Anybody know how to network an XP desktop printer with a Vista laptop?
    I have tried for four days to network my new Vista laptop with my old XP desktop. I can share files just fine, all files are visible on both. I can connect to the internet on the Vista through the network. I can see the printer on the XP desktop and I can run the install. I have tried to network it as a wireless and as a local printer (then changed the port after install). I have downloaded the Vista driver from the manufacturer's website.

It will print fine from the Vista laptop when I plug in the USB directly from the printer. But when I try to print wirelessly, it will give me the following error:

Printer spooler subsystem app service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

I get this error every time. I have tried a billion different things. Anyone have any idea how to get this thing to print wirelessly?

It is a Dell laptop and an OKI printer. I have the XP desktop networked with another XP laptop and it works fine. Is this a Vista thing, or a blonde thing for me ?

Thanks,
    Bettylou

I forgot to mention that the file sharing is on for all machines.
    Last edited by bettylou; January 12th, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added file sharing information

You have set up the laptop so that printer is its default printer - or tried via Add Hardware in Vista? (grasping at straws)

Yeah, I've tried that. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Hey bettylou, I'm blonde too, but pretty tech savvy.. it's definitely not you!!

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2680&SiteID=17

This is the closest I have come to the answer.. it hasn't worked for me yet, but only because I haven't had time to review/uninstall any XP desktop OEM software.

If this works for you, let me know, I'll take another shot.. I'm still using USB method (walk over to printer & plug into laptop!).

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Had the same problems...

Downloaded Network Magic (free version) and ran it on the machines with the problem and everything works perfectly now.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

It's easy to network a printer connected to an XP machine with a Vista Laptop

Just enable network sharing on the printer via your XP machine

Turn on your Vista Machine, Click Start > Network > Add a Printer > Add A network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer, provided your XP machine is sharing the printer correctly the Printer will display in a list of printers.

Just select the printer and it will add.

Also note that your PRINTER must have Vista Certified drivers as the generic vista driver may not always work when networking.

I know it's easy, but there are some known bugs... while the printer can easily be added, the resulting problem is an "Access denied" error message when trying to print. Vista can see the printer, and this seems to be specific to printing from Vista to XP Home.

I'm going to try Network Magic, as I don't want to uninstall the HP OEM software on my desktop (I rather like it).

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    It's easy to network a printer connected to an XP machine with a Vista Laptop

Just enable network sharing on the printer via your XP machine

Turn on your Vista Machine, Click Start > Network > Add a Printer > Add A network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer, provided your XP machine is sharing the printer correctly the Printer will display in a list of printers.

Just select the printer and it will add.

Also note that your PRINTER must have Vista Certified drivers as the generic vista driver may not always work when networking.
    I have tried this method (I think about 10 times ) and no luck. The XP is sharing and it does show, the network install works fine but when I try to print, nothing prints, then the print spooler stops. I have to restart the spooler every time. I have also tried setting it up as a local port and naming it \\XPname\printername. That way I can install the Vista driver at that point. This also stops the print spooler. However, the printer will work fine if I connect directly with the USB cable and install it on the vista laptop.

Could you explain what you mean by Vista Certified versus the generic driver. I downloaded the vista driver from the Okidata website. Would this be certified?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Just wish the darn thing would print wirelessly.

Bettylou
    Last edited by bettylou; January 15th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Bettylou, I suspect your drivers are just fine (mine were certified but still couldn't print over the network)

You should download/install the software recommended by Michelle.. it solved my problem!

Finally can print from wireless Vista laptop...

Thanks teezone,
    I am downloading that program as we speak. I have it set up on the vista, waiting for the download on the XP. I was messing around with a little on the vista and it does look kinda nifty! I will let you know if it helps me with the printer issue.

Thanks again to all!

Bettylou;
    I'm not using Vista, but I am networked to a printer on another computer. The first time I tried to print, I also got an "access denied" error or something similar. I discovered that Norton was blocking access and in order get the printer to work, I had to "disable internet security".

If you have Norton installed on either or both machines, try right clicking on the little Norton Internet Security logo in the tray at the bottom of your screen, and then click "disable". (you may have to do it on both machines). Then see if you can print something.
    Ken

Which machine is the spooler shutting down on? The Vista or the XP?

Have you tried updating the driver on the XP Machine to the newest from Oki, to match the one for Vista as closely as possible?

Thanks guys for all of your responses.

It was the Vista machine that was giving the error. I was able to get it to print by setting the printer properties to "Print directly to the printer" rather than for spooling.

After 8 days of trying everything, reinstalling Vista twice on the laptop and even re-installing XP on the desktop (thinking maybe if I started fresh without any security programs, etc), restarting the printer spooler a million times, it turns out one checkbox was all the I needed to check to make the thing print wirelessly.

.....Darn Checkbox!

Thanks again,
    Bettylou

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread