animated or not a unsecure generic landing page is probably gonna result in the click of the back button.

Banners aren't my preferred choice for promoting at all. I do use banners, and when I do, I generally prefer static ones. However, it's hard to speak in generalities, because not all banners are created equal. Many animated banners are tacky and obnoxious. A few are interesting and eye-catching. I do use animated banners sometimes. As a web surfer, I tend to be "banner blind". so I figure that if a banner actually grabs my interest long enough for me to look and click, then it might grab someone else's attention too.

Not that my opinion really matters much...I'm relatively new at this, and I am not even close to being an expert. So, thanks to everyone else who voiced opinions in this thread. I really appreciate all the insights.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Good banners work...
    Are we missing the point? It's not about animated or static it's about marketing. Good marketing connects with the prospect in a way that moves them into the buying cycle and towards the shopping cart. It's as much about what happens after they click as why you get a click in the first place.

A good banner connects with a real need and hopefully the underlying emotion in that need. For example, if the underlying emotion is wanting to "quit a day job" or "working from home" then an image that shows someone frustrated with their job or happily working at home on their computer will immediately get that person's attention and interest... because it connects with an underlying need.

Combining the image with a slogan that implies a solution to that "problem" but does not give the whole story away will create a "knowledge gap". That gap is like an itch that needs to be scratched because you've just created a gap in their knowledge/understanding. This will motivate the viewer to click in a hopefully motivated, "open-to-buy" frame of mind.

Once they do click, the landing page must deliver on the implication of the knowledge gap. It must provide a real solution to the exact problem that the banner implies. If it doesn't deliver "value" then the click will be wasted. If it does you have a real, qualified prospect that just might keep on moving towards the shopping cart and you have a chance of converting that click into a sale.

Bottom line... good marketing banners works, bad ones suck.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread