I am befuddled. I thought that affiliate sites were not allowed in DMOZ. I recently was crusing through it and saw the name of an editor that was the same as a rebate/shopping site. I looked up the site and sure enough there it was. What's the deal with this? I couldn't get my site in there to save the world. It is listed in 3 categories.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

There are corrupt editor too

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

ABW Ambassador
    Affililate sites are allowed in DMOZ, they are just hard to get in unless you're an editor or know an editor.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Somehow one of my sites got in a few months ago. I'm not complaining and I'm certainly not tell them about it.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    What site?

Yes, there are a lot of corrupt editors.

I'm surprised that you're surprised. Ebates is listed in there... (though I don't think the editor who managed that category (possibly the same as the one you're talking about..) is connected with ebates....)

I believe I've read of success [getting sites removed] when the evidence of abuse was brought to the attention of some of the metas, perhaps on their forum... if you're interested in pursuing it.

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

ABW Ambassador
    i hate dmoz,
    i have been trying to get my site in the top page of google for 2 years now on a particular keyword(very hard to do),my page has been in dmoz over a year! and, so i finally figured out how to add a new page to dmoz(had a cache problem) anyway the editor put this page in the next day, then took my other page out!

I then tried to put it back in, with a note attached! and then she put another page in with a crap description(no keywords at all) and took the other one she had just put in out!

I am going mad! i will lose 100 visitors a day when dmoz updates google.

And then i find out her own site is in, with a long keyworded description! I am fuming.

I am an editor in the same catagory in zeal, so i really want to take this site out! But i know its unethical, so why should she act like that?

I am sure she is new, as there was no editor before.

Shall I email her personally?

Anyway, enough ranting for now!

ABW Ambassador
    Usually only one page from a domain is allowd.

Unless ..provides significant..unique..content..bla bla bla

Really interested to know what site the original poster is talking about. I only know of one but doesn't quite match that description, and, I didn't think they were an editor ...

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Tamalyn: I then tried to put it back in, with a note attached! and then she put another page in with a crap description(no keywords at all) and took the other one she had just put in out!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The keywords thing is a myth - it makes no difference to your Google results, only to results pulled directly from the dmoz.org search engine. Google uses the DMOZ data only for the ancillary description and adds the category to the SE results and the toolbar. That having been said, Tamalyn, in the case in point it does appear that the editor has given herself a favourable description that doesn't meet guidelines.. the best thing to do is take it to a more senior editor in the branch of that tree.

Affiliate sites.. hmmm. It's not always clearcut sometimes.. eBates is one, but a lot of shopping comparision sites and review sites are affiliates too. If you suspect abuse, email staff@dmoz.org with the full details, or contact a meta. There are some more details over at the ODP Public Forum.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

They all stink, I had my content site removed by one editor and come to find out, he just didn't know how to move it, so he deleted it and moved on, he did a bunch of sites that way.

ABW Ambassador
    "If you suspect abuse, email staff@dmoz.org with the full details, or contact a meta. There are some more details over at the ODP Public Forum."

What if you submitted a request for a change to the listing (through the usual DMOZ site submission form)? Then someone would have to look at it - probably the editor in question in which case it would at least be logged and the editor would get the message (maybe make it look like you are an editor too just to scare him/her).

That's right Jimbo, all edit/delete/add etc operations are logged. If an update request is rejected there has to be a reason stated, and any other editor can see that reason.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread