404 Error On Web Site Stats
    Anyone know why when I view my sites stats I see a high number of 404 errors for my visitors?

I have walked through the site plenty and it views fine to me.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    matt

may be bots looking for old pages
    Thanks,
    Doug

Broken Inbound Links, No Permanent 301 or 302 Redirects, etc.
    I agree with Simplistechs, You've probably deleted a page or several pages from your site which were previously indexed or have links from your own site or other sites pointing to them. These sites could be visited by robots and possibly by humans as well if they click on broken links pointing to your old pages.

Suggestion: Create an XML sitemap and submit it to Google and Yahoo. You can also create a .txt sitemap but the xml sitemap is more effective. You can use this to tell search engine spiders which pages you want indexed.

Perform an inbound link search using any one of many inbound link tools available. This may possibly show you what sites the broken links may be comming from.

Create permanent 301 redirects for those old pages so that they are taken to your new pages.

Create a custom 404 page. Use this to take advantage of visitors that accidentally land on your 404 pages. You can give your users a menu, options on other available pages, etc. Some people even include adsense or Google search on these pages.

Install Google analytics or any other reliable tracking software on your site (if you have not already done so) as this may give you hints as to where broken links are and where your visitors are coming from.

Hope this helps.

Serapis Murillo

Exclamation
    also, there are some bots that are up to no good and look for certain pages and/or directories. If they find them they know what to do with them.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread