Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    It definitely works...
    We have been working on a new website we launched about 60 days ago. We have spent the past two months applying best SEO practices including a strong mix of relevant one way inbound links, appropriate internal linking and unique content.

I was just looking at our stats in the SE's. I was floored by the number of first page placements Google has given the site already. We are updating the site today with the last of the strategies applied to the structure and can not wait for the next index.

Interesting Yahoo and Live have not been nearly as generous.

But the reason I am posting this is to let people know that you can get first page placement on many terms fairly quickly (60 days or so) if you put the work into your site when others try to take the shortcuts. We are top 10 on terms with 5,000,000 indexed pages.

So the moral of the story is keep at it!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

That's great good for you. I've always had great luck with Yahoo but not so great with G.

I love that you posted this....you don't need black hat tricks to rank well....being honest pays out in the end

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Awesome!

Ethics does win out in the end! Thanks for posting and sharing the positivity with everyone.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Nice Story! Thanks for Sharing.

Keep up the great and ethical work!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

"We are top 10 on terms with 5,000,000 indexed pages."

Is 5 million pages providing valuable content to visitors? I'm sincerely confused? Could you please elaborate on the ratio of this # to the sites you operate?

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Interesting Yahoo and Live have not been nearly as generous.
    Maybe they know better
    Seriously, 5 million pages? The same pages over and over again? I don't get it.
    SomethingStore.com - Surprise and Delight!

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE

Is 5 million pages providing valuable content to visitors? I'm sincerely confused? Could you please elaborate on the ratio of this # to the sites you operate?
    I think he meant there are 5 million results in Google for the keywords they ranked in the top 10 for. So being in the top 10 out of a possible 5 million is a great accomplishment. Congrats!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Congrats...assuming you're not under some competing term!
    We have spent the past two months applying best SEO practices including a strong mix of relevant one way inbound links, appropriate internal linking and unique content.
    I've had decent luck with some merchant sites with what sounds like the same strategy, although the results haven't been so quick with the G. For merchant sites I'm stuck writing all the descrips from scratch (there IS no feed) ; at first I thought that part sucked fairly badly, but it wasn't long before I noticed that there are benefits. The inbound links make a big difference, too.

As for Y...when they like a site of mine they really like it! But they seem to hate all my affiliate sites, regardless of design, age, or uniqueness. I'm always tempted to cloak all my aff URLs when I think of them, but then I get into some other project and say to heck with it.

MSN Live doesn't send much traffic even with good rank, so I don't worry about them and no longer pay them much attention. They're volatile as heck, though...when I did bother to watch, my rankings were bouncing all over the place and it never did seem to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowmufn
    being in the top 10 out of a possible 5 million is a great accomplishment.
    There's "5 million" and then there's "5 MILLION."
    It all depends on how many of them are actively and skillfully competing for the same term.
    Last edited by Leader; January 11th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

Great post! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

I am having a similar experience with one of my new sites too. I'm still not ranking well for the main keywords I am trying to target, though. (Which is just fine with me considering that my site isn't even finished yet, so I don't feel entirely ready for massive amounts of traffic. In some cases I think the "sandbox" can be a good thing?)

It never ceases to amaze me, some of the crazy searches people do. People enter search terms I would never have thought of in a million years, let alone try to optimize for.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE

At the top of every results page Google returns you will find:

Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about XX,XXX,XXX

We use that as a barometer of how many pages Google has indexed and determined might deliver relevant content containing those searched for words (or course all are not actually relevant).

It is obviously easier to rank higher when the universe of competing pages is smaller.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Google Algorithms Like White Hat Techniques
    Congratulations on your quick results. I've had similar results for some of my client's sites as well. If you read Google Spam Engineer Matt Cutts' Blog you will find out that Google Algo's are catching on to black hat methods fairly quickly. What used to be possible in the past is being penalized now. Google also has a fairly new Snitch factor incorporated into the algo's. You can report paid link schemes etc., through the Google webmaster console. White hat is the only way to go, Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by G-WebServices
    ...White hat is the only way to go, Definitely...
    That is the only way to obtain AND maintain good SERP placement. The black-hatters may find a way to beat the system for a while; but the engineers will alway s find a way to detect those manipulations.

I always keep ecomcity's sig in mind: "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!" Relevant - true - and what we're supposed to be all about anyway.

Reading this thread had me go back and look up some results for a couple of my travel sites - where the competition is often mind-boggling. Seems like "everybody" is trying "everything" to get to the top of the SERPs. For one resort town where I have a site with content and photos and "hotels" - this morning I am at the top of page one for a search on city name hotels. In fact G is showing two entries - one to my "hotel reservations" page and the other to the the home page.

For another place, a large/popular city, I have a site in second place of G's organic results for cityname hotels. That's number "2" out of 640,000 results for those terms. For the same city I have two different sites, in first and second place for downtown cityname hotels.

WooHoo! Yes, I am a happy camper, but in addition to selling hotel reservations, I have been working hard for a long time to provide useful information to people visiting these places. I have NEVER used black hat techniques - and it is paying off.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bravo Beachy! That's seriously impressive.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread