Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
    My right wrist has been quite sore that past few days. I haven't been doing any heavy lifting or anything out of the norm. Not really sure what carpal tunnel feels like, but top left side of my wrist is feeling something. Maybe I need a foam wrist pad for my keyboard and mouse? Anyone have any recommendations for someone who is a heavy computer user?

Affiliate Manager
    Switch mouse hands. It's takes a LOT of getting used to (only slightly easier for us lefties), but it's quite liberating in the long run and can save your hands. Worth trying.

And if the pain persists, of course visit your doctor. Hands are too critical to leave to chance.

Good luck with that -
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hey Seymour,

If it is your mousing hand I highly recommend switching to a "vertical" style mouse. I have tried several including the Evoluent, 3M Ergo joystick style, and the pen mouse by Salient.

While all three helped significantly in terms of relieving wear I have a definite preference:

Salient was the most flexible since it comes in a wireless configuration and is slim. This might work really well for drawing since it doesn't need a wacom style tablet to work and can track well on any surface. It also would work very well for use with a laptop while traveling. Myself I needed it for daily use and didn't like the button configuration (left click is below right click and at a slightly odd angle in terms of reaching the buttons) and found myself tensing more at times so as not to drop it. Ended up giving the pen to my wife who does draw on her computer.

The 3M Ergo joystick style mouse was in a way the hardest to get used to because although you are in a joystick position you have to slide the whole mouse rather than just swivel the stick. You are also using only your thumb to right or left click which feels very natural if you are used to video games. After getting accustomed to it made a great mouse however it isn't very sturdy in terms of design. One drawback was no roller for scrolling.

The Evoluent is the one I am using now. It is the most neutral position of the three and is easy to get used to. You do need to designate which hand when you buy since all the buttons are on one side including the roller. It is well built and sturdy.

Hope that helps.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

if you are not experiencing any tingling or numbness in your fingers then it probably not carpal tunnel but rather tendinitis, and all the recommendations above are great for relieving the stress on your wrist and hand

Anyone have any recommendations for someone who is a heavy computer user?
    Well, over a year ago sometimes I used to get a big pain between my thumb and the index finger after too many hours at the computer, and specially after using the index finger a lot, on the mouse wheel to scroll many pages.

But I have noticed that after I started to use the mouse on the lower shelve of the desk, I don't even remember when was the last time I had that same pain again. By the way, the mouse is just above waist level when sitting in front of the computer, before it was higher (chest level) on my other desk.

Now, about the tail-bone pain after many hours on the chair..... (That's another story.) There is an old thread around here with many posts about that pain in the rear. :-)

Aw, c'mon -- just suck it up. No pain no gain.

Or as my sainted grandmother used to say: "Remember, there are millions of starving children in China."

(Just kidding -- hope you find some real relief with the suggestions offered. Sorry I have nothing constructive to say about it.)
    Generate more fake news.

I have a slightly rounded (to the touch) mouse (at least in comparison to one "junk mouse" -- it was a flat piece of junk -- that once accompanied previous computer equipment and made my wrist ache) and a rest that is attached to my keyboard, but other than that, I don't use special equipment.

I find it helpful to take a break or pause every so often and perform some orthopedaedic exercises like these recommended by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
    http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm

I hope you feel better
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Have you considered a trackball? My mother-in-law couldn't get used to a mouse, said it was too uncomfortable for her, but a trackball worked out great.

I don't get uncomfortable with mice, but I do occasionally switch out for my Wacom tablet and use that for a mouse replacement.

I've found that keeping my wrists raised really helps relieve stress on my wrists. Keeping your arm stationary puts all the motion in your wrists. I try to type by moving my arms and keeping my wrists straight. Same for my mouse. Has worked wonders over the years.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ah come on Seymour, you know you've been ringing that cow bell too much man.
    Just kidding of course. Hope you take the advice given above.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I am a somewhat switch hitter. I write, eat, and do delicate things with my left hand and everything else with my right hand. My right hand is on the mouse. Thanks for the suggestions.

I will probably go out and find either a foam wrist support for in front of the keyboard/mouse or look at a trackball mouse.

Stretch, stretch and stretch again. For every hour you spend on the computer you need roughly a 10 min break for your eyes and to stretch.
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

Run your finger firmly down your hand, from the tip of your thumb to just past your wrist. If it tingles right after you get to the wrist, then that is carpal tunnel developing. You might need a brace.
    Good luck.

I thought of something else - how much motion are you using to get your mouse pointer to where you need it? For me, to go from one side of my screen to the other, I only have to move the mouse about two inches. I don't usually move the mouse that far though, because I grip it with my thumb and pinky at the base of the mouse and will frequently move it, pick it up and move it back, then put it down and move it again. Lots of very small movements, you know? I don't grip it tight. The index finger is for the left mouse button, the middle finger takes care of the right mouse button and the scroll wheel. The third finger just hangs out off the mouse, really... it's not involved except for maybe finer control over movement.

So, side to side movement is like I said, with thumb and pinky and occasionally the picking it up thing, but top to bottom movement doesn't involve my wrist at all - flexing my fingers takes care of that completely. No arm movement, no wrist movement. Very light touch on the mouse.

Just some additional food for thought

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread