ABW Ambassador
    Those that use target="_blank" to open your links up in a new window, know anything about pop-up blockers, blocking your affiliate links? I don't pop my links so i don't have this problem but those that do might want to check on this. Someone mentioned trying this out with different pop-up blockers and their links were blocked.

ABW Ambassador
    ohhhh is that what lauren is going on about..

Hmm..

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

ABW Ambassador
    Tested with Mozilla 1.4 and Opera 7.0 and both Do the Right Thing.

The key is popup blockers are supposed to block unrequested javascript popup windows. Not frame target new windows...

Which popup blockers did this? (I'm assuming the browser was IE6?)

[edit]
    Just installed and tested the earthlink popup blocker (forgot which one they've rebranded) It did block the click through and showed the little FIST.

It also caught the popup when exiting ABW chat...

[This message was edited by Joseph Monuit on May 17, 2003 at 09:18 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Well, i have 1 pop-up like that(target="_blank") and i know the new AOL browser blocked it, it blocks all pop-ups. So it is something to look into if you're doing this. Don't know about the other pop up blocker software out there, but AOL does it.
    Also in the future i think pop up blocker software, if it doesn't now block target=blank, might to do in the future. So something to be aware of.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't call target="_blank" on an anchor/link a "pop-up" ... I guess some would since they didn't specifically shift-click and ask it to open in a new window. But the user did take an action and click on a link. I thought it was fairly standard for many sites to open on-site links in the same window, off-site in a new window.

If only people didn't use that Piece of shit IE.

Both Mozilla and Opera have native popup blocking support that does the RIGHT thing (in most cases ..) and blocks (what I would call) unrequested popups.

----
    -JM

ABW Ambassador
    I think its a good idea if you pop anything even by clicking, to seriously consider not doing it. Pop blocking software, browsers etc, can only get more agressive in doing this. I've went to a few sites with the AOL and youre right joseph it didn't block an affiliate link i had set to open in another window. I tested on one site and it did block a popup i had set to pop when loading the page.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know of any studies about stickiness WRT opening offsite links in a new window? Seem to remember actually reading that it didn't help all that much.

I still prefer to open them in new windows. Even this forum opens links in posts in new windows.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Forums are about the ONLY place I prefer to have links open in a new window. WMW's links open in the same window and it's a royal PITA, at least until the viewer remembers that at wmw, the links need to be told to open in a new one.

But that's because on a forum, I'm there to read what's being said *there*, and don't want to lose my place while following someone's link. The whole point of an affiliate Sales site, on the other hand, is to get the viewer to beat it onto the site that's paying the commission! So I have the links on my sites open in the same window.

~Revenue is King

I open my almost all store links on a new browser, and I tested with AOL blocker and it works fine. It may be some setting in the blocking software.

I think it's good idea to open outside links in a new browser, if the same page contains other related links & info, so the visitor won't lose the page. Also, if I have group of similar merchants/products on a particular page, the shopper is pretty likely to visit a few of them, and every clicks set a new cookie increases the chance of a sale. Which, I like!

ABW Ambassador
    This is ridiculous. A pop-up is an unwanted window that is triggered and launches automatically. Using target="_blank" or target="_new" does not launch an unwanted page--it requires the user to click on a hyperlink, just as any other page would.

For my coupon site, I always launch the merchant's site in a new window. After all, I have a lot more companies than one that I want people to shop at.

Michael

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I do open many of my network merchant links into a new window as my Cybermall has many choices for shoppers in a variety of category pages. Sending some one to EA, TD or Overstock where they average many page views navigating the offerings means then can't get back to my merchant referral page.

I purposely have never promoted any Popup blocker as they can never be trusted to not block cookies and target="new" or target="_blank" HTML commands. I do use POW when surfing News websites as they are full of popups.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

So I'm confused...are the popup blockers blocking links set to open in new browsers or not? Or are some blocking and others not? Is AOL blocking? Should I be worried?

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

A little common sense would go a long way here. If someone installed a popup blocker that didn't allow them to click on links that opened in new windows they would say to themselves "this software sucks" and remove it.

Maybe most would. I could see my mom, though, who does buy alot of things through the "world wide interweb", becoming confused and annoyed as to "why the stupid link doesn't work" and just give up, and not fully equate it to her popup blocker. ??

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

EcomCity:
    News sites full of popups? Ouch! I feel like I've been lumped into an unattractive group there!
    Honestly, if I had feelings, they'd be hurt!

[for the record, we have a cookie-based subscription popup that occurs once every 30 days]

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I troll the major news sites keeping up on world issues daily. They all popup the same old tired advertisments which 99% of the public would never click on....negative branding for the merchants pooring bucks into Ad campaigns from Cheap Tickets -Orbitz -the Mortgage hypsters and many who love the Opt-out spamm farms.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    A little common sense would go a long way here. If someone installed a popup blocker that didn't allow them to click on links that opened in new windows they would say to themselves "this software sucks" and remove it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're giving the average surfer waaaay too much credit. I don't think most would realize what had happened.

----
    -JM

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread